Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave&Maybel

Help, Please!

15 posts in this topic

This topic was discussed awhile ago but I don't know if it was ever resolved. Smartpooch was having probs because his (her?) car wouldn't start. Car would just do nothing. Wouldn't even try to start. There is lots of power to car and it is in neutral. Just won't start. It happened to me again a couple of days ago and has really got me worried that it will happen to my wife when she is alone somwhere at the most inopportune time (Murphy's Law). This is the third time it has happened now. Twice in Florida back in April and now here in Simcoe, Ontario. Called for Roadside Assistance after pushing the car a few blocks and waiting a couple of hours. Called for assistance finally then tried to start one more time before they got there and it started just fine as if there had never been a problem. I don't have a dealership close so it is hard for me to just drop off the car and get this figured out. Any words of wisdom on this subject that anybody can direct my way would be greatly appreciated. There was some theory that maybe there was radio frquencies or some kind of electronic interference that was blocking the cars ignition. I don't know. I was parked across the street from the Sorce this time. Getting very frustrated.Thanx, Dave

Nothing what-so-ever. Zilch, nada. Lots of juice but nothing at all. Got a pm from smartpooch that they replaced his starter and all has been fine. I don't know what to think because as I said it happened in Florida twice in April now again yesterday. Now everything is great again. Very frustrating.

Did you get this sorted out yet?One thing to try: Tap the starter with a hammer gently the next time this happens. If it starts when you tap it, it's probably a warn or defective brush, or a dead spot on the starter armature itself. I find that hard to believe on a car just a few years old though.

Nothing what-so-ever. Zilch, nada. Lots of juice but nothing at all. Got a pm from smartpooch that they replaced his starter and all has been fine. I don't know what to think because as I said it happened in Florida twice in April now again yesterday. Now everything is great again. Very frustrating.

I"m having the same problem :o I fooled around with the key fob, lock then unlock but nothing happens. i just got the car yesterday. I brought it to MB, I asked about the cars history. They said the only thing that they could see being done to the car was that the starter was replaced. So I don't believe its a starter issue. Dave%Maybel mentioned an ignition box being loose. does someone no where that is? Thx in advance

:angry: I have the same thing happening to me over and over again and the starter was replaced last year but to start it when it don't start I just tap the tip of the starter and it starts. Then it is good for a couple of weeks, sometimes days but I do this every so often... I really don't want to replace the starter it costs about $900. I really don't have the money for that...and I find it hard to believe it could be the starter cause it's new...arggg this frustates me... Anyways, I always keep a jack bar with me so I can do this, but they might come a time that it won't work.

Must be the wiring. Run a jumper wire to see if it is (be careful!).

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sorry...loose ignition box that they either tightened or replaced.

Are you saying that the loose ignition box was your problem and it is now resolved? Or are you clarifying that was in fact smartpooch's problem (not the starter motor)?edit: Just noticed the dates on the original posts ---- so we're not likely to get an update on that now. Edited by deezle

A friend's had the same problem, was able to jump start. Had the starter change and all ok.

Other thing to watch is that the starter makes a good electrical contact with the mount point as it depends on this for a ground. If there is crud or corrosion or the bolts have goop on them you might not get the needed ground path for all the juice the starter requires. When you tap it and it works - that indicates a bad connection - either in the starter or the ground circuit. Can also mean bad bearingsor alignment but that is less likely.If you run a jumper from the starter housing to ground and it works - you know the culprit.I discovered this the hard way when I did a really nice paint job on the starter housing - well of course the paint acted as a good insulator and the start wasn't happy until bare metal was returned.Cheers,Cameron

I"m having the same problem :o I fooled around with the key fob, lock then unlock but nothing happens. i just got the car yesterday. I brought it to MB, I asked about the cars history. They said the only thing that they could see being done to the car was that the starter was replaced. So I don't believe its a starter issue. Dave%Maybel mentioned an ignition box being loose. does someone no where that is? Thx in advance

I got same problem...lights in dash on dimmly..seems like ground problem some where... Did you get yours sorted out ??????

Main ground cables are very important. I have replaced both the one in the engine compartment and the one in the battery compartment.

Cheap DIY job. You can get generic cables at Canadian Tire and elsewhere. 17" for the rear one and 8" for the battery. About $15 each IIRC. Be sure to get good cables.

See LINK for Kane's take on this simple upgrade .

Hope someone finds this useful.

Bil :sun:

PS be sure you have your radio code handy before you begin.

a big culprit to no starts etc, is corroded battery connections. don't overlook them even if they were checked not that long ago.