Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tan

Too Protective?

28 posts in this topic

This might be a weird topic, but I was wondering if anyone else has/had this problem:Ever since my friends, and every Tom, Dick and Harry found out I'm getting a Smart, all I've heard is "you've got to let me try it". Now I'm not even sure "how" to drive this vehicle and am leery about letting everybody try it, at the same time I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying no. Am I alone in feeling this way or am I just being too protective over my Smart (I do have that tendency). :dunno2:

Short of a collision or entering a pothole, there is nothing bad that can be done to your new car by letting someone else drive it.

Your not alone!I'll take people for rides, but let them drive my baby..... Nope... No Way... No How...Even my husband is leary of driving my smart...Tell them that the car's computer has to learn your driving habbits and anyone else driving during the learning period may confuse things.Partially true...

I don't think you are being over-protective. If people really need to try out a smart, send them to the dealer; there is usually a contest of some sort going on that you have to test drive a smart to enter. MG

Thanks for the great excuse! I've been trying to figure out a way to say no, but couldn't come up with a reason. I've even thought about that commercial on TV where the guy throws his keys away in front of his friend and says he'd let him try it but can't find his keys. Not sure if you saw that one. lol

That's a good commercial, my fave is when the woman hoses the guy down for asking to drive her suv. I can so see myself doing that one... :evil:

That's a good commercial, my fave is when the woman hoses the guy down for asking to drive her suv. I can so see myself doing that one... :evil:

Yes! Maybe we could carry a water pistol!

"still breaking it in" is always a good excuse.MG

Will definitely use that! Thanks! I wonder how many years it will take before they get suspicious? lol :hmmph02:

Hmmm so far I have let one other person drive and offered 2 other people the opportunity. I really can't see a reason not to. These things aren't going to break like a tinker toy if you let someone else drive. Just tell them to be gentle and not let the RPM over 4k

I let dufter (Dave S from Edmonton) drive mine when it was a week old, it's really no problem. Since then, at least fifteen others have driven it....

I've had mine for a week and I've let 3 people drive her so far...I mean I want to show them what all the hype is about :) Why not educate!

I'd say it depends how you feel about other items you own.

Would you lend out a new outfit to a friend before you've even worn it once or twice? Would you let a friend borrow a brand new book before you've even read it?

There's nothing wrong with sharing things after you've had a chance to use it yourself first. ;) Some people would be willing to let a friend be the one to drive it home from the dealership, others would wait a week or two before allowing others to drive it, and some will wait even longer. It's all good. ^_^

I am also overprotective. I've had it a year and a half and my fiance has driven it twice. One time only because I wore incorrect driving footwear and was uncomfortable enough to let him have the wheel, second time when our other car was unavailable. Everyone knows that I do the driving of my car. I baby the car and listening to the way anyone else drives him just makes me cringe.

My husband drives Iris, but nobody else. Just him and me. I also don't let out tools with sharp edges or moving bits. Hubby does and what do you know, his expensive cutter comes back busted and the borrower never even apologized, let alone offered to replace the blade. Sheesh. I'll give someone a ride to the dealership to test drive their own smart but no way they're getting the chance to hurt my baby in an accident or something. People all too seldom respect borrowed things in our disposable society.I will cheerfully offer to drive someone or operate my tools for them long before loaning them.

I agree with you and Yolanda I don't like to lend out stuff either it only has a lifespan of so long and we paid for it so why would under normal circumstances would I lend out my car. Now I remember thinking it was so nice that Glenn was able to borrow a smart to run home from a road trip south to retreive another tire. but he was an experienced smart driver and would have probably fixed anything he messed with.It depends on the circumstances I think, but just to tool around and try it no way. Send them to a merc. dealer.Karen

Let me add the opposite to this discussion:A "Big Boat Driver" smirked "I would not drive a thing like that", and my answer was, "Oh, I was not going to let you"

If youve waited a LOOOOONG time to get one through the reservation program, I would see nothing wrong with saying "I waited, so go to the dealer and get your own." (Very protective.) But then I might let the person drive it while cringing the whole time... But wait, I didnt get mine yet. :P

It's your car - you don't have to let anyone else drive it if you don't want them to - I don't let anyone else wear my shoes either. No excuses are required. Anyone asking to do something like that is simply rude and presumptuous. Ignore the request or simply say no.

When we get ours I know it'll take a long time to let someone try it.Something to be wary of with a new driver to a smart! The car flies through the RPMS quickly and so be ready to hit the shifter for them! When my wife first drove a diesel and the gas just the whole experience had her ruffled enough not to watch the tach and so I ended up catching it just under redline for her! :) That way your not bitter at anyone for hurting your car!