Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CountrySmartGirl

SMART CAR = HIGH INSURANCE = MADNESS!

40 posts in this topic

I have been checking around to auto insurance companies to see about lowering my car insurance. Right now, I am paying $150/mos. (Ontario) and all the companies I have checked out have even higher quotes and they all tell me that the reason the insurance on the smart is so high is because ... and this is what they have ALL told me ... that because the smart is small it is therefore considered unsafe AND that it is at high risk for theft because it can easily be broken into.WHAT . . . ???!!! I SAID WHAT??!!It makes my blood boil!! They have no clue, no idea and nor are they interested. Articles have been printed proving that the smart is one of the top safest vehicles on the road today. Yes, I know, no vehicle is indestructible ... but I mean absolutely no one wanted to listen to me tell them and show them documentation of how the smart is built using a stronger steel than other cars, how it has to be stronger because of its size AND no one wanted to hear about the demobilizing feature either.It appears for now, even though there have already been studies done that benefit the smart, I guess there has to be study upon study, upon study etc. before insurance companies will agree to lower the cost of insurance on smart cars.If anyone in Ontario has had better luck than I, please DO respond :-)CountySmartGirl <_<

What BS - We pay $92 a month out here (clean record - not to work - over 25 drivers) - and people complain because ICBC is not private insurance. The car is as safe as any other - most vehicles are written off these days - regardless of the size. As far as breaking in - it is actually harder than most - my wife's cousin - a locksmith - said basically you would have to break something to get in. As far as stealing the car - we get a break on insurance out here because of the immobilizer making it next to impossible to move.I think that the companies out there are just using it as an excuse to gouge (not that private insurance compare notes or anything - gee that would be non-competition now wouldn't it).Cheers,Cameron

Hmm... 5-Star crash test rated and standard equipment passive immobilizer. I'm calling :bs: on your insurer!$109/mo. here, business use.B :sun:

I pay $68.41 p/m, no accidents, 1000000 laibility, no driving to work , and I live in Southern Ontario.Try The Econominal Insurance GroupJohn

I'm 20, gonna be getting a fully insured smart car soon. I'm hoping it wont go too much over $450 a month :( A couple of friends started out paying about $350 but they didn't have collision on their vehicles. Anyone know any good insurance companies for starting out?

Interesting, I pay $80/month with State Farm. I don't think the reasons why they gave you for the high rates are accurate. I am sure there are other reasons, like the high cost of accident repair due to parts only being available from the dealer.

Hmm... 5-Star crash test rated and standard equipment passive immobilizer. I'm calling :bs: on your insurer!

$109/mo. here, business use.

Five stars? Where? I thought the smart was rated three stars, maybe four.

450:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/smart_city_coupe_2000/29.aspx

451:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/smart_fortwo_2007/303.aspx

It's hard to compare privatized insurance across the country with ICBC. Apples to Oranges.

Interesting, I pay $80/month with State Farm. I don't think the reasons why they gave you for the high rates are accurate. I am sure there are other reasons, like the high cost of accident repair due to parts only being available from the dealer.

That was a reason we were given when we first got ours. Because the vehicle was brand-new to North America, there were limited options for repairs and parts, making it more expensive than the average car in the event of a claim. Edited by darren

Weird, since my agent said it is one of the cheapest to insure? She also said the VUE was cheap too; they both come in at about $95 a month with FULL coverage since they are financed. We also live in the highest insurance market in Windsor (forget where/when this was in the paper). I am with Allstate, but have been with them for over 10 years; we also have home insurance through them to get a larger discount. Shop around and don't buy the BS! Do insurance agents ever come up with it... based on ignorance of the vehicle more than anything methinks...

I'm 20, gonna be getting a fully insured smart car soon. I'm hoping it wont go too much over $450 a month :( A couple of friends started out paying about $350 but they didn't have collision on their vehicles. Anyone know any good insurance companies for starting out?

Shop around. Some insurance companies give you discounts if you're an alumni from certain universities/colleges as well as other perks.

Out in Saskatchewan we have SGI,similar to ICBC, all licensing and insurance of cars and licensing of people goes through them (they also offer other insurance types). You don't have a choice of auto insurers for your plates, although you can get supplemental insurance elsehow if you wish. So my smart car insurance is 101.40 and I've got 5 out of 10 points positive as a good driver. That's a 10% discount out of a possible 20%.

I pay $68.41 p/m, no accidents, 1000000 laibility, no driving to work , and I live in Southern Ontario.Try The Econominal Insurance GroupJohn

I have had my smart for just over a year now and originally, my ins. was $137/mos. Now, as I mentioned above, I pay $150/mos. and I am with ING Insurance. And again, I'm in Southern Ontario as well. I have heard of Economical Ins. I will Google them and see how lucky I get. I've always thought anything over $75 is BS for the smart!!! I know ins. companies take into account, one's age, location, no. of accidents (if any), how much driving one does and how many km's ..... but thanks so much, it's worth looking into.Thanks so much!!!! :-)CSG

Well i am with one of those alumni type insurance companys that give you credit for being educated etc. I don't exactly know what i pay for my smart each month but i have a 2006 2500HD GMC truck, a 2006 Honda ATV, a 2006 smart and house insurance and i pay 195 a month and that is with one my fault collision.i am over 40 i dunno if that makes a diff or not??

I pay about 95.00/mth through ING, but I also have my home insurance through them and I also get a group rate because I work for the giant evil utility company.Wayne.

Edited by Wayne

We may have (slightly) higher taxes, and lousier roads, but I'll gladly take my $500 a year full coverage $1,000,000/$250/$50...

I'd kill for $1800/a. I'm paying $2000, and that's with a flawless driving record*... but it's because I have a penis.(*-despite the rumours!)-Iain

Girls are starting to get higher insurance rates actually :P Girl at schools looking about paying just as much as I am. Too many rear end accidents while they're txt messaging or* puttin on makeup :|

Edited by Roman.candles

Hmmm, it's about $100 a month for us, over 25 (duh), > 16 km to and from work, drivers with under 10 years experience, 5 million 3rd party, 300 collision, 200 comp, clean record for 30 years. My B-Class costs the same. ICBC all the way (it would cost more with private insurance on the optional coverages, I check every year).

Mike, did you look into the Direct Insurance 10% discount for completion of the driving course?:sun:

I should point out that the price i quoted is monthly, not annually, LOL, and I also want to mention it's only a bit more than double what I paid on my old 84 vw rabbit. The rabbit had a larger wheelbase (part of the calculation) but was a considerably cheaper vehicle (worth less than the deductible) and model year and value are huge parts of the price calculation.

The 10% would still price me outside of the ICBC window!

I was an occasional driver under my parents insurance for about 8 or 9 years. Then I bought my own car, which is the Smart. I was with Chieftain insurance for my first year. I was paying $122/month. But then as the one year anniversary approached, they sent me a notice saying that the rate would go up to $137/month due to a lot of claims from other customers in the same vehicle category. Anyway, I switched to President's Choice Financial and got a rate of $122/month again. And apparently, it's supposed to get cheaper ever year. That is, if you don't make a claim, your rate goes down each year. What a concept!

Well I am 25, flawless record and with all the extra discounts I am still paying close to $300/month. Belair gave me the best rate so maybe check into them.