Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SmartORStupid

Smart or Stupid?

29 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,I have been looking to buy a car casually over the past few months ( i take transit or mooch rides from family) I am a almost 21 year old male looking to buy his first car (i used to drive a 87 aerostar from parents), I am also quite tall at 6' 4". With the rising price of gas I was thinking about possibly just not buying a car as it seemed like such a big expense and didnt really excite me much at all. Then I stumbled upon the smart car. I read a review about it and saw that suprisingly they fit people up to 6' 5". I immediately wanted one, I went to test drive one the next day and I found it to be pretty good with a few exceptions. The rear view mirror blocked my front right view and really ruined the otherwise super fun driving experience. Also the fabric cieling in the cabrio model touched my head when closed so i couldnt really close it. I loved the view and the handling of the car and it seemed pretty fun to drive. I also loved the fact that i was driving somthing unique and different. My car was somthing that not everyone else had and I could actually afford it! Most cars do not compete with the smart in price where i live (canada), however the hyundai accent does it is about 2000 dollars cheaper then the base smart after everything is said and done (automatic model). This is taking the 2000 dollar rebate into account for the smart. I know now is the time to buy a smart if i am going to do it. Most people I mention the smart too have negative reactions like what a joke car/ little car for the money/ unsafe / unpractical. I can't help but feel some of this is true. Once the novely wears off will I be left with regret? The hyundai accent does not particularly appeal to me in an emotional way like the smart but I cant deny the logic. It has a better warranty, bigger engine and more space.I know you guys cant decide for me but did any of you face similar problems? What did you do? and most importantly now how do you feel about your choice?HELP SMARTIES!

I've had mine for nearly four years and 100,000 km and I've not had a second of regret. I am only an inch shorter than you, BTW and I fit in my cabrio well.Unsafe, etc....joke car....well it's not "unsafe" or it would not be for sale, and whether it is a joke or not seems to be in the eye or the beholder. The joke is on the non-believers, when I average under 4.0 L/100 km.....but the gas one does burn more, probably in the 5.5 range.Bigger engine in the Hyundai? Since when it that a good idea? It's great for burning more fuel.Ask yourself if you need a car, any car. If the answer is "yes" then ask yourself whether you NEED more than two seats in a car. That should seal it right there.So Hyundai's warranty is better than 4 years, 80,000 km? Impressive, if it is.

Yeah hyundai has a 5 year 100,000 km warranty I believe I dont need more then 2 seats I guess except for the odd occasion. The car would primarily be used for driving me to school and soccer as well as to friends houses or things of that nature with the odd couple hour road trip. I almost never drove with more then 2 people in teh car when I drove my van most of it was solo driving.My Dad doesnt mind the smart its just he seems to be trying to convince me the hyundai is a more practical car. I was also worried about the Smarts gas milage not being that big of a difference over the hyundai? I have read a few places that the smarts gas mileage was unimpressive for the gas version some where around 6 -6.5 100km but if it truly does get 5.5 then that is pretty good.If I do get it im going to have to remove the rear view mirror and remount it or somehow get a new one to fit on the wierdass stock mount mercedes put in that car :( I guess i might have to rig up somthing from scratch.How has your car done reliability wise? Have you needed to fix a lot of things? Im scared of the mercedes dealer costs :SI Think the fact that ive posted on 2 smart car forums and have barely read about the hyundai accent tells you what car i actually want I guess im just a little scared of the hardcore negative reactions some people have to the car O WELL GO BIG OR GO HOME RIGHT or in this case go small :)

Mine has had a few things replaced under warranty and the only non-warranty repair was a clutch actuator at 85,000 km for $740. That last thing was hard to take, given the warranty had barely expired, but them's the breaks. At least it was diagnosed properly and fixed the first time.The dealer costs more or less the same labour rate as any other dealer. I just had my Mercedes B 200's annual service done at 20,000 km and it was $200.The hardcore neative reactions are fun to deal with, it's all good.

My opinion.You have to go with your heart or you will regret getting either car. both are mechanically sound. If you really like the funkyness of the smart than it is for you.weigh the pros and cons of both make a two colum list. everthing from the plastic body panels to engine specs that sometimes helps. see which one has more for the buck as well. Especially the convertble if that's what you are after. Some have had no repair issues they just don't post much. Others when they have a problem make a lot of noise so it looks as though the smart is needing a lot of repairs. If you take care of your ride it will come through for you.are you thinking of gas or deisel?There was another young man who really had almost the same sitting on the fence reaction as you and now he has never regretted his smart. Even traveled to France to see where it was made. He loves it so. As for just driving on occasion I think once you get it you will be one of the ones who just drives two to three hours for the sheer joy of it.come on Duck wade into this discussion. Help the kid out.Just my thoughtsKaren

One of the guys I work with has a new Accent, and hates it. He is trying everything possible to get out of the lease. The fuel economy is especially bad, I actually get better mileage with my 2.3L Mazda3. (he gets around 10L/100km)

Hi SmartORStupid,Smart seems like a very good buy to me. But if to consider another brand, I might consider a Toyota over a Hyundai. Don't get wrong, Hyundai is a very practical car. My sister's been driving her Elantra for 5 yrs trouble free. Well, one incident but that was covered by the warranty. Something's wrong with the cooling system I think. Anyway, I like the Elantra also, but would definitely choose the Toyota Yaris over the Hyundai Accent. Yaris provides better protection (crash test results), and it's even more reliable, perhaps way more...Though they're same cheap to run and to maintain, but Toyota seems to last forever! You know, my aunt's 11 yrs old Camry is still running same silky smooth and quiet as it was brand new! All you need is regular oil and filter change with the Toyota and it seems to run forever, and held up quite good as well. In fact, she loves her Toyota so much she just bought a Yaris recently and gave the Camry to her sister as a gift. The Caravan (my other aunt's car) got so much trouble and it's not worth keeping/maintaining anymore... that's why my aunt's giving her beloved Camry to her sister. Long story... :PWell, true that you won't find much driving excitement from a Camry, but it's pretty much one of the most practical cars on the market. Well, guess many will yank at my face for saying that :PMy choice....#1 smart Pure (cos i couldn't afford the Passion)#2 Toyota Yaris#3 Mini (i like it more than the Yaris but Mini is expensive)Oh, I like the smart cabriolet a lot, but for about the same money... I choose a 6 speed manual Mini with xenon headlight better :)People are gonna hate me lol XD

I've had my smart since the middle of January of this year. I have just a bit over 5,000 miles (8,000km) on it. I've had no problems so far. I'm 6'4" 250lbs and I'm comfortable in it. The rear view mirror is some times annoying, but not so much that I feel the need to do something about it. If it's blocking my view I move my head a little and I'm ok. With the AC on full blast and driving about 50% highway at 70-75mph, 50% local I'm getting 37MPG (6.3l/100km). I've gotten as high as 45mpg (5.2l/100km) going slower with no AC.I chose the smart because of it's looks, small size, and just because it's different. Overall I'm happy with my choice. If the smart was my only car I might have looked at other vehicles, but I find it hard to find a car that has enough head room so my choices are limited. I go to work 8 miles each way, and on weekends drive about 100miles (160km) each way to see friends. If I did a lot of long distance driving I would be happier with a car that had more interior room, and a quieter ride.

I agree with those that said to make a Pros/Cons chart for both cars you like. The things that are pros to someone else may not be very important to you.

Does the ceiling actually hit your skull, or does it just crush your hair and feel funny? Could you live with it, or does it make you slouch or sit at an awkward angle in the driver's seat? If you feel you "couldn't really close [the top]", what will you do in the winter? Test drive it again. Others who are 6'4" can drive it comfortably, but what matters here is that you feel comfortable in your own car.

Replacing a rear-view mirror is easy if you do need to do it.

I currently have a 2000 Hyundai Accent, and I'm swapping it for a 2008 Smart. ^_^

The new Accents are soooo much nicer then mine is, though mine has never had any real TLC. It was someone's student car that I bought to be my student car. It's had some issues, but I know the new Hyundais are much better than the used to be, and there's no way for me to tell how many of my problems could have been prevented if the car was properly taken care of for its whole life. All in all, I like my Accent. It's a good, dependable car.

But about 90% of the time, it's just me driving to/from work or around town on errands. I don't need a car that seats 5 to do those things! For the times when I need to fit more people in the car, my husband has a Hyundai Elantra. Look at your lifestyle and see if the Smart is right for you too.

Yes, the Accent is cheaper than the Smart, and Hyundai can offer finance rates such as 0% or 1.9% and MB won't offer that (check with your bank to see if they can beat the MB rate for you). But I want a Smart; I've wanted one for years now so to me, it's totally worth it to buy a Smart that I really want for a bit more money than an Accent that would be quite nice, but not what I really want.

My wife had a Hyundai and while it was not the most comfortable car it was reliable and we didn't have any major problems with it. She has since moved on to a Volvo S70. This was a lot of years ago and it's my understanding that the quality has improved even more so.I drive a 2006 Smart and I have 24,000 kil on it. I have had a couple turbos go on it (this is not the norm I am told but nevertheless they needed replacing); the AC konked out this summer and was repaired under warranty but other than that it has been a great and reliable car. I drive it year round and through some brutally cold and snowy winters and it does the job. I take it on road trips to the cabin (me, my wife. two dogs and some gear) and it handles that well. The fuel economy of the diesel is much better than the Smart gas model and for that reason I don't know if I would have bought a Smart if it didn't have the diesel. It's a fun car to drive even with all its little quirks.We decided to buy the Smart because I had seen them in Europe and had heard from friends there that it was a tough little vehicle. We considered other small cars (Toyotas; Nissans; Hyundais) but quite frankly they seemed a little boring.For what it is worth to you, I have never regretted buying the Smart. Good luck with the decision.

I too thought long and hard before the purchase - ooh about two months. For me it is my commuter car to and from work, but we got it because my wife said she was driving the van with only one other person or I would be commuting in my car alone.That being said if this was my only car it would not be my car - as there are five in the family and the seat count is off. Regardless, when your Dad wants to compare the smart to the Accent - think what the actual difference in costs is - do you get ABS, ESP and the brake system with the Accent. What are their crash stats like. If you want a cabrio, which means passion, then what are the additional costs you would have to spend to get a similarly equipped Accent - never mind they don't have a cabrio in the first place. The 06's are going fast and you may not have a chance to get one of them if you are after a diesel. The 08s are going quickly too, but if you want something different . . .It is still your choice, so don't let any of us brow beat you into the smart or the accent.Whatever you decide - drive it carefully and enjoy "your first one".Jim :)

I am having the identical issue. I also am trying to decide between the Accent and the smart. It will be my only vehicle, but it is only me and the dog. The only difference is that this is vehicle #2 for me, and I'll be 20 next week. My 2003 Honda Civic is a POS that I cannot seem to sell! My Mom has a 2002 Accent, and it is a hardy little bugger. Any weather, any road- never a problem. We had a weird little auto shifter issue, cost $50 to fix including an oil change ;). Exciting car- hell no.The smart fits me for the next few months, but I don't know where I will be working and living as of the spring, so it could suddenly become very impractical- may not. Anyone have a crystal ball they could loan me?Oh, and if you live on the East Coast, you'll either have to order a 2009, or buy used. Neither MB dealership in the Maritimes can get a 2008 anymore.Melissa

To the first guy.If you are comparing Smart with Hyundai get the Hyundai. Don't waste your money if you think they're in the same bracket.

well I just went back to the smart dealer I was prepared to make them an offer for the car, I sat in it again with my dad. I really like the car styling and such and I just cant even see myself buying a hyundai accent anymore. The only problem is I am still concerned maybe I am too big for the car. My dad who is 6" said the visibility was limited out the windshield. Compared to our toyota matrix I could see his point. My eye level is basically looking straight with the top of the windshield and I am sitting somewhat far back to make leg room for my legs. As a result I might have trouble seeing traffic lights etc and its a safety issue is what he said. I could see his point and I dont want to be having to hunch forward to check if the lights changed etc. However I hear all the time of people taller then me buying and driving the car. I dont understand do they not have these visibility issues at all or is he just making a big deal out of nothing cause he wants me to make sure I make the right choice. I told him to take it for a test drive and see if it bothers him. I also want to take it for another test. Also can you still buy the 06 diesel model in canada? If so can you use the ecoauto rebate? Can you use that rebate on used cars bought from another person or only from a dealer? used or new only from dealer?Appreciate all the opinions you guys have given me so far. Love the smart I just think that maybe it wasnt built for someone of my size. Although I find myself wanting to overlook a lot of these little kinks just cause i like it so much.

Also can you still buy the 06 diesel model in canada? If so can you use the ecoauto rebate? Can you use that rebate on used cars bought from another person or only from a dealer? used or new only from dealer?

Hi there,You can certainly buy 06 models used (There are probably some for sale on this very forum, or on eBay. They also crop up at non-MB dealers from time to time).The ecoRebate applies only to the 2008 model, purchased new. You don't say where you're from, but 2008s are getting more scarce around Ottawa. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that you'll find a used 2008 somewhere.

Hmmm, I think there are still a few 06 diesels available new and, as far as I know, the eco-rebate does apply to a new 06 as long as you buy it before the end of the year...could be wrong though...

You mentioned you've demo'd the Cabrio. I'm 6'1" with over 160000 on my Smart. I suggest you demo the coupe as I believe there might be a little more noggin room.I track all my maintenance costs: It's worked out to 6.8 cents per klm. (Not including the additional costs associated with draining the tank two times after lending my car to other people who accidentally filled it with gas instead of diesel.) I always do regular oil changes, but stopped paying for the full "A" and "B" service intervals after the warranty expired.I don't know if that is inexpensive or cheap, but I would still buy another one, given my options available.Good luck with your decision,Ken

My hubby is 6'2" most of it in the body and arms LOLwith the seat back and the seat back back he can and does wear his daily hat with the fancy long feathers, can see through the mirror and windscreen. We've got the sunroof model and loved it so much we bought a second on Monday. The trick seems to be reclining the back back a bit but that's his preferred driving method anyway 'cause his arms at 39" and that's comfortable. Me, I like the seat back straight up and the seat forward but, 5'4" will do that to you...Buy what you feel safe in 'cause if you don't feel safe, I don't want to meet you on the street somewhere but, we love our smarties...

I am 6'3" and have no problems - every intersection has a stoplight lower down too, just look for it.

with the seat back and the seat back back he can and does wear his daily hat with the fancy long feathers, can see through the mirror and windscreen.

Ok, you can't just tease us like that, we need pictures :P MG

I was in your place almost exactly 3 years ago, when I finally made the big step of placing an order for my smart.

I was then driving a '98 Tercel, with about 190 000 km on the odo, perfectly good car. Solid, reliable, Japanese... would have gone on forever. I liked it... but I didn't love it. Driving was a chore and a bother and after test driving a smart (and driving Cait's at some of the events), I decided that life's too short and it was time to do it.

Lots of doubt. Why would I go from a car with 5 seats to 2? Why would I drop from 93 to 40 hp? Why would I get a city car, when 98% of my driving is on 401? How could I fit my 6'-3" frame into a car the size of a sack of potatoes? My family and friends thought I was nuts. My parents doubted my decision all the way until the day that I placed the order, when they finally took a ride in one.

When my dad was in Tennessee for work, I came down and visited him and he drove my car for 4 days through the mountains in Gatlinburg. I have never seen my dad with a bigger smile on his face in my life. His impressions of this fantastic machine have changed dramatically.

You have to ask yourself a question:

Do you want a car that will get you from one spot to another, with no passion, or do you want something that you will be excited to use, something that puts a smile on your face every time you walk up to it?

And there is nothing wrong with using a car as an appliance. That's what they are! They're tools. But the fortwo is so much more. You will enter into one of the most rewarding non-physical relationships of your life in this car.

196 000 km in, the commute to and from my work is still the best part of my day. I stare out my window at my car and I can't wait for 5pm. I take back roads with the windows down and stare out the glass roof. Life is good.

-Iain

I should clarify - I thought about this all day (on the road). If the Accent feels right, and it puts a smile on your face... go for it! No one can tell you what will work for you except yourself. For all I know the Accent could be a ton of fun, one of my buddies has one all tricked out and he thinks it's great. :)My point was just that... the smart is something different and you gotta go with your heart.-Iain

Try the coupé. It'll have a bit more space and plus you can look through the roof to see the traffic lights. I was in a similar position as you were 3 months ago except that my choices were the Yaris/Corolla, Fit and Versa vs. the smart.The bonus I see is that you won't always be the designated driver (I don't mean just to the bar but to other events and such that you and your friends go to. We have a Prius at home and boy do I get a lot of "you drive"....)

re: Headroom. My husband is 6'2 1/2' and has more headroom than in his Ford Ranger 4X4! He just reclines the seat a bit further in my smart than I do.I LOVE my smart, I too looked at an accent last summer... no comparison in my books!

are any of you stopping so that you can see the lights, versus having the fortwo sitting right at the stop line. just because your car is significantly shorter doesn't mean the nose has to be at the light. try to remember that the last vehicle you drove set you back 4-6ft from the signals. might feel/look stupid but, for saftey's sake, that's where the smart fortwo should be now.

make sense to anyone?