Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeDCop

Someone please explain to me the process.

9 posts in this topic

I already know that it's going to take about a year and a half to get my Smart. I've already paid my $99. I did that online two days ago.From those in the US, what happens next? (assuming everything goes perfect)Mike

A year and a half wait still? What? That's crazy if accurate. Canada was 6 months to 9 months at worst in the beginning. I waited just 4 months from the date the first cars appeared for initial delivery... but I had ordered 5 months prior to that date. Mike T got his car at the same time, and had ordered waaaaay sooner, but it was the retail outlet he chose that had the delay. Had I order the car from Surrey, I would have been driving in September 2004, not January 2005.

Yep, right now it is 1.5 to 2 years from what we are being told. It seems to depend on your geographical area... here in the Washington DC area we have 3 dealers, and I see 1 or 2 a day on the road.I'm hoping that I am coming near the end of my wait, as I have been having movement with my DDE every day, until 2 days ago.I put down my $99 on 9/14/07, confirmed 3/20/08, and my current DDE is 8/8/08 - 11/6/08. As long as it makes it here in time for me to break it in and drive the 1,000 mile round trip back to Ohio for Thanksgiving I will be happy.

Edited by MDFortwoguy

If you really want one, and don't care to wait, why not get it from Canada and transport it down? I can't imagine taxes being too heavy, and the only other requirement is to change the instrument panel to miles. Look into it, I've had many inquires.

I had to sign a document when I bought mine saying I wouldn't do that.-Iain

Yes, like Iain, considering that M-B Canada attempts to impose an ultra-vires contract upon any buyer of a Mercedes or smart (I've had to sign three since 2002) that says M-B will have right of first refusal when a car is sold and also a prohibition on export, I do find it ironic that a dealer official would be suggesting this is possible.

:lol: