Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roman.candles

Just got my insurance quote

23 posts in this topic

Yeah, called insurance. Was hoping for under $500 bucks a month... Lol, guess not :P $6200 a year - about $516 a month :P So if I didn't get caught speeding or anything, how long would I be paying that much? Has anyone tried any of the big or online insurance companies? Any of them cheaper?

Yeah, called insurance. Was hoping for under $500 bucks a month... Lol, guess not :P $6200 a year - about $516 a month :P So how long would I be paying that much?

For as long as you have "sucker" tattooed on your forehead. Seriously though.....that is an insane quote.

So if I didn't get caught speeding or anything, how long would I be paying that much?

Good day.No idea if that quote is high or low as it really depends on your own circumstances, and where you live.If you or any of your family has been dealing with an insurance agent for any length of time, talk to them about why your rates seem to be so high. Or even just look in the yellow pages for an agent, and make an appointment to have a chat. As for what will bring down insurance rates, years of driving experience, age, years of ticket free driving, amount of deductible, multi-vehicle discounts, package deals (combining home-owners insurance with car insurance, for example) and being claims free.Does the insurance industry still have different rates depending on marital status and gender?MG

I gotta agree about the agent. Pick an independant insurance agent and get your stuff through them for all your stuff. They shop the companies for you, and because it's what they professionally do they do it quickly and well and can pick your best choice for you. They'll help you pick not only what's most affordable, but what suits you personally the best. Furthermore, they keep things like your void cheque on file so you don't have to keep coming in to give them another one.

If I had to pay that much for insurance, I would quit driving.

Lol, insurance is cheaper if your married (which I'm not) and it's about the same regardless of gender. Too many girls txting n driving... I'm a new driver, I don't have tickets or anything. I have drivers ed. One of the companies quoted me for $7800 on an 08 model. $650 a month! I have to start driving though. Either now, or a year from now, I'm still gonna get soaked for insurance. I'm going to keep looking though, if I could get it around $450 I'd be pretty happy :)

When I first started driving, my insurance was more than my car payments...but within a year went down considerably - also helps that I also turned 25 at the time.11 years late I am still paying a lot, but now because of where I live and because "the smart would have to be replaced in full if I were in an accident" ;) I think insurance is a scam...but nothing I can do but pay it! (and drive my smart happily)

In BC, you'd be paying $220 a month, MAX. You folks so need gov't insurance.

Lol, insurance is cheaper if your married (which I'm not) and it's about the same regardless of gender. Too many girls txting n driving... I'm a new driver, I don't have tickets or anything. I have drivers ed. One of the companies quoted me for $7800 on an 08 model. $650 a month! I have to start driving though. Either now, or a year from now, I'm still gonna get soaked for insurance. I'm going to keep looking though, if I could get it around $450 I'd be pretty happy :)

That's crazy! Why don't you just buy a cheap old beater and drive it for a year or two until you have established an insurance track record before buying and insuring a new car?? Or buy the new smart and register it under your parents name with you as a secondary driver...$6-8000 per year is just criminal...

Jeebus.My first car, when I was 18, was an Alfa Romeo. I insured it for liability only, and it cost me $1100 for the year. I was still at home and had a couple of at-faults on my record (but no tickets yet). The following year I got a Jeep YJ Wrangler Laredo that was a year old with 12,000 Km on it. I had already had a couple of citations, too. I insured the Jeep with collision and comprehensive (and fairly huge deductibles) for $1450 a year. That was as high as I've ever paid to insure a vehicle, including a commercial vehicle with $5 Million liability and all perils.I agree with others. Either get a 1993 Civic with liability only for a few years, or get a bus pass.

My wife and I pay 56 dollars a month for insurance on our 94 bronco w/ theft, fire, acts of God all that stuff. We're in Alberta... I'll have to see what they would quote us for a smart.

Yikes, that's huge! o_0My husband only has his G2 (used to live in a city with no need to drive anywhere, so he didn't bother to get his driver's license), and his driver's ed doesn't count anymore because it was too many years ago, and his insurance for his new '08 Elantra is ~$230/mo, which is still super high compared to me. Granted he's over 25 and married, but I've been paying insurance for years and mine didn't drop by much at that magical age of 25.I couldn't afford to drive if my insurance was going to be over $500/month!

When my son got his license his insurance for a brand new smart in his name would have been $275 per month.

Edited by lebikerboy

WOW!!! you guys pay a lot!!!!! I pay only 48 euro's a month, which is I guess $70.I can't believe that there are so many people driving cars over there with that kind of insurance to pay.You must earn a lot of money to be able to drive a car.

Edited by tallsmartdriver

When I brought my second Smart last year I have to add my younger son as a driver to the insurance policy. My son was 19, got his G2 recently and has driver ed. The insurance to add him to the policy was about $200 a month with a $2500 deductiible at State Farm. State Farm has several discount program for young drivers. The insurance will go down with time if you do not have any claim. If you live with your parent it is better to buy the insurance under their policy. You will get discount for multicar and multi product if you have other insurance (home) with the same company. There is also additional discount if your parent do not have any claim in the pass 5 years. This is Ontario, insurance is mandatory. If you have to drive the insurance company got you by the nose.

Called in today to check on what insurance will cost my wife and I on a 2008 Smart Passion Coupe'For all the bells and whistles, Collision + Comprehensive and the 'we'll pay for a rental until you get a new car' insurance we'd pay 1521 a year which comes to about 126.75 a month. My wife is 24 and I am 23. So definitely do some shopping around Roman b/c that's absolutely a ridiculous quote you were given.

Our quote was only 1080 for a year and this includes all the liabilities (2,000,000), collision, comprehensive (fire,theft,etc), and new car replacement.We are in BC so it's way better out here with the gov't still moderating insurance.

It's ironic, you need to earn a lot of money to drive, but the way our cities are laid out, you need to drive to earn any money. People are patching clothes and wearing ruined shoes and coats to finance their car.Of course, there are also many people discovering that they can use a bicycle even 20-30km/day all year. There are people discovering that they don't mind a bus ride to work. There are people daily learning that it isn't the only way, but that's not most people and some just can't do those things. They would have to move closer to work and the cost of housing there is greater than the cost of operating a vehicle where they are.Mostly our culture promotes a car as a vital link in a person's modern life, so most folks just can't see doing without. I didn't drive till my 30s and I learned to cope very well, so to me a car is a nice luxury and if it has to be parked for a long time for any reason, I can face that cheerfully.My husband, however, still doesn't understand my cavalier approach to vehicle availability.

Well I got 2 quotes over the phone. The best was $516 a month with Haas Insurance. And then there was Gamble INsurance in London which quoted me for the $650 a month... I tried Allstate but noone picked up. Tried their website too but it didn't work right. I think Progressive is just American... Haas said I should get my G as soon as possible, then I'd notice a decrease at 21, 23, and 25 - assuming I'm not cought doing something stupid.I don't feel like driving a cheap car either. Could look at the girl I work with, bought an 02 neon and now she needs to replace the transmission - expensive :huh: . And right after she had to have work done to the a/c. Dunno what the previous driver did to it but... Beater+repairs+insurance(still) might aswell just get what you want from the get go :PThe $275 sounds like it's without collision, cuz that's almost exactly what mine would be. Assuming I didn't get collision, which I kinda have to get. I'll be 21 in february. $6200 a year is doable.(ridiculous, but....) I'm making minimum wage now, and I've figured it all out :)

I'm sorry the Albertan in me just has to say this:MINIMUM WAGE! People can actually make minimum wage? Find a new job! That's just crazy! Tim Hortons pays five dollars an hour over minimum wage!Sorry, it had to be said.Wayne.

I'm sorry the Albertan in me just has to say this:MINIMUM WAGE! People can actually make minimum wage? Find a new job! That's just crazy! Tim Hortons pays five dollars an hour over minimum wage!Sorry, it had to be said.Wayne.

Enjoy that while you can. When the oil runs out, I imagine many Albertans will have a tough time even finding a minimum wage job...

Lol, then your obviously from out west. Tim Hortons pays minimum wage in Ontario... All of them do. As does alot of jobs, including being a line cook. Nothing wrong with minimum wage. As long as it's enough money coming in, I've got more than enough saved up from my last job n e how.