Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wyldkarma

450 Key Fob Battery

59 posts in this topic

Today, after well over 13 years, my smart's key battery finally failed. The spare key was in a magnetic key holder under the dash, and it worked!. It is the same age as the other one, but had only rarely been used. Mercedes supplied an extra battery when the car was new, but I don't know where it ended up. Pill batteries can have a pretty amazing life span. 

Both ‘05 fobs crapped out at the same time last week...... wtf???

Tried Best Buy, The Source, Staples, Shopper’s Drug Mart & Canadian Tire..... nobody had CR1225 batteries.

Didn't want to pay hundreds of $’s at the MB dealer, so called Glenn in London, who came thru as always.

If MB was smart, they’d buy him out and hire him to run a Smart service and parts department in London.

They might not make their normal 1,000+% profit, but they’d get all the business that’s out there.

ps..... Glenn - I’ll work as your agent in the negotiations, for 25%.  😜

1 person likes this

The last time I had the dealer do it I think it cost $12 or maybe $15.

I think I read in another thread somewhere that you can use a different battery than a CR1225 ? . 

I'm not sure if it is true or not.

I also checked everywhere in my local and could not find a 1225.

Economical source for CR1225 batteries

I opened the key up and found that the battery was a quality Swiss made Renata brand. An Internet search found an Amazon.ca seller (Shoptictoc) offering a 2-pack of Renata CR1225 batteries for $4.95 including free shipping! I ordered that item, and then added an order for a Renata 315 cell for my Longines watch (offered at $5.49, also including free shipping). I have bought batteries several times through the Internet, and found that the sellers just pop the items into an envelope and send it by Canada Post. This is the only way I buy small batteries any more. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Sydney said:

I think I read in another thread somewhere that you can use a different battery than a CR1225 ? . 

I'm not sure if it is true or not.

I also checked everywhere in my local and could not find a 1225.

There was an older thread around which I believe has been removed which indicated that a CR1025 will also work.

The number 10 is the thickness and the 25 is the diameter in mm. Apparently they are available at Walmart for a significantly lower price.

2 people like this

I was curious about where "Shoptictoc" was physically located. The Facebook page for the business had a "get directions" button. When I clicked on it, the map which came up was obviously of an area in Germany. After moving the display, looking for a familiar place name, I finally found Berlin. It's amazing that they can send product all the way to Canada with no shipping charge. An import fee may be applied though; we shall see. 

As part of the same Amazon transaction, I ordered a 0.5mm lead size mechanical pencil, which also featured free shipping. Amazon correspondence that I've received about that part of the order, indicates that the pencil is being sent from China.

Edited by smart65
Added additional observation

Our 13 year old battery simply stopped working. No flashes or warnings. Fortunately other remote still worked. Independent dollar store is cheapest place for batteries.

1 person likes this