Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snow_Dogs

The Fun Begins

59 posts in this topic

The fun has begun! :rockit::rollsmile: I'm going to town on Lit'l Beasty and giving him a new look inside and out!Sunday we stripped the panels off of Lit'l Beasty for paint. This was our first time removing panels and thanks to the instructions from Evilution we managed to get them off in about 2 1/2 hours. I know, some of you can do it in minutes with your eyes closed. We got caught up with trying to get the antenna off, ended up mangling it and then breaking it. Bill has promised to make a funky new one for me. We also ran into problems figuring out the clips on the door panels, but once we got the first one off the other was a breeze. post-497-1221708994_thumb.jpgpost-497-1221709052_thumb.jpgpost-497-1221709073_thumb.jpgpost-497-1221709100_thumb.jpgpost-497-1221709122_thumb.jpgpost-497-1221709151_thumb.jpgpost-497-1221709226_thumb.jpgpost-497-1221709259_thumb.jpgWe found more damage on the front fender panel, so I guess hitting the plastic cones at Pitt Meadows didn't do the damage to the splitter panel.I'm thinking that the damage was there when I bought the car. The guy at the body shop says that he can fix it.post-497-1221710391_thumb.jpg

Oh... Almost forgot..What color will the paint be? What am I doing to the interior?Check it out...post-497-1221711591_thumb.jpgSince I can't get the aqua orange panels here, I'm painting the panels the color of my cell phone cover.I'm going to take a stab at reupholstering the seats in the circle material and black leather. If the seats turn out I'm going to go on and do the door cards, pockets, and dash. I'm thinking the door cards in a mix of the material and black leather, the pockets and dash in orange leather. I haven't made up my mind on which orange leather to use, I'm leaning towards the darker. From there a new luggage cover and ebrake gaiter, I haven't decided on colors for those yet. I might do the luggage cover in black leather with orange leather circles. Fun fun fun.... :lol:

It sounds like Halloween is already inspiring you, Snow_Dogs! Ambitious project, but I expect that you'll do a knock-out job with it based on what we've seen of your projects so far. We look forward to seeing the butterfly after the metamorphosis.

Wow, it's like a strip tease show with a smart. She even does a pole dance routine sideways on one! LOL Good luck on this, the colors look smashing! I look forward to the finished shots!

Well, now I'm definitely saving up money for a fortwo :PHopefully before it gets too cold to do stuff outside with neighbours asking "is your car naked"...

Hi Deb,Have you finished the paint job. I read that you would be waving madly in your orange car. Would love to see pictures! Sounds great.Geraldine

I pick up the panels next week, it's sitting naked in the garage right now.The body shop said that he would need the panels for three days, so either Monday or Tuesday they should be ready.I also, just picked up eyebrows that I ordered from the UK ...I'll post pictures when we get them!!

Wow - I had no idea you were doing this until I read this thread today! Will the panels be the metallic orange like your cell phone? Looks Great! :D Eyebrows! OK, are you competing with my eyelashes or are you making this one male AKA Marx brothers? Friend for my little "Rosie"? :rolleyes: Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Yup Orange like the cell phone cover.Someone had them at Pitt Meadows and I really liked the look.Here's a picture of what they look like...post-497-1222012978_thumb.jpg

Will it be a reddish orange like mine or more orange? Looks almost like mine in the photo but then often photos can be deceiving! B) What a big change from the white! :P

It will be the copper/orange of my cell phone cover. The picture that I posted of the eyebrows is someone else's car that was at Pitt Meadows.Trust me I'll post pictures as things evolve....

Update...

Well things are going swimmingly... sort of...

The panels are finally ready! :clap2:

I'm so excited I can hardly wait to see them, the paint that we went with is a DuPont Hot Hues dual color paint job. The base coat is a silver called Cosmic Dust, then there is a dye coat called Molten Orange Candy.... The guy at the body shop said it will be the same as the cell phone cover, but with more metal flake in the sun.

I'll post pictures when we get them..... :lol:

The bad news.... :cry2:

I can't believe that this actually happened, but then again the strangest things seem to happen to me and my smart...

My wonderful little dogs have turned my beloved smart car into a giant chew toy. Yesterday my husband and I were in the garage discussing our next moves with the car and I look down and see amber glass on the floor. First thought was two of the dogs got behind the barrier that we erected and were rough housing next to the car and broke the turn signal bulb that was hanging loose due to the panels being off...

On closer inspection Nooooooooo :o

I notice that there is more damage, the little rotters have chewed out the temperature probe that sits in the lower rad shroud in doing so also chewed off the wiring harness for the temperature probe not to mention chewing up part of the lower rad shroud. Rotten little fur balls. Someone also chewed on the turn signal bulb and broke it.

Unfortunately I did not catch the hooligan in the act, so I have no idea who did the deed out of our five dogs. But, I do have two very strong suspects both of whom I have caught chewing on stuff that they shouldn't be chewing on as of late. I have checked everyone over to look for signs of glass in their mouth, luckily no one was bleeding profusely nor did anyone have shards of glass stuck in their mouth. I think most of the glass was recovered, but the temperature probe is still MIA. I guess the smart's are tasty to a dog, who knew. Needless to say they are all banned from the garage now.

So far parts to fix the damage are quoted at $227.32 That’s one expensive little chew toy...

Can you say... As The Stomach Turns?

Here are some pictures of the damage done.

post-497-1222716859_thumb.jpgpost-497-1222716907_thumb.jpg

Ouch.The next time you start the car, if the outside temp reads between 38 and 39 degrees, we can guess where the temp probe is :o Good luck with the rest of the colour change.MG

Oh no! with my two I usually know which one but sometimes they fool me too. Too bad you can't take finger (paw) prints to catch to culprit to maybe some saliva DNA! OK,so I have been watching too much CSI! :D Can't wait to see the great unveiling Deb!

Shoot, that sucks! Bad doggie!When do we get to see the new painted panels?!-Iain

They're Here! :lol: Finally my panels are home, now I just have to wait for the bits that the dogs chewed off... Hopefully they will be here by Friday, fingers crossed.I can't wait to put it all together....As promised here are the pictures...post-497-1222815834_thumb.jpgpost-497-1222815857_thumb.jpgpost-497-1222815870_thumb.jpgpost-497-1222815892_thumb.jpgpost-497-1222815907_thumb.jpgpost-497-1222815929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Snow_Dogs

I'm not really a fan of orange, but the way the second last picture is catching the light tells me those are going to look AMAZING!Wayne.

Wow - When you said the same colour as your cell I didn't think they would come out so close! That is amazing! I love the gold showing through with the sun on it! You'll have to hand out sunglasses for the admirers! :cool02: Are you going to give this one a new name, like Tangerine? :D