Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sheureka

UHaul Class 1 Trailer Hitch

14 posts in this topic

Hi, has anyone installed one of these yet ?Would like to add a hitch to wee little Goober as soon as practicalHave already backed up to a huge mobile trailerAnd took a picture pretending to be towing itCan't seem to transfere the pix, will fiddle with itCM, out

451 hitches...

Another source. The Curt hitch from CLICKY

Posted Image

And another: CLICKY

I believe this one is stronger and draws more directly from the frame member. Higher off the road too.

Posted Image

Individual Component Pricing:

* Trailer Hitch Assembly with fittings $480 CDN

* Trailer Wiring Modulator Kit with fittings $70 CDN

* Rear valance with pre-cut opening for hitch tongue available for $130.00

* Send back your original rear valance for a $50.00 Rebate.

Bil :sun:

do the UHaul hitches also fit the 450? I don't think there was a frame change between the 450 and 451?

do the UHaul hitches also fit the 450? I don't think there was a frame change between the 450 and 451?

No :no: completely different rear framing. Hitch for the 450 costs 2-3x the 451 hitch price. :(

Thanks Bil, just started with this forum stuff, so I don't know how to tell if someone replied.No Uhaul for the 450, i really want/need a hitch so is the from Smart Car Universe the only one available in Canada?

Thanks Bil, just started with this forum stuff, so I don't know how to tell if someone replied.No Uhaul for the 450, i really want/need a hitch so is the from Smart Car Universe the only one available in Canada?

That may be the case.. I looked where there used to be the MDC hitch on smartieparts.com but it's not there any more. And if price is your priority, that one was quite a bit more expensive... so, yes.B :sun:

The entire hitch kit for the 451 and 450 is $499.00 Canadian including wiring kits. Just making sure people know the right price!

Has anyone heard or know from personal experience of any problems related to having the tow hitch?I know it "voids" the warrenty (regarding the engine and transmission), and am wondering if it is really worth the risk. Or if anyone has had experience with problems and if they were covered or not, would like to pass on advice.Thanks.

Greetings:Lots of people have towed with a smart. People tow things with their bicycles. People will ignore the manufacturer's recommendations and go to almost impossible extremes to prove they know better. smarts seem to blow up real good for almost no reason - I've followed many threads that now make me think twice about planning some grand new adventure.I looked under the car just after I bought it. This is obviously a very purpose driven design. There is no (sane) extra capacity for hauling an extra vehicle behind a smart. It's easy to be over capacity just with a passenger and a little cargo.I don't know of anyone who has been denied warranty because they towed with their smart. Towing with a smart is as rational as fitting a propeller to see if you can leave the fishing boat at home too. smarts are great at what they do and if towing has to be part of a vehicle purchase equation, someone is buying the wrong car.I love my smart car,Ian

... Towing with a smart is as rational as fitting a propeller to see if you can leave the fishing boat at home too.

smarts are great at what they do and if towing has to be part of a vehicle purchase equation, someone is buying the wrong car.

Posted Image

:sun:

Thanks Ian,I agree, but some people have concerns about limited space. Apparently there are very light weight steel trailors (small ones that just fit luggage) to get to the airport and back for example.I would never recommend it, but always try to provide some advice from people who have had some sort of experience with it.And it wouldn't be an issue of denying the warranty, but if there was a claim put in for the engine or transmission, it would probably be questioned and possibly denied because of the possibility towing something caused the damage. Just wondering if anyone knows or has heard of anyone coming across this issue?

The answer to "concerns about limited space" is to get a Yaris or Fit or other larger car, I'm sorry to say. A dealer leading people into a situation that could result in warranty problems us not a healthy scenario.

I knew the can of worms would show up.It is winter, I am skating on a lake. I get hungry. Do I stop, take my skates off and use them to chop a hole in the ice, using my laces a fish line? Might I be successful, catch a fish and continue on my journey? Maybe.Or maybe I could skate over to a fishing hut, where they have used a power auger to cut a hole and have fishing lines, bait, coffee, donuts and maybe a stove...Just walking on lake ice scares me. Doesn't stop my neighbour from driving his pickup on it.smarts can do what smarts can do. It is all thanks to the nut behind the wheel.Ian