Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DowneasTTer

Max's first trip with the Rack and Roll trailer

5 posts in this topic

This was the first trip Max has made towing the rack and roll trailer with the two kayaks and two bikes on board. Was very interested in how he would do as to mileage and pulling the extra weight. I have been averaging 43 mpg since his pick up in May. Today's trip was all interstate from Bangor, Maine to outside of Hartford, CT, a total of 356 miles. Speed was 65 to 70 and the mpg was around 32. I had the bikes covered as can be seen in the pictures. It was quite a wet day. Expect that may had cut down on the mpgs. I really didn't notice the trailer other than the mileage hit. Max had no problem with the extra cargo.An interesting view point though. If you think you get looked at driving your smart on the public roads, try adding a trailer with 2 yaks and 2 bikes Until today I have never seen another smart on road, Max was delivered to Lynnfield, Ma in May. But today not only another smart was seen but two smarts. A bee on secondary road in Maine on the way to the interstate and another silver/black on the Maine turnpike near York. Below are two pics of Max and his burden in my in-laws driveway.post-5912-1218149931_thumb.jpgpost-5912-1218149878_thumb.jpgDowneastterOrrington, Me08 Silver/Black/Red Cab

What size are the tires on that trailer? They look like bicycle tires almost. I like the idea. If I thought my wife and I would be using our smart for lots of trips in the future, I'd be getting a hitch and some sort of trailer, maybe that one.

Hi,

Wheels: Oversized 16 in. aluminum alloy wheels, plus maintenance-free sealed wheel bearings with Lifetime Warranty. Chrome hubcaps. Tires: 3.25 - 16, 4-ply rating, load range B, with tube.

The trailer is made in China for an American Company. Les sells them in Canada at SCU. The name is Rack and Roll. It's a very well made product. Made out of anodized aluminum. Easy to move around by hand. Is foldable for easy storage. With Thule style Loadbars you can use any Thule or Yakima loaders. Even makes that trip to Home Depot available to the smart owner. Can't say enough good about this unit.

see

Rack and Roll trailer

Man that trailer is cool. I love the storage baskets that can be added too.