Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SmartORStupid

Taller Drivers Windshield View

24 posts in this topic

if you are over 6 foot I would like your opinion on your visibility out the front windshield as well as overall fit in the smart. do you have trouble seeing stoplights etc when you pull up to an intersection? do you have to hunch? Thanks a bunch!

ahh, thanks for the replyI am 6' 4" and I too noticed the rear view mirror, IF i do end up getting a smart I will be making a custom rear view or dash mounting it or somthing althought most likely mounting it from the roof panel thing.with some sort of setup. when the salesment said you couldnt adjust the seat I think he ment like up and down. you can lean it back and move it forward and backwards. keep me updated on how you are finding the smart over the next few days if you could I would really appreciate it. Also you must not be able to close the cloth covering on the rooof eh?congrats on your new car wish you all the best KEEP ME UPDATED ! :)ANY OTHER TALLER DRIVERS OUT THERE?

I am only 6 feet tall so I don't qualify for this topic, but I'll put my 2 cents worth in anyway. Height, body type, and preferred seat position all go into determining if the car fits you. I have a longer upper body and prefer the seat back more upright. My head doesn't quite touch the roof, but I can look out over the rear view mirror. The mirror is very annoying on right turns because I have to bob and weave my head to check for pedestrians and vehicles. Turns like cloverleaves are bad because I can't see the road where I am going. If I move the mirror, it will be annoying for my wife who drives half the time. Traffic lights are nearly impossible to see if I'm first at the light. Fortunately, I live in a rural area and don't encounter many situations where the mirror bothers me, and there aren't many traffic lights. If I did much city driving, I would not drive the smart car.The bottom line -- if you don't fit in the car you will be uncomfortable and probably unsafe!The other bottom line -- I love driving the smart car!

I'm 6'4" and I solve the problem of seeing traffic lights by either pulling forward enough I can see them through the roof, by staying back enough they stay view. Usually I end up moving my head a bit regardless of what I do. It was annoying at first but I'm used to it and don't really notice it anymore.

I had the same problem but the mirror created a blind spot lookingforwards, so I put in a shorter stalk from Smartieparts which tucks the mirror closer to the top of the windshield. The 450 has a roof mounted mirror, If you are talking 451 I don't have an answer as the one I drove had the mirror mounted to the glass, not sure if they are all that design.Head bob to see the lights is one way but I ususlly look through the glass sunroof if I pulled up too close to the lights.

Well, I'm not tall (5'10") and I still have problems seeing traffic lights if I'm first a the lights. Never tried the looking through the roof thing...just usually stop a metre or so before the line and I'm OK. Definitely not the best design feature of the smart...

they are smarter in France :biglaugh: , they put a small traffic light at eye level....For me it's not an issue. I learned to adapt.

post-35-1217423395_thumb.jpg

post-35-1217423440_thumb.jpg

No problem in BC, where there is alwaus a low-level stoplight - not as low as in France, but low enough.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6'4" - always bothered by the mirror (450 and 451). For last several weeks I've been driving with it removed... much better! :)feels odd, but vans do it and I think it's better having a blind spot behind me than directly in front of me! It's not just traffic lights... I lose full sized pickups in that thing. Also constantly hunching over to see around/below it causd considerable driver fatigue. Combine that with no longer being bothered by tail-gaters :) and I fee I'm much better off.but if anyone does develop a better mount and/or mirror for the 451, let me know!-Steve

Edited by SmartieParts

If the mirror is a bother too you just remove it, put a puck that you can get from canadian tire and a windshield adhesive kit and a normal conventional mirror from any north american vehicle and stick in right too your windshield where ever you want???Thats how we mount radar heads to windshields and the back glass in police cars where i work.Just go for a stroll through any junk yard and find a rear view mirror you like and do it that way????my nickel's worth.

6' 2" so I qualify.Yes I have to duck or open the roof if I'm too close to the lights but it's the same in most car I have owned or rented. My Protege 5 is like this.I made a short mirror mount for my 450 and this makes it much better but really the rear window is too small in the cabriolet and so you can't see much out the back anyway so I mainly use the door mirrors. (I ordered heated to ensure good visability)My 2cs worth2seat

I went to my local auto parts store called "Pep Boys" and purchased this:

Posted Image

It cost $9.99 USD and I trial fit it and it will work just fine. You will just need to trim it to your desired length and then you have some left over to put on the back hatch glass if you want to. Hope this helps.

hey dave if you do try that light in sight thing let me know how it works looks interesting!

6' 1" - only for really awkward lights I have to lean a bit - way better than my Jeep or some cars though. Worst one was my Dad's VW Bus - being up at the front and the bib over the window - you almost had to stick your head out the door.One of the reasons we got the car is it seemed to be designed around the person as opposed to fitting the person into what ever the stylists came up with - tons of leg room and torso room.Cheers,Cameron

6'5", always have to adjust in no matter what car. generally, i'm looking through the top 8" of windshield when driving anyway. panorama roof helps. you get used to it.i don't have the issue with the mirror that others mention - the mirror is not all that big and i learn to live with it.what i can't tolerate tho is the passenger sun visor being down - that is like putting a blindfold on me. in any vehicle.

I found this at Joe's (Previously GI Joes). It was $15. There is also a super sized one that was about $25 I think.

Posted Image

Here are the specs from the back:

Posted Image

I wasn't sure which part of the lens would work just right for the smart's windshield, but knew I'd be turning it upside down to take advantage of the larger angle, as shown in the specs above. I cut the lens horizontally into 4 equal sections and tried each one in the upper window. The second section, from the "TOP" of the lens proved to be just right for looking up at traffic lights. Other sections were either not enough angle or too much.

I found I really didn't need the full width of the lens, so cut it in half and mounted it close to the center of the windshield, as shown in the photos below. In these photos the actual traffic light is directly ahead, and just out of sight from my seating position. As you can see, hopefully, the lights are easily visible in the small section of fresnel lens.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's a very neat idea, using it in the front. I might have to investigate that come winter. I really hate slouching.x2 on the passenger visor, my fiancee knows to only use the mirror at stops.

Smartieparts no longer sells the short rearview mirror mounts for the 450. Too bad because it sounds like someone could sell quite a few of them, judging by the comments above. I include myself in the list, as I'm still looking for one (the shortest was 25 mm and the longest was 45 mm, if I remember).Anyone interested in selling the shortest one, please PM me.

The reason I stopped selling them was three fold (in no particular order):#1 - difficult to carry inventory. 2 finishes (matt, polished), 3 trims (metal, white, black), and 5 sizes (25mm thru 45mm) meant having to carry a ton of inventory!#2 - difficult to sell. I don't mean demand, I mean confusing. How do you know you want a 25mm vs a 45mm? People didn't... a lot of returns and wasted postage.#3 - difficult to buy. Only one supplier, and they were a P.I.T.A. to deal with. Very poor discounts making it barely worth it.I'd love to find a Canadian or US manufacturer, especially if they could come up with some adjustable design... but I've been looking for 2+ years and no dice so far. - Steven

Maybe the club members could look for a supplier or manufacturer of 2 or 3 sizes in metal finish only, leaving the buyer to spray paint it in black or white or whatever, in any finish they prefer.Anyone out there with connections to a machine shop?Steve might have exact specs to turn out a few dozen.

Hello, tall folks!This won't solve a long term demand, but it would help ONE person:I can swap a metal rear view mirror mount I have for your OEM standard length, black plastic one. I'm not sure how to measure its length. but its pretty short. If someone can tell how to measure it, I will check it out.Since this is and extra one, I could mail it to you first, and wait for the plastic one after you swap it.Just PM me your address. First come first served.Cheers,

they are smarter in France :biglaugh: , they put a small traffic light at eye level....For me it's not an issue. I learned to adapt.

They put them at eye level because the lights at an intersection are directly overhead of where you stop, not over the far side of the intersection. A number of European countries do this, i have no idea why as it does require another set of lights for those first in line. I prefer a set to the left and sometimes right, as well as overhead of the intersection then you can see them even if you are behind a big truck. As for the blind spot caused by the mirror, I removed mine and stuck a conventional mirror on the windscreen, one that can be adjusted up and down. i was aware of the blindspot before i even bought the smart.