Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Razorback

Sister Betty's Great American Road Trip

14 posts in this topic

At first I thought "You got to be kidding" then on second thought "I have to go and take a look to see what this is all about" then after the third thought "I'll just have a quick look around, then leave"

I found this website that is smart related and interesting. You may just enjoy the adventure and reading material.

Sister Betty's Great American Road Trip

No planned route, no set end date. The plan is simple: see as much as possible before the money runs out.

Must be nice! I have planned a trip spanning all of Canada and the US, but with 10 days of vacation per year, it's simply impossible. I'd have to quit and have another job lined up but say "I'll start in 2 months".Who are these people?!-Iain Edited by Duck

You only got 10 days vacation??? Now I feel really lucky, I've got 24 days vacation and I save 4 hours vacation a week on top of that, so that's another couple of weeks.Compared to you guys, I must be in heaven LOL.

8 weeks, but I take pay for 3 of them, usually....

Let me count, I get 4, plus 1 more makes 5. One year they gave me 5 extra as a bonus.I actually took 5 in a row off once, hey, that was three years ago this month. Where was I today? Uhm, Western Ontario?

Wow Duck that really sucks. How long have you been at your place? At 10 years out of school I'm at 5 weeks with a fair chance of a bonus week each year. I know 2 weeks is the minimum they have to give, but I thought most places started at 3 weeks if you have some sort of professional qualifications (or have a good union)?

I've been working for 8 years... 5 at one robotics place and 3 at this one. Even at the last place when I left I only had 2 weeks.Automation is a hard industry, though - I have to really fight even to take the 2 weeks off I'm entitled to. I've never heard of anyone starting with 3 weeks! Even my engineering manager who's been here for 7 years only gets 2 weeks... and he rarely takes more than 1....so yeah I really hate people who take a "month off" and "backpack across Europe" and stuff like that. :P-Iain

Officially I get 4w after 15 years at our Co, but rarely actually take more than 3, I'm probably like Duck's manager. We're in consulting engineering; we have to make hay when the sun's a-shining, then when it's slow, we have to work just as hard to find more work.No new hires at our place get paid vacation; everyone starts as a "temp" and their pay rate for actual hours "includes" sick time, vac. and stat hols (i.e., until they're on staff, they don't get paid for Christmas, Good Friday etc). This is pretty well normal in the industry.

Three of my 8 weeks off are in lieu of all worked overtime, which is - in a typical year - 5 weeks (say 180 hours) at straight time, in other words, a net loss of two weeks. So five off is like three in a typical year. This year, I may break even on O/T for the first time in recent memory. Still jealous?Duck, 2 weeks is almost Japanoid in its skimpiness! You should get at least 3!

I'm on salary. No such thing as overtime, paid or unpaid, and I put in at least that much extra time each year.Every company's different. I don't complain as I worked for many years as a consultant and then the entire employee rating system was predicated on the idea that 100% charge-abilty on a 40 hour week was the starting point on the rating scale and got you a "Needs Improvement" rating.

I worked Salary at my last job and swore I'd never do it again. When I left I had 17 weeks of "Lieu" time that I wasn't allowed to take off and the company refused to pay me out.Bitter? Yes.The place I'm at has paid overtime, and it is fantastic. I was making a killing last year, easily 1.5 times my normal yearly "salary"! But this year we are sooo slow so we're working the bare minimum (40h/week). For a long while I was doing 70-75 hour weeks...-Iain

No such thing as overtime, paid or unpaid, and I put in at least that much extra time each year.

Poor bunnykins; so how many weeks of time off do you get after all that? ;)