Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve C.

Has the sheen worn off a little?

62 posts in this topic

Post are seldom deleted or censored - if the post is offensive or hateful then after discussion it may be shuffled off the main stream - The general approach is you are all adults - but sometime things get a bit too personal or heated so the Mods have to make the call - and it usually is with discussion. The Moderators are far from being evil authoritarians - there is much angst at times as what to do - so much so some of them have started to dress in black, adopt a goth life style, listen to old The Cure albums for hours on end, and get excessive body piercings - seriously though - if you have an issue - PM them or post - they will explain how the decision was reached and with a bit of discussion the post may be resurrected - if you still don't agree - PM me or a BOD member - not saying we will side with you but at least we will have a look. We are going to work very hard at making the way things work a lot more open and visible - and by We I mean the entire club - 'cause members need to make an effort to understand a bit too.Sometimes post are moved to align better with where they should be - and sometimes if there is a major netiquete faux pas it will be dealt with (in the example given - all that was needed was a bit of text around the link - and if the poster had read the mod's note - that was an option).Instead of excluding other sites and such - we should see them as an extension of the knowledge about the smart - coming from the IT world I have seen some very heated battles about PC vs Mac Windows vs Linux etc. but you know - in the end it don't matter that much - it is what ever works for the person using the product - same goes for web sites. If people find what they want here turns their crank - then they will be back.How to best do that - Exclusivity? Limit to a specific area? Count only blue cars? Nope - the answer lies in building excellent content and presenting it in the way people think and are used to - the rest of the answer is a sense of ownership - making folks feel like they have a place here - new members, old member, lurkers - who ever. Build it and they will come!If you are keen on this you have a part too - post like there is no tomorrow - if every member posted once a week - do the math - damn need a few more toes - even little bits of info go towards making a bigger picture - a simple "Hi - glad you are here" (kudos to people like rrrucke that make that effort!) to a new member goes a real long way - pointing new members the right way with out blasting them out of the water is important - but most of all treat each other with respect in your posts - if it is not something you would say to the person's face give a lot of consideration before you would post it.Now of course we need to encourage people to be members - just hanging out at a web site can get a bit blasé - so what are we going to do 'bout that? Well some very simple things go a long way. One thing I am going to ask the BOD to address is a membership package - something simple - some decals - some info - just stuff to acknowledge the member - but also to make them part of the club. This also goes towards expanding the club - some club cards - the web address on a sticker - all grab new smarties (and us not so new ones)! The other aspect is fun - and the best way I know of to have fun is to get together and socialize with events. We will be looking at how the club as a whole can help make this happen - both through direct actions such as hosting at a club level and promotion - and by helping folks figure out how to make events successful. Not just Canada but Universe wide - okay - no diesel in the outer galaxy - Worldwide!Okay - I will hope down off the soap box now LOL - glad to see you are all motivated and discussing this and that is to be encouraged - as long as you are doing informational posts too! ;) - now mine and the BOD's job is to get a focus going and help get this party started!Cheers,Cameron

Edited by Speedie

In my opinion, the time for CsC to make inroads into the U.S. by making contact with the Penske dealer network was a year ago. Every dealer could have been handing out CsC info sheets and membership cards.SCOA is now eating CsC's lunch, and i suspect that anything CsC does at this point will be "too little too late".

Edited by darren

No, and that would never be a rule. That was something that caused problems over at MBCanada.com and annoyed everyone.Unless I'm mistaken, what happened was that a new "How To" topic was created that merely contained a link to an article over at SCOA. While the information and the contribution were appreciated, it was suggested that simply posting a link was poor netiquette.We post links all the time in response to people's questions. In my case, it's quite often a link to Evilution's site; however, I would never just create a series of How To topics that just created a link to each of Evilution's pages.

1st off the link was a valid, how to topic on releasing stuck shifter boxes so that folks could drive home. The link was to my own post at SCOA. There were photos and text that took time to create. Yet you guys raised so much hell. I had to recreate the post, retrieve the photos from my camera and repost the whole thing on CsC. All because you did not want a direct link to SCOA to appear on your site. I had never heard of the CsC version of "netiquette" until you and others quoted it to me. Here's part of that thread. A2Jackhttp://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=14406And here's the post that got me in trouble. Sure sounds like you were setting policy to me. :o)http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=14335 Edited by a2jack

I had to recreate the post, retrieve the photos from my camera and repost the whole thing on CsC. All because you did not want a direct link to SCOA to appear on your site.

Could you not simply copy/paste the information from one post to another? That would have been quicker than having to get the photos off your camera all over again. :huh:

To be fair, it's a common netiquette rule that there should be some actual text in a post along with links. I don't see anyone in that thread saying "don't link to SCoA from CsC", I just see people saying that posting only a link with no content isn't as helpful as posting instructional text along with a link.

Funny - re-reading that now it seems all warm and fuzzy - hardly "raising hell".edit: I can't spell.

Edited by Gent

Gent, let's end this. Some of the original thread went missing when it was transfered from "How To" to "Site Feedback" so we will never really know what happened here. I was left with the impression you guys were erecting a wall around CsC, and asked the Admn to clarify the rules.Here is the reply. "No, we don't have a policy regarding linking to other forums, but in my mind if the sole purpose of the link is to take someone elsewhere, rather than being a compliment to our members, then it shouldn't be allowed."-" Steven"So now I ask the BOD to please post The CsC policy. And not bang posters for violating rules that are only in your mind. :lol: A2Jack.

From the Rules and Guidelines page:

External Links - In general, external links are fine. However, the following will not be allowed: 1) Link-only posts (posts that contain nothing other than a link) should not occur except when in direct response to a question where someone asked for such a link. Link-only posts will never be allowed as the first post in a topic. The thread starter should always provide some reasonable commentary as to what the person will find when following that link, or quote a partial passage from the resulting link when appropriate. 2) Links to other forums or smart sites will be allowed so long as they are not presented in a way deliberately intended to drive our Members from our site to competing communities. In short – if it is helpful to our Members, then it is allowed. If it is helpful only to the person posting it – then its not. At the Moderator’s discretion, this can be grounds for a warning or banned at the Administrator’s discretion if it is simply spam.

From the Rules and Guidelines page:External Links - In general, external links are fine. However, the following will not be allowed: 1) Link-only posts (posts that contain nothing other than a link) should not occur except when in direct response to a question where someone asked for such a link. Link-only posts will never be allowed as the first post in a topic. The thread starter should always provide some reasonable commentary as to what the person will find when following that link, or quote a partial passage from the resulting link when appropriate. 2) Links to other forums or smart sites will be allowed so long as they are not presented in a way deliberately intended to drive our Members from our site to competing communities. In short – if it is helpful to our Members, then it is allowed. If it is helpful only to the person posting it – then its not. At the Moderator’s discretion, this can be grounds for a warning or banned at the Administrator’s discretion if it is simply spam.

You were splitting hairs calling me down on that post. The title clearly stated this was "the get home fix for you stuck shifter".I think a person clicking my link could reasonably expect to find information about a fix to get home with a stuck shifter. :) No plot to steal business from CsC. So I did comply with rules 1. and 2. This is fun but let's end it. Peace... :) A2Jack

I have trouble walking away when things are still incorrect, but ok deez.

i always thought this was a canadian club, arent our founders in canada? and we welcome our friends from the u.s and elsewhere, but i didnt think we were trying to be non-commital to our geographic location. whats wrong with being identified as a canadian smart car site? all the meetings and get togethers posted on here take place in canada, right? ive never thought of this as being anything but canadian, didnt realize it was any different.yes, we are for "everyone" who loves smart cars, but the few who visit from the states or the u.k or whatever know when we talk about driving in winter, that its a canadian winter we're talking aboot...no?i'd say we should be proud to be canadian, and welcome visitors from anywhere as always to our "canadian" site, just like we welcome our immigrants to live here. they may be from any country in the world, but they are still visiting a canadian site, bottom line. why not be proud of that? i am a member in the "international" section of the cube club in the u.k., for the little nissan car, and am welcomed when i visit, but it is a british site i know i'm on. why cant we be the same? my name is steve, and I AM CANADIAN...( a little in-joke to our foriegn guests, relates to a commercial aired on canadian tv). welcome to our canadian based site, friends from around the globe, and come back anytime !! sing along now...good things grow oh oh, in ontario.

all the meetings and get togethers posted on here take place in canada, right?

Nope, far from it; one of the more recent ones was in Strasbourg and Hambach, France; we've also had notable ones in Joyce Washington, Seattle Washington, Vermont, Michigan,.....Sure it's a Canadian Club, but we do go international when we can. We had more CsC members in Hambach than we had at the last Victoria and Nanaimo regular monthly meetings!