Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
garry stearns

the smart is more expensive in euro

6 posts in this topic

My wife just returned from touring Germany, bringing me some real neat smart stuff. Forfour 1:43 scale, the Fortwo Cabria 1:87 scale, a chocolate smart large scale........disappeared earlier today......not saying how, pens, etc. and a German newwpaper with a used smart for sale column. The prices shock me....if I am doing the conversion right......... 1 Euro = 1.6053 CDN and the inverse is 1 CDN = .623 Euro.Here is a sample of some ads:Fortwo Brabus City-Coupe - 2004, 58,000kms Euro $7,950Fortwo Coupe, 2005, 38000kms, Euro 8,750Fortwo coupe Passion, 2007, 10,980kms, Euro 9,990.ForFour, Passion 32,000kms, 9,950. ForTwo Passion Turbo, 2007, 3,900kms, Euro 11,200.Brabus Cabrio 2008, with warranty to 2012, 98PS, Softtouch Automatic, ABS, ESP, SpFwk, Klimaaut., Lenkradsch, Brabus-Alu, Audio--Packet, etc. Euro 19,000.Now, all had listed various options etc, however, I cannot speak German so I cannot tell if diesel or, gas. If I am doing this calculation right, Euro $7,950 = $12,766 Canadian.The second last one on the list is Euro 11,200 or, 17,998 Cdn. Wouldn't these prices seem higher than what we would pay in Canadian dollars for a smart???Garry

The passion Turbo from 2007 sounds like an interesting deal!

Maybe prices are higher here because we have more taxes on cars.I know here in Holland we've got almost the highest taxes in Europe (Denmark is even better at putting taxes on cars). We pay 19% BTW (which is like VAT in the UK, not sure what you called it in Canada) and another tax called BPM, which is an extra tax on luxury goods. You can get a discount on BPM when your car is environmentally friendly and depending on the energy label it's got. Smart CDI and MHD are A-label which means a 1400 euro discount, other smarts are B and C label. When you get to D there is no discount anymore.The labeling system goes up to G. From E you are getting punished with higher and higher fines.So smart-buyers are happy customers, they don't have to pay a lot extra taxes.Besides that the CDI and the MHD get a 50% discount on roadtax because of low CO2 emissions.In 2009 the roadtaxes will be cut further for low emission vehicles as well as the BPM tax.We're looking forward to the new price of the CDI, because at the moment it is fined extra for being a diesel (a new CDI Pure costs almost 14,000 euros, compared to the cheapest version, an especially made version for Holland called Base, which is 8750 euros).FYI, the Base is really a base model, hardly no options available at all. If I remember it well, just 3 colour options and a radio, that's it.

Cars are pretty much always more expensive in Europe. The price on new cars is often double what we pay here.Go to some of the manufacturer sites that end in .co.uk or other European countries. You will be amazed at just how cheap Canadians are.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Taxes aren't included in your prices?? Hmmm, our prices are all in, except for "delivery" costs (license plates, cleaning, a little bit of fuel) which varies enormously, from 300 upt to 900 euro's.Yes, they know how to make money :D