Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
For2

Electric Smart FORTWO

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've heard complaints about silent running vs pedestrians leveled at hybrids as well. It's an issue that will likely be answered with legislation at some point---- perhaps mandatory baseball cards/clothes pegs for the wheels.

Edited by deezle

Or a reversing beeper that works in forward gear too ;)

Maybe a loud buzzer or ringing alarm bell hooked to a proximity meter...Actually some kind of noise maker would be sensible and it probably doesn't have to be that loud. A soft whirr might be all it takes.

The golf carts at the airport use an electronic chirp and it bugs the shit out of most people. A soft hum, like that emitted by older AC PWM controllers would be effective. The Montreal metro's PWMs make a pleasant -- and very distinctive -- noise. I'll look for a sample.

How about pedestrians who are trained to look all ways before stepping off the curb?

Oh pshaw, education is overrated and furthermore, learning is work! People are too stupid anyway. I swear, I can't understand why we even let people walk around by themselves!

I've heard complaints about silent running vs pedestrians leveled at hybrids as well. It's an issue that will likely be answered with legislation at some point---- perhaps mandatory baseball cards/clothes pegs for the wheels.

We could always let Darwin take care of the problem :P Pedestrian need to learn that legislation cannot overcome the laws of physics; even if a person has the legal right of way (or thinks they do), stepping in front of a several hundred kgs of rapidly moving machinery can hurt.MG

The golf carts at the airport use an electronic chirp and it bugs the shit out of most people. A soft hum, like that emitted by older AC PWM controllers would be effective. The Montreal metro's PWMs make a pleasant -- and very distinctive -- noise. I'll look for a sample.

I remember that sound, being a former St-Lambert (South Shore) resident. I think the sounds was really close to the first three notes from Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Fanfare for the Common Man. Very inspired!! :guitar:

I remember that sound, being a former St-Lambert (South Shore) resident. I think the sounds was really close to the first three notes from Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Fanfare for the Common Man. Very inspired!! :guitar:

I always thought that was Aaron Copeland.

Lots of cars with internal combustion engines and effective exhaust silencers run so quietly that you might think that they were electric.

I always thought that was Aaron Copeland.

Copeland is indeed the composer but ELP did a pretty cool rendition

I can see it now (or hear it): Drivers will be able to download drivetones for their electric cars in much the same way as ringtones are now downloaded for cellphones. Our roads will become a cacophony of discordant sounds worse than the horn-honking of any Calcutta traffic.

How about pedestrians who are trained to look all ways before stepping off the curb?

Pedestrian need to learn that legislation cannot overcome the laws of physics; even if a person has the legal right of way (or thinks they do), stepping in front of a several hundred kgs of rapidly moving machinery can hurt.

Oh pshaw, education is overrated and furthermore, learning is work! People are too stupid anyway. I swear, I can't understand why we even let people walk around by themselves!

I am afraid that I do take offence to these comments. :angry: My son is legally blind. He is not stupid and he listens for the sound of a car before stepping off a curb if it is not one of the "sound signal" crossings. Have You tried crossing the street in front of a silent running car? He had an extremely close call with a silent running Honda one day and it was only luck that a fellow pedestrian warned him.Electric cars DO need to have some sort of sound that the blind can identify.

smartvancouver, but I'm not blind at all and yet I can hear the electric motors. Granted if it's in the middle of downtown, I won't be able to but usually those have chirps.What about the red/white stick? Would that help the driver if he taps the curb or something like that to indicate that he has intentions to cross the road?Honestly, it's not the blind that I have problems with, it's kids with headphones that cross the road before looking >.<