Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Rear wheel skirts

22 posts in this topic

Under consideration for the next eco/aero-mod. Your thoughts please...

Posted Image

Worth trying. You could go all the way and do a Basjoos! Why stop with skirts?

Worth trying. You could go all the way and do a Basjoos! Why stop with skirts?

:D baby steps, my friend, baby steps...B :sun:

I have to tell you, Bil, she might go far in life, but she isn't going to win any beauty pageants wearing those.

Hey Bill,Why no advertising on your car?

New decals on the way... I got a better offer ;)

I have to tell you, Bil, she might go far in life, but she isn't going to win any beauty pageants wearing those.

Yes, that's why I've been hesitating. I shall ponder some more...B :sun:

feels too beetle. aesthetics or functional? both? how "eco/aero"? maybe not a contrast color.

Bil,We are in the trust tree right?A look only a mother could love my friend.I don't know what else to say.We respect and love you for thinking out of the box, history proves you left brain thinkers are the winners in the end. :beamme:

The skirts don't work. They could work if they were rounded with the fenders maybe, and colored with them. Like scooter skirts rather than just flat covers. But that doesn't work, sorry. However it would be hard to create skirts that were moulded to form so if they didn't work you'd be out a lot of bother.

Yeah... sigh... They'll never look as cool as these

Posted Image

However it would be hard to create skirts that were moulded to form so if they didn't work you'd be out a lot of bother.

Cutting a pattern out of high density foam for a mold and then wet-laying fiberglass over top would produce good results if done properly, you could make your foam mold look however cool or boring you wish, and it could all be easily accomplished in an afternoon. Sanding, filling, painting, etc etc would probably eat up another day but by then you've already decided whether you like it or not since you pretty much know what it's going to look like as soon as you have the foam mold cut out.

I can't believe those HHR and PT Cruiser folks have got enough volume to have aftermarketeers make a professional skirt... but apparently they do...

Maybe we're getting stuck because of the contrast between the black and the yellow. If the black was carried on from the tridion through the back end including the skirt it would probably look better.Regardless, is there any evidence this would save on fuel consumption, or reduce the actual drag coefficient? :huh:

Under consideration for the next eco/aero-mod. Your thoughts please...

If You park in the other direction it looks different, - OR ? :huh:

CcL :rolleyes:

post-90-1216488769_thumb.jpg

I like it! I've thought for a while if there'd be any way to do it. The problem I always hit up against was that the front of the arches curves in toward the tridion, so the skirt has to be a profiled shape (not just a flat panel). It would be interesting to actually calculate what the drag is. And wether or not the "inside" of the wheel needs to have some kind of... skirt as well (ie, there are big gaps and chunks out of the aerodynamic profile of the car back where the engine is anyway). I always liked the insight, even though all my friends critisize it's design because of the skirts....That HHR is awesome. HoverHHR. LOL-Iain

Skirts were a Citroën thing for a long time and on the right car, I like them too.