Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Toyota IQ

65 posts in this topic

I think I read a few months back that the IQ may come to the US (and Canada?) in 2010. I seem to recall that it would likely have the 1.5l yaris engine rather than the 1.0l that Europe will get. Anyone heard if this is still on?garth

Apparently it'll be sold in the USA as a Scion. Dunno about CDN sales. It will likely be priced above a well-equipped (sic) Yaris though! Hmmm.....

The Scion brand is coming to Canada for 2010. I would expect that if the IQ is sold as a Scion in the US the same would happen here.

I really hope so - with the Toyota reliability behind it, it'd be a hit for sure!-Iain

I like the look of the Scion Tc, but I find the IQ quite hideous along with most of the other Toyota products.

Hmm, there is a guy driving an iQ around Ottawa here. I even saw him autoxing it several times during the summer. I talked to him briefly, he really like it. It is EXTREMELY narrow inside though. Kinda like driving in two dimensions.

Maybe they're thinking of the Mitsubishi i - there is at least one in the Toronto area I've seen more than once blasting along 401.-Iain

The i is really narrow! It's narrower than the fortwo, IIRC.

-Iain

There is a positively fantastic ~5 minute promotional flash video on the Toyota UK site for the iQ.

Check it out!

I pray they will return to their prototype roots, and equip this car with the glass roof the show-car had!

-Iain

The song in the video is Empty Streets (Seamus Haji & Paul Emmanuel Remix) by Late Night Alumni.

-Iain

I know they are heavily promoting the iQ on German Toyota sites. In terms of being sold here, Toyota has to redesign the bumper safety to pass the N.Am Standard. Until then, no iQ on these shores. As for safety, I don't think the iQ will compare with the Smarts.

What's wrong with the iQ's bumpers?I would also wager the iQ could potentially be even safer than the smart (why wouldn't it? It has 9 airbags, for example), and would almost certainly be more reliable. My Tercel and Corolla (previous two vehicles) had no problems in several hundred thousand km's of driving, save for 5 wheel bearings that my Tercel loved to eat. ;)-Iain

What's wrong with the iQ's bumpers?

The European/Rest of World standard is different from that of North America (excluding Mexico). In the past, cars in Canada would have to pass a low impact test @ 7km/h; US models would have to pass @ 5km/h. This has since been harmonized and the US speed is now the standard for both the states and Canada. Hence why we can't get many European models over here (import law dictates that European Spec/Rest of World models can only be imported to Canada once they are 15 years or older - Hence why you are seing many Right Hand Drive Nissan Skyline GTR's lately) All that to say, the Euro Spec/Rest of World iQ currently does not meet the N.Am bumper/safety standard and would need slight modification by Toyota to pass.Other cars that I would love to have had here in N.Am include the VW Lupo and Polo, the new Fiat 500, etc...

I would also wager the iQ could potentially be even safer than the smart (why wouldn't it? It has 9 airbags, for example), and would almost certainly be more reliable. My Tercel and Corolla (previous two vehicles) had no problems in several hundred thousand km's of driving, save for 5 wheel bearings that my Tercel loved to eat. ;)

Sure, but does it have a Steel Tridion Cell? :D

You said currently does not meet - new cars being designed now (ie, the iQ) would be designed to meet these new laws, no?

-Iain

You said currently does not meet - new cars being designed now (ie, the iQ) would be designed to meet these new laws, no?

-Iain

Depends. If they intend to sell in N.Am under the Scion brand as rumoured then they perhaps have ensured that the existing specs meet all global standards.

I don't know how one would fit 4 adults in this thing though?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's actually a 3+1 :) Three adults and one child or legless adult.If they intend to sell 10000 or more a year in the States, they'll get it homologated. Honda has had to do that with the 2009 Fit -- the front ends are very different between JDM/EU and NA.

It's 3+1 - 3 adults and 1 child. It can't seat 4 adults. The idea is the passenger seat can go further forward (blocking the driver's view, lol).I so wish they'd kept the glass roof concept. Pisses me off when they show cool stuff like that then ditch it!! Argh!!-Iain

The European/Rest of World standard is different from that of North America (excluding Mexico). In the past, cars in Canada would have to pass a low impact test @ 7km/h; US models would have to pass @ 5km/h. This has since been harmonized and the US speed is now the standard for both the states and Canada. Hence why we can't get many European models over here (import law dictates that European Spec/Rest of World models can only be imported to Canada once they are 15 years or older - Hence why you are seing many Right Hand Drive Nissan Skyline GTR's lately) All that to say, the Euro Spec/Rest of World iQ currently does not meet the N.Am bumper/safety standard and would need slight modification by Toyota to pass.Other cars that I would love to have had here in N.Am include the VW Lupo and Polo, the new Fiat 500, etc...

And that's why the Echo Hatchback, the 1st Gen GS300 and the old Jetta Wagon had rather large rear bumpers.

I don't know how one would fit 4 adults in this thing though?

You don't. It's 3 adults plus a kid...

While in Paris last month we noticed that Toyota had a store front display on the Champs d"Elyse featuring the IQ.Looked impressive. More interesting was the mention that one of the engine options was a 1.4L diesel (If coming to Canada - were do I order).The IQ is expected to be on sale January 2009 in France. Pity not in Canada yet.I think Toyota is bringing Scion to Canada in 2010 because of the IQ, and because the US Scion will be selling them.Still love my Smart.

post-2682-1226707779_thumb.jpg

post-2682-1226707870_thumb.jpg