Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jibber

The 451's first summer

34 posts in this topic

I made this mistake too, pushing the button after I left the dealer, and all four of my tires were low at delivery. So I drove around on low tires for the first month until I picked up a screw and checked them all.From my experience a loss of 4 lbs will trip the system.

I don't really like the fact that a quick push is all that's needed to reset the system. I'd rather have a push and hold to prevent accidental reset (or if a friend is playing around with the buttons)

I agree! Being that I have a spare button since I have no alarm, I think I'll cut the trace on the board and solder a jumper to the empty button, requiring both buttons to be pressed to activate it.

I ordered my Black Passion Coupe in May this year and picked it up on 31 July. Since then I have driven about 4500 km and filled it up 9 times. Fuel consumption has ranged from 5.8 to 5.2 L/100km and averages 5.5. My driving is 1/3 hwy, 2/3 city. I have a scan gauge and aim for getting 5.2 or better on every trip. It can't be done when traffic is heavy because long coasts to red lights and slow accelerations piss off other drivers, which I don't want to do. The sun shield jammed once in late summer and I managed to get the rod back into the clip OK. Since then the sun hasn't been so hot and I have left the shield open. The thumb screw on the engine cover broke off in the first week. Fixed that with an aviation type screw and clip-on nut. On the first trip each morning, after I back out of my driveway, I find that in manual mode I have to shift twice to find 2nd gear. After that all is fine for the day. It may be my imagination, or maybe my improved skill in driving the Smart, but the shifting, both manual and auto is smoother now than when it was new. I use manual 90% of the time. I intend to drive the full 15,000 km without changing oil and will take it to MB for the first maintenance cycle to see how they do. It's a great car and I look forward to every time I get in it.

It doesn't allow an early shift to 2nd gear for me too when the engine's cold. It wants to warm up as fast as possible.

I found that it won't let you shift early into 2nd gear when the engine is cold because the idle speed is too high to allow the shift. If you're pulling 2500 rpm in 1st and try to shift to 2nd with cold idle @ ~1500 rpm, the revs in 2nd would be below 1500 at that speed so the car disallows the shift to happen. Once the idle speed drops from warming up, you can get into taller gears at slower speeds. You can try to validate this (just incase there is actually a problem with your car) by trying to get into 3rd from 2nd with a cold engine (high idle) and being at around 2000prm in 2nd gear.. chances are the car will disallow this shift as well. 1st gear is extremely short, so you will need to be turning at least 3000 rpm to get to 2nd with an idle speed of 1500rpm due to the large gap between 1st and 2nd.

UPDATE I'm tipping the odometer at 53,000 miles and here are my observations:Problems:1) Updated: Poor Dealer Service. <- MB closed that and many other non MB Dealerships. Current closer MB Dealership does a good job of maintenance but you need to keep an eye on the Dealership trying to over-maintenance your vehicle.2) Left drivers mirror still slightly vibrates after dealership replaced it. The right side mirror which is rock solid.3) Wiper adjusted by old dealership because wiper hit tridion cell on high speed but only when in conjunction with high head winds.Positives:1) Gas mileage: I'm getting a constant 325-425 miles per tank and I'm ok with that. all the time. No longer update spiritmonitor.2) The smart has exceeded most of my expectations and am STILL very pleased with it's overall performance.3) No other minor or major problems... at the moment.Comments:1) I do not get ALL the recommended services done per the smart owners manual as I see no benefit from over-maintenance my vehicle.2) Oil changes ever 10,000 miles w/ MB 0-40 synthetic & MB filter.3) I WILL do the recommended maintenance but at double the interval such as changing the coolant, brake fluid and spark plugs.Overall:I'd say that my 2008 smart has exceeded my expectations and although you can get lemons with any type of car, if you do get one, just make some lemonaide.

Thanks for the update!