Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

My 404 Coupé Injection

284 posts in this topic

The handbrake cable and control were assembled and mounted today, along with the pedal box.

The worst part of the whole operation was discovering that the buttress under the driver's side, which is a Peugeot original, has a captive stud that is about 6 mm too short to hold the metal handbrake sheath under the driver's floor. So I had to remove the brass clamp and reduce its thickness by about 3 mm on both sides using a Dremel and files (good old engineering on this part, with massive redundancy) in order to get it on.

The pedal box was dead easy of course and the stuff under the car was as well.

32569095707_4c68bb23f6_c.jpg

47458532592_ac8dcc8e98_c.jpg

46787471004_5b86d1cb14_c.jpg

The front seats have been reupholstered by Geoff Chrysler.  Very nice: natural grain dyed through light grey "Hyde" brand leather, with heating elements (I'll need a better alternator than it came with to power that!).  Parts of the headliner (also redone by Geoff) are visible in the foreground.  His next task is redoing the rear bench, which has a fold-down armrest.  I may get the parts in the photo this coming Monday.

46822189984_fc21dbd78e_c.jpg
1 person likes this

I whipped the Kugelfischer injection pump and head off today.  I'll bring the pump with me to Britain next week for calibration and new seals, and the head seems good with no fine cracks between valve seats, although I have a new one to use.  The liners have a nearly undetectable lip at the top so could be reused, but won't be, because I have new ones.

46757438845_6c7541085a_b.jpg

47620427152_0f8a40cec4_b.jpg

My Kugelfischer KF2 injection pumps - the one from the car is second from left.
47719227681_9265872e0a_c.jpg

The stainless steel trims from front and rear windscreens as well as the back of the roof buttresses.
33842201878_65e5d6cde6_c.jpg

Rear bench seat in light grey leather.
40752894123_19c9680335_c.jpg

1 person likes this

The stainless steel trims are now mounted on the replica inner door and rear seat area upper side panels...
48391618746_52b62b8ab7_c.jpg

right quarter window installed:
48391629261_5e6c8ba749_c.jpg

and the left one : 
48391770107_1f647b8541_c.jpg

1 person likes this

48400542787_fe5bd6aff4_c.jpg

I had to drill two new holes in my brand new rear fender to mount the stainless steel trim at the peak of the rear fender.  Stressful!  I broke a small drill bit but didn't damage any visible part of the fender.  So it worked well and now only the left side remains to be done.

The left fender peak trim is also on and now the rear roof trim as well.  The clips that hold the trim on have teeth that bite into the body seam so all were treated with a thick goop of Waxoyl before installing, to protect the metal.

48572597787_69e76fcb09_b.jpg

1 person likes this

48662342051_5337bf5a83_c.jpg
I mounted the sill trims (stainless steel) yesterday.

48661969023_4fc0cb6ca7_c.jpg
And today I retrimmed the driver's door panel in vinyl to match the seats.  It turned out well, despite me being an amateur.

Next: passenger side....

Original Italian rubber mats glued in on the passenger side.  53 years old and still in good shape.

48735208022_41a1e07c66_h.jpg

1 person likes this

48905961023_6441acfc62_c.jpg
Heater controls mounted - all silver cadmium plated

48906685842_36ff66930d_c.jpg
Both rear quarter panel trims were mounted.

48906606002_28581153d0_c.jpg
New headliner mounted. Front part is not mounted because the windshield has to go in first.

That's one of the next tasks: front and rear windshields.

1 person likes this

48960749452_10fea17978_c.jpg

New carpets custom made for the 404C by Geoff Chrysler in Highlands BC. Wilton wool.

Seat slides (NOS) hand painted in Krylon semi-gloss after tidying up.

48966066507_5700277e7e_c.jpg

Upper door replica panel for a Cabriolet modified by me to fit the Coupé and it worked reasonably well.  The shape difference is quite remarkable and quite a bit of work was needed.
48965340168_9d50e3dfe7_c.jpg

The panel completely installed, taken from inside the car with the door closed.
48965341318_e066b6f806_c.jpg

Edited by MikeT
1 person likes this

I used this new S.U.R.&R. PFT409 brake flaring tool.....
49113372787_a4eee4d250_b.jpg

....to make my first ever brake line:
49113372362_1fc1590043_b.jpg

And wow is that tool ever amazing!  Perfect DIN bubble flare every time.  The pistol grip tool is hydraulic.  Expensive but worth it if only for the knowledge that I can't mess up.

This line is the one that connects the two front Thermostable brake cylinders.

1 person likes this

All the brake lines are done and new fuel lines were made at home today, then installed.  Lots of time govelling on the ground in the garage, but worth it!

Making one of the two fuel lines with the original as a template:

Making-a-fuel-line.jpg

The front brake splitter mounted on the crossmember:
Front-brake-splitter.jpg

Under the car:
Fuel-pipe-details-1.jpg

Rear brake proportioning valve mounted with new lines made at home:
Proportioning-valve-mounted.jpg

Yesterday I got a Mercedes shifter boot for the Nardi floor shifter.  A W115 has a similar boot to the original and only $25 brand new with taxes from TPM.

Shift-boot-in-carpet-2.jpg

2 people like this

Today I had about 4 hours to get some things done, so I cut the inner rear fender protectant and trunk floor insulation, mounted it, put the rubber mat in and clipped it into place with the 4 large modern plastic clips (better than the rubber originals and easier to use!).  Then I mounted the front fuel line retainer that holds the two fuel lines at the front end of the car, mounted the cage nuts on the road wheels and finally glued the seal to the fresh air intake.

trunk-protectant.jpg
trunk-floor-insulation.jpg
finished-trunk-2.jpg
finished-trunk.jpg
front-fuel-line-clamp.jpg
Wheel-with-nut.jpg
IMG-5702.jpg

1 person likes this

Sander May's stainless steel replica exhaust, with NOS Peugeot heat shield installed.  The diameter of the replica resonator is a bit smaller than the original in mild steel, so I had to make up a couple of small spacers in aluminium to allow the bands to clamp onto the body.  Soon to be mounted on the car.  The third photo shows one spacer, which is on the upper side of the resonator, so it's not visible from below.

IMG-5707.jpg
IMG-5708.jpg
IMG-5710.jpg

1 person likes this

After yesterday's repair to the broken captive bolt on the foam backed lower dashboard pad, today it was successfully mounted: 
Dashboard-pads.jpg

Light, horn and turn indicator controls installed, plus wheel of course:
Steering-wheel.jpg

Note the cover for the column shifter, part of the original Nardi floor shifter kit:
Steering-column.jpg

Trimmed the fresh air intake seal so the hood could close!
IMG-5720.jpg
1 person likes this

A bit of light work after Christmas:

1) wired up the extra interior light so it is a map light only (independent of the ceiling light)...may decide to change that later so it works with the doors too.

2) mounted the electric screen washer pump behind the steering column and got some new tubing to fit, as well as a new ABS T-fitting.  Installed a one way valve so it won't drain back when not in use.

3) developed a wiring diagram to connect the Swedish market two speed rotary wiper switch, which also has a push function to operate the screen washer.  The first owner fitted two speed wipers when the car was a few years old but I didn't like the rocker switch he used.

49285797057_538ae77e94_b.jpg

Next I will tackle wiring up the switch or install the driver's door upholstery panel.  Perhaps rubber brake lines.  May even attempt the rear window installation if I get ambitious enough.

1 person likes this

On Saturday the driver's door panel got mounted.  You might think it's a 10 minute job, but it's not.  The replica upper door panel is for a Cabriolet and required a whole lot of modification to fit.

49290375538_3903bddd6d_b.jpg

1 person likes this

49291128343_9be0ce64ce_b.jpg

Both sill plates are mounted with the OE plastic rivets.

1 person likes this

Stainless steel rear exhaust mounted with original Peugeot OE belts/hangers: 

rear-muffler-mounted.jpg 

And the middle section is mounted too, held in place temporarily with a zap strap: 

Front-exhaust.jpg

Flexible hose between floor and torque tube mounted to my homemade brake lines:

Torque-tube-brake-line.jpg

Right front brake hose mounted (the end is capped):

RF-brake-hose.jpg

And left front (you can see the cap on the end in this photo):

LF-brake-hose.jpg

Left front side bumper mount added.  The cage nut had flown the coop many years ago and so getting the long bolt started into the nut I was hanging onto with a dab of butyl was a bit of a challenge but it worked better than my attempt with magnets!

Side-bumper-mount-L.jpg

Left-front-side-bumper-mount.jpg

1 person likes this

F & F Safety Plate, the brand of windshield fitted to my car since at least January 1973, when...
windshield-brand.jpg

the last vehicle test was done (not required since 1983)
City-test-sticker.jpg

And the windshield is in!
Windshhield-installed.jpg

1 person likes this