Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Worker Not

Where's the HORN?

11 posts in this topic

I installed dual air horns today. I can't find the horn to hook up the wiring. The compressor is mounted next to the left headlight behind a frame that supports the headlight. One of the trumpets is mounted next to the compressor, the other trumpet is mounted next to the right headlight. The smart horn button should work like the majority of horn buttons. When the button is pressed, it completes a ground circuit which activates the horn. I can't find the ground wire from the button. The car is a 2005 passion.

The horn is tucked up behind the steering column on the driver's side fire wall - it just sticks down a bit. There is a power and a ground wire to it - takes a standard .25 spade connector (male to go into it). It is a meep meep type diaphram horn - like they use on scooters so don't look for the trumpet partWorks best if you get the front of the car up and drop the front belly pan - you just need to drop the front few screws on it so you can get your arm up there - you can fish through with out doing this but it is a challenge to get the connectors in as the horn wires don't stretch.If you are running a compressor - you might want to just use the horn circuit to run a relay and power seperately - the original will run two standard horns (as in the fan fare option) but a compressor might be a bit much - you might get away with it though (hint - use big wire to reduce restitive losses).If you get really stuck I will have a look for a picture or two - pretty sure there is one posted here someplace.Cheers,Cameron

Several others have installed air horns and the oem electrical supply is quite sufficient to drive the air pump.

Don't ya just hate the OEM horn? It goes, "Meek, Meek" :lol:

Bil :sun:

I can't wait for my Smart to get here!One of the first mods I am planning on making is to the horn.I put what's called an "Ear Cannon" Air Horn on my motorcycle. It's a universal job that can mount to any vehicle and pushes 139db @ 4 feet. :toot: I don't really know what the rules are for posting links yet, but if you google "aerostich", it takes you to the Rider Warehouse (motorcycle goodies) web page. the search "Ear Cannon". It took me 15 minutes to bolt it on my Harley.Mike

ear cannon: "If Ethel Merman, Sam Kinison and John Philip Sousa ever had a band, and played through a wall-of-sound amp rack, it would sound like this." excellent!

ear cannon: "If Ethel Merman, Sam Kinison and John Philip Sousa ever had a band, and played through a wall-of-sound amp rack, it would sound like this." excellent!

The horn is tucked up behind the steering column on the driver's side fire wall - it just sticks down a bit. There is a power and a ground wire to it - takes a standard .25 spade connector (male to go into it). It is a meep meep type diaphram horn - like they use on scooters so don't look for the trumpet partWorks best if you get the front of the car up and drop the front belly pan - you just need to drop the front few screws on it so you can get your arm up there - you can fish through with out doing this but it is a challenge to get the connectors in as the horn wires don't stretch.If you are running a compressor - you might want to just use the horn circuit to run a relay and power seperately - the original will run two standard horns (as in the fan fare option) but a compressor might be a bit much - you might get away with it though (hint - use big wire to reduce restitive losses).If you get really stuck I will have a look for a picture or two - pretty sure there is one posted here someplace.Cheers,Cameron

thanks SpeedieI followed your instructions and I finally got the air horn to work. I had to splice into the HOT wire not the ground wire. The hardest part was trying to splice into the hot wire. Like you said it is nearly impossible but I used a fitting that allows two wires to be placed into it and then you crimp the top down forcing the wires to be pinched . The good thing is that the original horns still work. If you just tap the horn button the original horns sound but not the air horns. It takes a split second for the air compressor to build up pressure so you have to sort of hold down the horn button and you will get the original horns sounding and then both horns will sound. This will wake up any driver not paying attention to his driving. I have always installed air horns in all my vehicles.I had to replace my fourth burnt out headlight and I decided to install the horns while I had the front end off.THANKS AGAIN