Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
garry stearns

New smart Roadster?

28 posts in this topic

post-556-1222301635_thumb.jpgMy wife is in Germany and while there, with her Cousin, visited the smart Dealer. She states this is the new Roadster, although the Roadster rights were sold to a consortium. Take a look a the picture......which she states is a smart. Our friend is sitting in the car. An email has been sent to her to reaffirm the smart model.It is cool. A forfour is available for those who wish to see one.GarryP.S. The wheel covers say "Brabus". Edited by garry stearns

That first photo is of a kit car based upon the smart...not a new smart roadster! Interesting nonetheless!

It is a kit car done by Michalak. They call it the C7. It's a kit for the fortwo

michalak c7

I find the layout of the fuel tank kind of interesting. Right there with the engine.

Posted Image

In April -07, I was the first Swede ever to testrun this Kitcar. At the 2007 Husumer

Krabbenevent we convoied a whole bunch of smartcars from Husum to Flensburg. At this local sC

some of us were allowed to testrun the Michalak C7. It can be assembled to either a ForTwo or Roadster

as they are equal in most parts. I found it much more convient to drive than the R/RC. Guess more "Slick"

is the best word for it. Serch this whole sCs-forum "Michalak C7" for more info !

CcL

post-90-1222344540_thumb.jpg

post-90-1222344717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kofångar-Lasse

As for the 'smart tower', all smart centres in Europe have a tower like that, so they are easier to spot from the highway (the ones in Holland all are really close or even next to a highway).

Hup Hup Holland!I've not been to NL since smart has been around, but when I lived there from 1969-72 I did enjoy it a lot.

Thanks for the information and photos. The kit as a roadster looks great and what a challenge it would be to bring one over. I requested my wife to get a few prices on used roadsters, from a dealership in Munich, where she will be going on Saturday. Presently, she has stayed and toured around Eyrlagen (wrong spelling). In earlier threads I wondered how to bring a forfour or, roadster over to Canada and was told to tag the vehicle 1978, and there would be no problem. I would hate to take the chance. As an exercise in futility and punishment I will try and find out the complete cost of bringing an approved car over. The forfour was tested by DOT in May of 2005, but the results were never made public. That arena may be a starting point.Garry

Oooofff, how common are those kits to see out there?! In April, I saw I think 3-4 roadsters (one blasted by us on the way south from Brussels into Paris!). I've got to admit, I think it's a bit of a shame that someone would modify their car to look like that; the Roadster is already so rare as it is, to change it into something like that!-Iain

I don't really see how that's possible - the chassis design between the cars is completely different!-Iain

Every kit consists of a robust fibreglass body that is stretched over a computer-designed and crashtestedtube chassis frame that includes floorboards. Virtually the entire body is produced in one piece.

I don't think it different chassis from the roadster/fortwo matters. One of the things stated on the website for the C7 is that a damaged smart could be reused and turned into a C7.

Under the stainless and fibre reinforced plastic body, Michalak Design incorporates trusted productiontechnology from the Smart Fortwo. Parts such as axles, engine and transmission, seats andinstruments are used without any modifications. "This way a used or even crashed micro-car can turninto a new sports car with a few twists of the wrench", says developer Bernd Michalak.

It would be nice to actually speak with someone who has done the conversion from roadster/fortwo to C7 to know for sure Edited by micromachine

Oh, wait - I think I am confused, I thought these Michlak kits were just replacement body panels.But it's more than that? Like rip apart the car, and re-use modules, like steering and the rear DeDion/engine/transmission module?-Iain

Ok for those of us who dream about owning a roadster ...What if the folks who bought the design reengineered it into a kit car. Kit cars can make it across the boarder. Buy the basic chassis/body, take an existing four-two as a donor car and voila - 4 years later you have your very own roadster :)

neat idea - but the photos in this thread don't show a roof of any kind on this kit - no hard top or ragtop

I was thinking about the original smart roadster - not this kit. Someone bought the design from Daimler when production was shut down. If those guys could re-engineer it as a kit they could bring it into north america.

It comew with both options. You just need to read through the website for the Michalak C7. There is also a one seat design.

I was thinking about the original smart roadster - not this kit. Someone bought the design from Daimler when production was shut down. If those guys could re-engineer it as a kit they could bring it into north america.

not a hope in whatever of that happenning. The new owner of the smart Roadster bought the assembly equipment for the Roadster, along with the design & copyright, from smart. I believe that there is also some agreement re:smart providing some components. Last year the new smart Roadster company announced that they were setting up an assembly line in Wales due to some tax breaks. The chief designer is an ex-Jaguar designer and oddly enough the new roadster prototype does have an updated XKE look to it.But with whats going on in the auto industry right now, I wonder if the new Roadster will get launched.

In earlier threads I wondered how to bring a forfour or, roadster over to Canada and was told to tag the vehicle 1978, and there would be no problem. I would hate to take the chance. As an exercise in futility and punishment I will try and find out the complete cost of bringing an approved car over. The forfour was tested by DOT in May of 2005, but the results were never made public. That arena may be a starting point.Garry

Not sure what it means to "tag the vehicle 1978". Earlier this year I exchanged messages with somebody on this forum & they thought the only way to bring over a Roadster legally was to bring it in as a "kit" i.e. buy a Roadster with no engine, buy an engine, upgraded suspension components, etc and then assemble it in Canada. Not sure what the complexities would be with getting insurance though.

reading on the supplied link http://www.thec7.co.uk/michalak_c7.htm

it states "Michalak Design, together with several partner companies in Germany, Great Britain,

Canada and Australia will offer professional support during assembly [of the C7 kit] to those requiring expert advise".

So I wonder who the Canadian partner company is.

The website also says "Initially, the C7 will be available either as a classic twoseater

roadster or as the one-seater open-wheeled Clubsport version. After that, hard and soft-top

models are planned as well as the Shooting-Break model – a two-door estate car".

So there is no availability or pricing yet for a hard top.

"For an outlay of 7000 Euros you can turn your tired Smart City Coupe into this sensational Sports Car"

At today's exchange rate it would be $10500 Canadian plus shipping, duty & taxes for the basic kit.

Another Smart based kit is the Zonta.

Posted Image

Its a version of a Ford Focus based kit, with ForTwo parts replacing the Ford bits.

Cute looking kit but it looks to be an off-road vehicle.

The Michalak C7 appears to be one that you could actually license. Not sure what the ins and outs would be in Canada to get one of these on the road though.