Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

Isetta his first true love -- and still is

7 posts in this topic

Kurt Studing is a big man who likes small cars.

Strike that: Studing is a big man who likes microcars.

Micro cars are vehicles so small that it looks like they were made by Tonka Toys. Studing of Harrison Township has owned a number of micros over the years -- including the first Smart car in Michigan -- but his favorite is a 1958 Isetta 600.

And interestingly enough, it's also the first car he ever bought.

"I paid $250 for it in 1974," said Studing, who stands over 6 feet tall and customizes cars for a living.

"The original color was white, but I've changed it a bit," he says.

"In fact, I've custom painted it a number of times. It's a lifetime project. The car is constantly evolving, just like me."

What can you say about the color?

Psychedelic? Not really.

Riotous? Kind of.

Festive? Definitely.

"I have a monster painted on the door," Studing said.

"Kids just love it. And the colors are so vivid that the car attracts bees. They must think it's a patch of flowers."

Designed in Italy, but manufactured by BMW, the Isetta is one of only a few hundred models that can seat four people.

It originally came with a two-stroke engine, but Studing has replaced it with a 300 hp, 4.6 liter engine from a Land Rover.

"I intend to put a super charger on it," Studing said.

"I'm out here every year for the Dream Cruise, and I get a lot of looks and questions. I can tell you this: I love micros and I will never sell this car."

You can reach Tom Greenwood at (313) 222-2023 or tgreenwood@detnews.com.

Source.

Cool. Too bad about the choice of engine though----sounds like he ruined a great car.

Yeah he's absolutely ruined it. A modern flat twin BMW bike engine would have been a much better idea.

I don't think he ruined it it by putting the engine that HE wanted in it. It's just a matter of personal customization. No reason to bash a persons personal choice just because you don't like it.

mine is bored out to go from 13 horsepower to a whopping 15 horsepower! Original engine...bigger piston and hardened rod.

post-1049-1218977250_thumb.jpg

Edited by SCHMART