Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norm

Oil 229.51 ?

31 posts in this topic

I went to MB to get an oil filter and was surprised at their reasonable price for Mobil 1 oil. It was $8.95 a litre and since I could not find it elsewhere this was pretty good. The parts guy insisted I use the newer ESB 5w40 formula which is 229.51 compliant rather than the 0w40 formula that is 229.50. My understanding though is that the newer oils have a lower ash content that is good for DPF's which our cars do not have however they are not as good a lubricating oil as the previous generation. I wonder if I should return these for the 0w40 Mobil 1 or not. Any comments?

How many km on your car? If you're under 50,000km I would stay with 0W40.FWIW/IMHO/YMMVBil :sun:

17,000 kms

OK, your car is not even fully broken in yet. Definitely stay with the 0W40, is my opinion.Cheers,Bil :sun:

What is the factory oil in the 451?

:dunno: ... I'm not sure that information has been released. Some people claim it is a "break-in" oil.:sun:

What is the factory oil in the 451?

I have a 451 and was told it had break-in oil from the factory but I'm not completely sure on that. Anyway... first oil change at the dealer at 4,500 km. and they used Mobil 1 0W-40 (Euro-blend). I did not want to wait for the scheduled "A" service at 15,000 km. for this first oil change.

When my car was new I wanted to change the oil early - I wasn't used to how black diesel oil was. The mechanics at the dealership were strongly against it because the original oil is a break in oil with distinct properties. They wanted it to do its job before putting regular oil in. I've seen this concept of break in oil reinforced in engine rebuilding discussions. The guys that rebuild engines use a separate oil for break in

Although the handbook for my car says to change the oil every 10,000 miles I plan to change it every 5,000 with Mobile 0W40. Ten thousand miles inbetween oil changes for a small 3 cylinder engine just seems too far apart for a higher revving gasoline engine.

My thoughts exactly. I'm just about to hit 1000 and I think the car will go in on Monday.Now, someone told me there is no drain plug, and you have to pump the oil out. I don't know if I believe this, so confirm/deny?

So probably for the 451 as well then. I guess that's what makes the oil changes more expensive?I just rolled over 1002 km a few minutes ago so I'm going to give the dealer a call Monday.

I thought the 451 had a drain plug in the oil pan. Easy to check, just lean under there.

a 15 buck extractor pump makes oil changes a breeze...no need for a drain plug...1000km is a bit soon for a first oil change? barely been splashed around...

Edited by I M SMRT

I remember picking up a part from Eddy at Flying Tiger and him saying that if I wanted the car to last to change the oil frequently...Also, as I've said before and I'll say it again, the 450 cdi does not have a particle filter neither is there a fleece filter both which are prerequisites for MB 229.5.Therefore IMHO MB 229.3 is all that's required. From the Mercedes oil specifications documents...MB sheet 229.3 approved oilsfor passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain interval indicator FSS up to 20,000 km, or 40,000 km - 25,000 mi, current minimum spec for 1998+ MB engines, min. 1.0% fuel saving compared to 229.1, based on ACEA A3 B4. For gas engine of the M100 series, gas engines of the M200 series and diesel engines of the OM600 series (not models with diesel particulate filter).

Edited by lebikerboy

Since I started doing my own A service, I've bent over backwards to find Mobil Full Synthetic 0W40. Just had a B Service done at the dealer and noticed they used Mobil FS 5W30.What's the collective wisdom - is the 5W30 just as good? Is it season/temprature dependent? It'd certainly be much easier to find.Rick

Canadian Tire carries Mobil 1 0W40 Synthetic European Blend. If your store doesn't carry it just get them to order some for you. They also carry Mobil 1 ATF as well as Amsoil ATF for the 450 transmission. :)Cappytanjack ...

What's the collective wisdom - is the 5W30 just as good? Is it season/temprature dependent? It'd certainly be much easier to find.Rick

Yes, 5w30 is temperature and mileage 'dependent'. A high-mileage engine might do better with 5w30, especially in summer. But 0W40 should be used for the winter and well cared-for engines with fewer than 100,000km. I also doubt that the 5W30 is 229.5 compliant.IMHO/AFAIK/YMMVBil :sun:

Yes, 5w30 is temperature and mileage 'dependent'. A high-mileage engine might do better with 5w30, especially in summer. But 0W40 should be used for the winter and well cared-for engines with fewer than 100,000km. I also doubt that the 5W30 is 229.5 compliant.IMHO/AFAIK/YMMVBil :sun:

There are a few... Vehicles with the Mercedes Maintenance System starting with MY2005 can use 229.5 or 229.51 oils.Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0W-40 SM/CF A3/B3/B4 14 X 229.5 XPennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30 (*) SH/CF A3/B3/B4 11.4 X 229.5 XQuaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30 (*) SH/CF A3/B3/B4 11.6 X 229.5 XCastrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30 (*) SL/CF A3/B3/B4 12.1 X 229.5 XElf Excellium 0W-30 (*) SL/CF A3/B3/B4 11.7 X 229.5 XElf Solaris LSX 5W-30 (for MY07+ diesel) SM/CF A3/B4/C3 11.9 X 229.51 -Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 (for MY07+ diesel) SM/CF A3/B4/C3 13.35 - 229.51 -Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-30 (for MY07+ diesel) SM/CF A3/B4/C3 11.7 X 229.51 -

Bigrick,

Did they actually say Mobile1 5w30? Not sure about that one. Maybe it was Quaker State 5w30...? That would be more likely. In which case, OK.

Bigrick,

Did they actually say Mobile1 5w30? Not sure about that one. Maybe it was Quaker State 5w30...? That would be more likely. In which case, OK.

I'll check the notation in the warranty book again - memory isn't what it used to be. First time they ever wrote down what they were putting in.

Wouldn't that be a pip if MB themselves shoved in the wrong juice!

Rick

Just a note, perhaps for your other vehicles: Canadian Tire has Pennzoil Platinum full-synthetic 5W30 and 10W30 in a 4.73 L jugs for $25.99 this week, and Syntec 5W30 and 10W30 in 4.4 L jugs for just $23.99 next week...