Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jibber

The 451's first summer

34 posts in this topic

Since Tango just rolled over 10000 kms Sunday night, I though I'd start a thread to see how the 451 "early adopter"'s cars are holding up so far!As for me:Ordered February 16th, delivered May 30th. 10030 kms, all urban in Calgary except for one trip to Edmonton for a smart meet and one trip to Banff the weekend I picked it up. (I deliver pizza with it, and the pizza stays really nice and hot because the gasser runs hotter than the cdi, and I put the pizzas on top of the engine in the back :))At 1540 kms, one week after I picked him up, an older Cavalier hit me from behind and creased the rear bumper fascia, which was replaced by Distinctive Autoworks on his insurance.At around 2000 kms, I got a screw in my left rear tire, which was repaired and plugged.And so far, that's the only little things I've had happen. The car hasn't missed a beat, hiccupped, or anything that would make me raise an eyebrow. It's a wonderful piece of kit, and I love it to death. Hope the rest of you guys are enjoying your 451s as much as I am! :D

Edited by Jibber

Had mine since end of March but have only just reached 4000kms. Everything running like a dream with no problems, etc.I notice that each fill-up is showing better mileage. Am now at about 7/100 and can't wait for the day I can get down to at least 6/100. :D Trouble is, it's used mostly for stop and go during rush hour and alot of hills to and from down town & W.Van. Probably does not help that I like to keep up to the traffic, including on the highway for the short periods I do highway driving! B)

Ordered 19th Apr, pick up 28th Apr in Vancouver, arrived 14th May in Toronto. Currently have about 9,700kms including the trip across Canada.Problems:- loose driver's seatback rachet- loose passion decal- handbrake only holds at the very very last click (not much room for error in Vancouver's hilly streets)- wiper on passenger side hits the tridion cell when on HI speed- P0410 code for the secondary air intake pump- transmission stuck in Pother than that, it's been running smoothly. I still love to drive it. Love the high seating position and the quality of the leather seats. The stereo is surprisingly decent given its front-only setup and rather "empty" subwoofer.Mileage is in the 6s per 100km. Lifetime is shown in sig.

We just topped 7800 kms - got the car on May 26th. No real issues to speak of,...I had a headlight bulb go out at around 5500 kms - hopefully that was just a fluke and not a repeat of the lighting problems the 450's had. I drive almost entirely highway and have averaged around 6L/100 km.Oh,...and I still smile every time I get in the car. :D

Picked up my 451 Passion Coupe last January. It now has 8,500 km. on it but will be over 10,000 km after Thanksgiving when we return from our trip to Toronto. No problems to speak of yet. Squeaky doors last winter but some WD-40 into the latches fixed that. Looking forward to using the new Area 451 cruise control on this Toronto trip which will be our first real road trip in the smart. If I had to complain about something, it doesn't like rough roads.

Picked up my 451 Passion Coupe last January. It now has 8,500 km. on it but will be over 10,000 km after Thanksgiving when we return from our trip to Toronto. No problems to speak of yet. Squeaky doors last winter but some WD-40 into the latches fixed that. Looking forward to using the new Area 451 cruise control on this Toronto trip which will be our first real road trip in the smart. If I had to complain about something, it doesn't like rough roads.

have fun on the trip!

Got mine in April/08 and have approx. 4600kms on it now. Only thing I had was the low tire pressure light came on and sure enough the left front was down 4 lbs.! Topped it up and re-set. Took it to Kal tire to check. They took it off and checked it all over and all OK and they did not charge me for it! :D That was 2 weeks ago and no problems since.I am down to 7L/100k but seem to be getting a bit better mileage on each fill.How are others finding gas mileage when they got up to 4-5000k?

Went from high 6s to high 5s mostly in mixed city/hwy driving in Toronto. High 6s in Vancouver city driving. I did notice the shift from 1st-2nd in auto got a lot smoother. My last fill up was at the end of Aug. Haven't driven it since.

Purchased My white Pure Dec 22nd in Halifax - So far I have just over 22,000 kms - Only problem I had was when warning light came on and it was the carbon filter that had to be replaced under warranty. MY first "check up" included a new tire, nail damaged the old tire, and it cost me about $350.00. Love driving the car and when I drive about 100 kph on the highway I get about 50 mpg. I have been writing down my mileage, will now have to figure it out!! Have gotten 600 kms on a tank a few times!

Love driving the car and when I drive about 100 kph on the highway I get about 50 mpg. I have been writing down my mileage, will now have to figure it out!! Have gotten 600 kms on a tank a few times!

I guess my problem is 90% of my driving is "stop and go" city driving and alot of hills and traffic. Ah well, still better than the 17l / 100k I was getting with my SUV! B)

Purchased My white Pure Dec 22nd in Halifax - So far I have just over 22,000 kms - Only problem I had was when warning light came on and it was the carbon filter that had to be replaced under warranty. MY first "check up" included a new tire, nail damaged the old tire, and it cost me about $350.00. Love driving the car and when I drive about 100 kph on the highway I get about 50 mpg. I have been writing down my mileage, will now have to figure it out!! Have gotten 600 kms on a tank a few times!

nice. That's 5.6L/100km if you're talking imperial, 4.7L/100km if you're talking US mpg. I haven't gotten 4.7L/100km although I did get a 4.84L/100km tank once Edited by Nextourer

I have had my cabrio since May 13 and have 14,000 km on the clock. The only problem I have had was at 200 km when the tire sensor light came on. It turned out to be a pinhole in the rim. It was replaced under warranty.I have been on two significant trips--one to California and the Oregon coast and the other to Kelowna. The best mileage has been on the long trips and the tanks keep improving. The best so far was the Kelowna trip via the Coq. 552 km on 30 l of gas. Mostly I am getting about 500km per tank, but I have some steep hills to climb working in Mission.I am now trying to figure out the snow tire piece as I will definitely need them to get to work.

I'm tipping the odometer at 6,000 miles and here are my observations:Problems:1) Taken to Dealer 3 times to adjust Sunscreen before they replaced it. Once replaced. No more problem.2) Poor Dealer Service. Will do most of my maintenance but do have a fantastic MB Dealership so I'll give them some of my business.3) Arguing wither dealership over the left drivers mirror that vibrates more than the right side mirror which is rock solid.4) Wiper hit tridion cell on high speed but only when in conjunction with high head winds. Need to further investigation.Positives:1) Getting better and better gas mileage all the time. Last tank was 46mpg but haven't updated my spiritmonitor lately.2) The smart has exceeded most of my expectations and am very pleased with it's overall performance.3) No other problems... at the moment.

Excellent to read that, Razorback!FYI: The driver's side mirror on my 2005 cdi was the same, it vibrated like heck when the car was new, and they replaced it under warranty, and since then no worries. In fact I got a European mirror which is slightly convex. So keep up the pressure on that one.

I'm tipping the odometer at 6,000 miles and here are my observations:Problems:1) Taken to Dealer 3 times to adjust Sunscreen before they replaced it. Once replaced. No more problem.2) Poor Dealer Service. Will do most of my maintenance but do have a fantastic MB Dealership so I'll give them some of my business.3) Arguing wither dealership over the left drivers mirror that vibrates more than the right side mirror which is rock solid.4) Wiper hit tridion cell on high speed but only when in conjunction with high head winds. Need to further investigation.Positives:1) Getting better and better gas mileage all the time. Last tank was 46mpg but haven't updated my spiritmonitor lately.2) The smart has exceeded most of my expectations and am very pleased with it's overall performance.3) No other problems... at the moment.

Interesting. You're the only other person that I know that has the wiper problem. Mine does hit from time to time at highway speed without head winds. I had them adjust it. Now at "HI", it'll stop just before the cell. On the downside, on "LO", the wiper stops at an angle instead of fully vertical (and this is only on one side of the car)

Took delivery in August. Been back to the dealer once to replace a scratched upper rear panel (the shiny black one), replace a broken latch for the access panel (even the latches are plastic!!) and re-attach the trim on the driver's A column - a clip was missing.All above were under warrantyWe also have a slapping wiper - the passenger wiper hits the cell in wet weather on hi speed. Only discovered this last week when it rained.

Took delivery in December 07 and now have over 39,000 kms on it. Absolutely lovin it. Averaging mid 40s in mixed driving and have seen as high as 59 mpg on the highway. (Using Mobil 1 0w40 and changing it every 7,500 kms)Last month we had the clutch actuater replaced under warranty. (It wasn't engaging reverse all the time.) And we also had the "can't shift out of park problem" that most 451s had early on. Other that that, not much to speak of. Except that with winter coming, I'd encourage everyone to check their antifreeze strength. For those of us in the extremely cold climates (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, I don't think others have to worry), with a cold start in sub -35'C temps, if you don't warm it up long enough (more than 10 minutes) you risk the coolant gelling up. It happened to us twice last winter at -37'C. The factory coolant just isn't strong enough. They claim it's good 'til -38'C and will be fine; but it just isn't if your car sits outside overnight. Gelling and no flow isn't fun = no heat. I think there's a reason that most other makes selling to the Canadian prairies make their coolant good until at least -45'C or -50'C.

Wow, a clutch actuator already! Mine lasted 84.000 km ;)

Hey all first post for me but thought I would pitch in....Picked it up in july and smooth sailing, fun to drive with the top down for sure.We did have couple problems already though and at about 5500km now. Had a emission sensor go so got the check engine light. Took it to mercedes in richmond and pretty much got the cold shoulder as "its only a smart car" as the assistant manager told my wife.. Not impressed, that and kept helping others behind her in line....Anyways all fixed up and we had a squeaky driver door which took 2 days to fix as the service guy said he had to take the door completely apart due to improper window install. No sqeaks now but now the passenger door is starting to do the same thing now. Maybe I'll try that wd-40 idea I read on this site.Got the vehicle back from the dealer and noticed it was rear ended as there was a license plate dent in the bumper so they had to fix that as well. I would not recommend the dealer in richmond if you can.Had the low tire sensor indicate and sure enough the tires were a little low, topped them up and all is good.Love to drive it and now just gearing up for winter. Anyone know any details on up sizing the tires to 175 on the front and 195 on the back as I dont really want to get the conti's that seem to be the only ones that carry the 155's for the front in a winter tire?Are there any adverse stearing/handling effects from getting larger tires? :huh::D

hello and welcome!Looks like you had the teething problems too!hmm, my experience with MB Rmd has been overwhelmingly positive. The car was cleaned inside and out every time I got it back (except the shifter bit since it was a quick fix), they took care of the wipers, driver's seat and even the stuck shifter.

Going for 175/195 tires is a great idea, even on the Continentals, but you will need new rims, which smart dealers sell as accessories. Front wheel width needs to be 5 inches and rear at least 6 to take the 175/195 combo.Try North Vancouver next time if you can....

Edited by Mike T

Got mine in April/08 and have approx. 4600kms on it now. Only thing I had was the low tire pressure light came on and sure enough the left front was down 4 lbs.! Topped it up and re-set. Took it to Kal tire to check. They took it off and checked it all over and all OK and they did not charge me for it! :D That was 2 weeks ago and no problems since.I am down to 7L/100k but seem to be getting a bit better mileage on each fill.How are others finding gas mileage when they got up to 4-5000k?

Just wondering how you "re-set" the tire pressure?The light came on, I pushed the button and it went away. Three weeks later it came on again, pushed the button, and it went away. I'll have to check the pressure once I get a chance, but everything looks fine visually and when i've compressed the tire using my hand (Yes, not scientific :) ) it did not feel out of sorts? Great car, no issues this summer. Noisy brakes, but i'm told that is normal. Looking forward to getting winter tires and testing it out in snow. Edited by VRsyncro

When you pushed the button you told the the pressure monitoring system that you were at the pressure you wanted. You reset it. You need to pump up your tires to the appropriate setting and reset the system. When the light comes on, pump up the tires and reset. Your tire pressure is probably low. You can expect poor handling and milage and maybe damage or danger.Peter