Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caribou

My greenhouse on wheels

14 posts in this topic

I didn't want to wait months for a car with AC, so I'm rolling around in a cute little greenhouse. From a quick Googling, I'm guessing aftermarket AC isn't an option. Snowdogs, now I can see why you ditched your 451 for air conditioning! :)Any tips on staying cool without AC? Keeping the roof shade closed on hot days is a big one.

I find that tinted windows helped in my car; I do have AC though (didn't want it but glad I have it when needed!). I leave the sunshade in the middle no-dotted part of the roof too, seems like the best spot to limit the heating. Not an issue with the 451 though... Another option would be a 12V lighter socket fan to help out a bit.37C today w/ the humidex... on the bike though, so sweat is not a problem!

You could smash all the windows out and wrap yourself in seran wrap in case it rains :lol: A/C is really the only thing I can think of.Sorry

I used a cut/fitted reflective sun visor between the sun screen and the panorama roof and seems to reduce the interior temp about 5 degree C. Another suggestion is a solar car fan that supposed to keep the interior cooler. Not sure if it works but here is the website.

There is a really big advantage for the solar tint on the windows. Try leaving the windows open an inch or so when parked.I see the car color is blue, and darks are worse at sopping up heat; try parking in shade if possible. The convection from passing air helps somewhat so try playing with the settings on your fan; more from up top, less from floor, at least you will have air passing over your skin. Plan your route; if a stop and go traffic clogged main road can be avoided, rolling along @ 30 or 40 on secondary roads at least keeps the air flowing. I have AC but I have yet to turn it on more than three times in 30 000 kms, and it gets hot in Montreal, I just think how friggen cold it will be in several short months, roll down the windows and enjoy. PS it was 30C plus here today, 85% humidity...bring it on!

You might want to pull a "SnowDogs" and trade up to one with A/C. I don't use A/C all that often either, but when I do it is sure nice to have. And that's a cabriolet, with a third less glass than a coupé!

You might want to pull a "SnowDogs" and trade up to one with A/C. I don't use A/C all that often either, but when I do it is sure nice to have. And that's a cabriolet, with a third less glass than a coupé!

Well, the mileage on diesels is pretty tempting. But then I've read about the problems so many 450 owners have experienced with AC, so I could find myself ACless in the end anyway.It's 2008, where's our ultraefficient portable AC, hovercraft, moon city, etc.?

You should check into a window tinting film called V-Kool. Unlike most tinting film this blocks infrared light which helps lower heat while blocking a low percentage of visible light.

I haven't used it on a car, but have had it installed on some Museum windows when infrared was conflicting with some sensors we were using. It was very impressive. The company in Texas recommended an installer in San Francisco. They were very helpful and responded to emails.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I feel your pain....

We looked around to see if we could find a solution before we traded in our 08...

Looked at some DYI stuff considered a peltier cooler http://www.instructables.com/id/Air-CoolerHeater/

Also looked at this to turn an ice box into an airconditioner: http://www.instructables.com/id/Air-CoolerHeater/

There is also this that may help it's a cooling seat cover: http://www.evseat.com/

Good Luck!

Edited by Snow_Dogs

I talked to a company about tinting a 451 with v-cool but the price for me was prohibitive at $399.00 USD.

I want to tint my windows but it is not allowed in New Brunswick. Even a 30% tint would help. Maybe I should look at buy some and trying it myself. At least it would be much cheaper.

I used a cut/fitted reflective sun visor between the sun screen and the panorama roof and seems to reduce the interior temp about 5 degree C. Another suggestion is a solar car fan that supposed to keep the interior cooler. Not sure if it works but here is the website.

Those solar car fans are useless because they only work if faced directly into the sun. Therefor you have to hunt for a parking space that lets you park with the side windows facing the sun whether it be to the east, south, or west of you. Not very practical! I got one on sale at CT and brought it back 20 mins later after discovering that when my butt is parked to the sun I can't use the thing. That and you have to fit out your car with window seal rubber to close the gap made by the device, AND it exposes you somewhat to thieves because of that gap. Another solution when parked is a cover over the top half of the car, A bedsheet clamped under wipers and inside doors helps a bit, or you could order one of the new california pop tops (mine is supposed to go into shipping tomorrow, hope it arrives in time for the trip)

Thanks for all the advice! I got a reflective screen for the windshield, and that does seem to help. Hey, it's Ottawa -- summer won't last too long.The panoramic roof might be great in the winter. Open it up and soak in all that solar heat!