Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wyldkarma

450 Key Fob Battery

59 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to how long the key battery lasts. My 05 is still going strong with the original battery. How long are these batteries really good for? :huh:

Well I believe the book says 2 years but plaincorgi is probably also correct.Mine is comming up to its third year and still going strong also.You are also suppose to get a warning. Your lights will blink 9 times when the battery is getting low.Thats the one I am waiting for.Retired RCAF

Nearly four years so far and still on the originals.....

Nifty, I carry a spare battery in the car so that should ensure my battery never runs out!!! I try to conserve battery life by using the key in the trunk or the dash switch for the trunk whenever I can. It's not much, but it's one less signal sent.

I have never opened the car with the mechanical key! I often open the roof remotely with it too.

Still---- a tiny handcrank generator on the fob would be a good backup feature. :)

deezle you cheaped out when ordering accessories didn't you, that was available when ordering your car along with the wind up key. ;)

I reasoned that a crowbar was cheaper and I just carry it in my back pocket. The bonus is that it works for other cars too.Seriously though, the car gives plenty of warning when the key's battery is starting to weaken. The lights flash I think 9 times instead of the usual 3 when locking and it will still work for a hundred or so times.Our keys are still fine after nearly 4 years.

I don't know if the 450 does this, but on the 451 if you unlock the doors and the battery is going low, your lights will flash 10 times. You have plently of time at this point to get yourself a new battery.Bah, didn't read the post above me.

Edited by Snapdragon

Range drops a bit when the battery get low - main issue is us guys - carrying the key in your pocket tends to hold the buttons down - and uses the battery - still we are at 2.5 years and no replacements.Cheers,Cameron

Just past three years here. Noticed lately that the range has diminished to just 5-6 meters. Better start sourcing a battery soon.Bil :sun:

Nifty, I carry a spare battery in the car so that should ensure my battery never runs out!!! I try to conserve battery life by using the key in the trunk or the dash switch for the trunk whenever I can. It's not much, but it's one less signal sent.

I also carry a spare battery with me but not in the car, in the remote itself. If you open the remote with the key facing away from you and the buttons on the top side you will notice a small area in the front right-hand side under the circuit board. Wrap the cell (battery) with a small amount thin foam (or anything fairly thin and non-conductive) and place the "wrapped" cell in the previously mentioned cavity. Install the circuit board and snap the two halves of the remote together and you're done. I do this rather than carry a spare cell in my car as I have a Brabus emblem over my key-hole cover...and yes the emblem can be removed if need be. Just my 2 cents worth.

I just replace the batteries in our 2 key fobs and now one of the key fobs will not do anything. Yes I have taken it out and reseated it and even bought another battery and nothing. Any thoughts?Dennis

I also carry a spare battery with me but not in the car, in the remote itself. If you open the remote with the key facing away from you and the buttons on the top side you will notice a small area in the front right-hand side under the circuit board. Wrap the cell (battery) with a small amount thin foam (or anything fairly thin and non-conductive) and place the "wrapped" cell in the previously mentioned cavity. Install the circuit board and snap the two halves of the remote together and you're done.

That's an interesting idea. I store the spares in the car and I was just thinking that the extreme cold and hot temperatures that these spare batteries face while sitting in the car must really affect their lifespan....maybe not a problem for those of you in the tropical parts of BC, but might be in sweltering/freezing S. Ontario and probably the rest of the country as well.cheersgarth

Lotta good points! Our dealer gave us a spare battery pkg with delivery. This doesn't really make sense; by the time we have to install it, shelf life will probably be done.

I just replace the batteries in our 2 key fobs and now one of the key fobs will not do anything. Yes I have taken it out and reseated it and even bought another battery and nothing. Any thoughts?Dennis

I don't know what to tell you other than it's borked, which you already know. Could moisture have gotten to it? If no moisture or physical damage to the circuit then it somehow lost it's setting for your car. The delership can reprogram it, but as with most things - it ain't cheap.

I'd really push for that to be a warranty issue -- the rest of the immobilizer system is included in the 4-year/80000 km warranty. If the only way to control the immobilizer stops working, they should cover it.

Well both key fobs have been becomming less and less effective exponentially. I finally gave up on my regular one and started using the spare. This was fine until my wife tried to us Blueberry and nearly couldn't get in and then nearly didn't get started! Boy was my name mud!. I had been trying to get new batteries from the regular stores but it correct what folks here have been saying that the 1225 doesn't seem to be widely available anymore. I finally broke down and got 2 from MB P/N 007809V002000000 at $8 each including taxes. Loaded them into the fobs with only one problem, One would unlock but not lock so I broke it down and reloaded and now it works as well as the other. The removed batteryies are the originals from October 2005 so I guess they've exceeded the 2 year mark by a healthy margin :):D

Well its almost 15 months since my last post on page 1 and I am still on the same fob battery and going strong. Must be a bunny in it.

I has to replace the battery in one fob after 2 years, but the other still has the original, this is almost 4 years later.

Mine was still going strong after 4 1/2 years, but I put in a new one last month :D