Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shakey

Pure or Passion?

30 posts in this topic

Hello Everybody,I'm just trying to make up my mind on what I would like to order.I like most of the "upgrades" on the Passion but the Pure is priced nice.Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions about choosing between the Pure (with upgrades like AC) or the Passion?Cheers,Shakey

I looked very carefully at both, but I ended up with a Pure.

All I really wanted as an extra was air conditioning, with the pods, and the security system as an afterthought.

Adding all those things to the price of the Pure still doesn't bring it close to the price of the Passion.

It really comes down to what you want.

I would like things like heated seats and power mirrors, but the car is narrow enough that it's easy for short lil' me to reach across and manually adjust the side mirrors, and heated seats are a luxury that I decided I don't need at this point in my life (though you can rest assured, the next new car I buy in however-many years down the road is likely to have all the fancy things added on ^_^ ). As for the 6-CD changer, I haven't bought a CD in years, I buy all my music digitally so I didn't need that. I wanted a the tridion safety cell and accents to be black instead of silver anyway. I can make my own luggage compartment cover. I'm not a big enough car buff to care what the wheels or steering wheel look like. All in all, it was a way better value for me to get the Pure. A different person may look at my list here and decide the Passion is the way to go for them.

Take a look at what extras you want, and how much you really want them. I wanted my payments to be as low as possible, but I still got myself the "treat" of A/C, but I decided I didn't want the other things enough to pay for them. ;)

This being my second smart, and the first one I acutally placed an order for, I knew exactly what I wanted:Passion Coupe w/ fog lights and pods.YMMV, but I think a passion with all the options is a car with the most content you can get at $20k. And I love content because I hate ever finding myself wishing I had ordered a car with such and such an option.

I ordered a Pure with A/C, dash pod package, heated seats, heated electric mirrors. From the feedback from CDI owners the $700 power steering is not needed and just another item that could fail. I plan on picking up a set of aftermarket alloy wheels, $600 in the US and I will be installing an after market stereo system, for $690 I can build a far superior audio setup than what Smart can supply as their upgrade. I just ordered the extras that will help to make summer and winter more comfortable.If the diesel returns to Canada, the next Smart I would buy would definitely be a Cabrio.

This is where I am torn. I always told myself that when I purchase my first "brand new" car I would go for all the extras. However, after thinking about it........ is the power steering that necessary in such a small car?i've heard the panoramic roof makes it pretty hot inside.do I really need a luggage divider thingy?does it matter how many spokes the steering wheel has?Alloy rims are nice but do I really need them?I'm starting to confuse myself......... :o

If you are going to live with it for many years, get a passion. I know at least three people who cheaped out on their first smart and wish they'd optioned it up more. All three eventually changed it for one with better specifications....

I agree go for the passion!The panoramic roof without airconditioning is a rolling solarium! I traded in my 08 pure for an 05 pulse!

I purchased the passion coupe and have no regrets. The panorama roof is great and the shade that is included is handy if the sun becomes too much. I use the A/C quite often and shift pretty much exclusively with the paddles as I can keep both hands on the wheel. I also have the fog lights which worked great recently during a particularly foggy night on the Maine coast. The power steering is not over boosted and really only comes into play in certain parking situations. The extra gauges are a must have in my opinion as the tachometer allows consistent shift points for fuel conservation under normal driving conditions. The only other option I have is the stereo upgrade and the 6 disk changer with 6 speakers and the sub-woofer have proven entertaining during my daily commute.The only other consideration is resale. In the US, more options generally help when the time comes. B)

If memory serves, the residual on a Pure optioned the way I have mine was better percentage wise than a Passion model with the dash pod added.

Looks like I am leaning towards the Passion........time will tell (but the clock is ticking)......

I didn't have much choice, I wanted a 450 and had to take what was on the lot. I wound up paying 19,5k (25k after taxes and nonsense) for my baby and I couldn't be happier. Fully loaded passion. I find the leather seats don't get dirty although I had to cover them with towels for summer as they do get hot. The seat heaters are bliss on a cold winter day or a cold rainy day in which I underdressed. I find it even helps soothe my aching back muscles! The air conditioning I don't use much but when it gets really hot I am liking it. I took out the sunshade and replaced it with a cheap suctioncup roller shade from a discount store. It exactly covers the same area as the original shade but when rolled up the entire roof is open to view and even when closed I can still look up a bit. I did get some supple opaque plastic I was going to fit into the roof for summer but in fact find I don't need it. If I didn't have a/c maybe I would. I also use a reflective sunshade on the window when parked but ordered a california poptop so that'll replace that and make it much easier to set up. (half car cover meant to cover only the roof and windows)The heated mirrors and rear defroster don't get a lot of use here, our winters are so cold and dry and I park in the garage, but the electric mirrors are very handy if I discover they're out of line while I'm travelling fast on the freeway.I didn't get paddles, they weren't standard on the 06 passion, but I kind of like the feel of using the stick to shift. Makes me feel racier somehow. It took a bit of adjusting to have my hand off the wheel so much but it's okay.I'm glad I didn't get to order. First off my preferred car would have been almost exactly what I have, but paddle shifters and no a/c, (which wouldn't have been as nice) and probably a different color (but I"m falling in love with the blue), but in fact I would have cheaped out on the order and wound up getting a pure with very few options because I'm a cheapskate. As things worked out, I got a fantastic little luxury car for an econobox price.I say find out what you can afford first, based on monthly payments, then get as much car as you can out of it.

really depends what you want. I liked everything that came with the Passion package (or trim line... whichever way you wanna look at it).I love moonroofs and a fixed pano is better than a solid roof to me. Two-stage heated seats is fantastic (already used it several times) and warms up quickly. The little touches such as silver-accented interior door handle and fabric door trim (vs. plastic on the Pure) as well as a more colourful fabric design (even though I ended up with leather instead). I also liked the silver tridion/mirrors/grille for contrast with my black panels.

When I got my 2006 Pure, I could not get heated seats. I did get air conditioning which I am so grateful for but I sure wish I had spent the extra money to upgrade to a different model to get those heated seats. Otherwise, love everything about my car.

arlemen:Throw in some heated seats. There's two options: the real modification, which is detailed here on the site, or you can buy seat/back pads at Crappy Tire (the option I chose) which plug into the cig lighter (ok, this summer I am going to hard wire them into the fuse box, but last winter, they were much appreciated in N.Ontario)

When I got my 2006 Pure, I could not get heated seats. I did get air conditioning which I am so grateful for but I sure wish I had spent the extra money to upgrade to a different model to get those heated seats. Otherwise, love everything about my car.

The 2006 pure did have a heated seat option. Rarely seen (I've got maybe 7 or 8 of these spotted), but it exists.

I always say buy the top of the line on any car that I have ever owned and add the extras you will want. Re-sale is always much better when you do and you get to enjoy them while you own the car. Why save a few hundred or even a few thousand and then not be happy with the car later! <_< I bought the passion with the fogs, chrome trim, pods, etc. and am very happy with the whole package.I decided on the cloth seats (I have leather on my other 2 cars) as with all of that lovely sun coming into the car through the glass roof I knew just what would happen. Ever burn your butt on leather when wearing shorts? :o Not a happy experience! Also I found the leather cold in the winter even with my heated seats in my other 2 cars as takes a while for that heat to penetrate.Just some thoughts to keep in mind....... :D

I'm a used car buyer as a general rule. I like that I can go after the very top of the line vehicle for less than what a new base model goes for. This isn't quite as true on the Mini or the smart fortwo. In fact the resale value on a pure is higher than a passion straight from the factory so guess which way I went when I placed my order? I checked off every option block and am eagerly awaiting my lil smart. :)

I bought a 2006 Pure and just added A/C and heated seats (a must have in my view for cold winters like we get in Winnipeg given that the diesel does not pump out a ton of heat when it's minus 30). For me it was based on why I wanted the car and it seemed to me that the money saved could buy a lot of fuel. I have no regrets on getting the Pure but to each their own.

I went through the same dilema when I bought recently. I ended up going with the Pure with Air as the only option. My original thoughts were that because price was a reason in opting for the Smart in the first place, I shouldn`t turn it into a 20K car by loading it up. I talked myself into the Smart as a low-cost, fun commuter and becuase the bones are the same for both trim packages I think the options are Nice-to-haves, not need-to-haves. Also, there was no way I was paying more for "metallic paint", what a scam! All this being said, I`m glad I didn`t cheap out on the AC as was my original plan.As a side note. I got my car last Thursday and put 1500 km on it this weekend. The car is fantastic! I don`t remember ever looking for reasons to drive somewhere or fighting to take my car vs. my friends' but I feel like a kid after Christmas, waking up early to play with the new toys.Really happy I didn't talk myself out of the Smart and into a Yaris....yawn!

As a side note. I got my car last Thursday and put 1500 km on it this weekend. The car is fantastic! I don`t remember ever looking for reasons to drive somewhere or fighting to take my car vs. my friends' but I feel like a kid after Christmas, waking up early to play with the new toys.Really happy I didn't talk myself out of the Smart and into a Yaris....yawn!

Hey, exactly how I feel about mine!!! LOL, it is a blast to drive huh? I've had to struggle to get myself back on the bicycle even in summer. As fun as the bike is, the smart just thrills me. I even try to think of out of town destinations to drive to!

Never again! (Well maybe one more time. :P ) 12k now on our loaded NA451 Passion. Ready for our #2 Smart and this one will be the Pure, with, Air, Pods, Heated cloth seats... And no solar heater for summer fun.Things we never use, or wish we never heard of... Alarm* ( used to go off at 2am), Rain Sensors (big cost item in the event of cracked windshield) , Panoramic roof. (Heat), Fogs (forget we have them). Radio is the worst I've ever had in a car. In spite of some lumps, we love our car more every time we drive it. :)

Also I found the leather cold in the winter even with my heated seats in my other 2 cars as takes a while for that heat to penetrate.

The smart's heated seats are the fastest to warm up in any car I've tried. Granted, I only tried them in single digits temps and nothing below 0°C but they heat up way faster than the heater and the seatback goes quite high (nearly to my shoulders).Yeah.. I have the leather seats lol... and the aluminium handbrake which gets hot in the summer (if the sun's beaming on it, other it's just warm to the touch and still touchable) and cold in.. well even in 13°C weather it gets cold haha.