The preferred engine   79 members have voted

1. 1. in your 451 smart

• 70 HP non-turbo gasoline
    • 70 HP mhd soft-hybrid non-turbo gasoline
    • 84 HP turbo gasoline
    • 98 HP BRABUS turbo gasoline
    • 112 HP BRABUS Ultimate 112
    • 49 HP cdi diesel, closed loop particulate filter

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Simple question: if you were buying a new smart today, which engine would you prefer to have, assuming these were all available where you live?

Edited by Mike T

turbo is nice but I don't wanna deal with turbo issues (although I guess there won't be any if you drive lightly). I therefore vote for the mhd.

I vote the 49 HP cdi diesel. 2nd choice would the MHD soft-hybrid non-turbo gasoline.

Not surprising with this crowd how the numbers are shaping up. Once you go diesel you never go back! How about a mild hybrid diesel :) thats sort of the way I drive anyway.

I voted for the 112, but really, I'd prefer getting an old 101 and cranking it up to 120-ish ponies. If I may misquote, "Damn the turbo issues, full speed ahead!"

It's interesting that no-one has chosen the only engine that is offered for sale in North America so far....I voted for BRABUS, which I would think is about the right price/performance/fuel economy mix for me.

It's interesting that no-one has chosen the only engine that is offered for sale in North America so far....I voted for BRABUS, which I would think is about the right price/performance/fuel economy mix for me.

So what we're saying is that those of us who bought a 451 71hp version don't really want it LOL :P I think they should just drop it. Just serve the cdi, mhd and Brabus Xclusive.

I think they should just drop it. Just serve the cdi, mhd and Brabus Xclusive.

I think that comment is 100% spot-on, that would be a killer lineup!

I voted for the diesel but would gladly take the BRABUS Ultimate 112 if it was given to me. :PI'd ultimately want the pure electric version once batteries can last a long time, but the hybrid will do too. :P

Too bad that the plug-in electric wasn't listed as one of the options. It would have been interesting to see the potential demand for that, compared to the gassers and diesel.

The only options I listed in the poll were currently (no pun intended) available smart powertrains.

I voted for the cdi as well, because I believe with the current second-gen softip programming on the new 5 speed gear box, the torque of the cdi at low rpm would be a perfect match for it. I have long thought that the perfect smart for me would be a 451 passion coupe, black on black, all the options except leather, cdi engine, and a webasto diesel furnace. That way I would have fully functioning A/C with automatic temperature control for the summer, a webasto and heated mirrors and seats for the winter, and the 6-disc CD player and less intrusive TC and stability control that the 451 has. I really miss the torque that my remapped 450 had on the highway, the 70 gasser just doesn't cut it IMO. The only thing I've thought of is if the cdi was in the 451, the final drive would have to be changed to keep the revs down on the highway. I know that 5th in the 451 isn't much shorter than 6th in the 450, but 5th in the 451 would but the cdi out of it's peak torque curve at 110+. If you change the final drive ratio, however, all the gears would seem "longer" which would mean less shifting, and that's what I felt slowed the 450 down so much. So my perfect smart would be a 451 cdi as above that had a final drive in it which gave me 2500rpm @ 110 kph :D

Gerri wants to know where the brabus V6 option is :o - me I like diesel but have to admit the 84hp Euro turbo had a certain charm - and I am sure the 112 hp more so. Hmmm decisions decisions.Cheers,Cameron

So I had a long chat yesterday with someone who ought to know what may - or may not - be coming down the pipe, and sadly, none of the poll choices other than mhd seem to be on the cards.

The costs of certifying cars for North America is so massive that it is difficult to make a case for a second or third engine option on a low-volume, sensibly-priced car like the smart.....so I guess we're lucky to have the 70 HP version!

I will not give up hope though.