Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Howie

S-Mann air scoop install

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering how to install the S-Mann side air scoop. There are about 6 or 8 small screws, but does the black plastic piece already on the car have to be removed first, or do you just screw the screws right through it? If not, how do you remove the black plastic part?Thanks, Howie

Thanks for the info. Well, that shows how to remove the intake piece, but I'm wondering if it actually has to be removed first. If it's removed, then you have to screw into metal, whereas if it's not removed, you screw into plastic. Has anyone that has installed one of these taken off the plastic or just screwed into it?Thanks again, Howiewww.howielipton.com

Plastic. You just take out the oem intake cover like Evilution shows, then use the wee screws that come with the S-Mann scoop to fasten it to the plastic edge of the hole. Do the delip while you're at it - worth the extra few minutes. And make sure the scoop's screen is well fastened.HTHBil :sun:

Glad Bill answered that one as I wasn't 100% sure but thought the base of the intake would be reused.

In the Michalak kit, you're right, lebikerboy. You just pull out the entire intake cover and throat (funnel) and plug in the Mich' in its place. The S-Mann keeps the original throat as it just sits on the surface.B :sun:P.S. drill tiny pilot holes for the S-Mann and try to get them aligned around the rim such that the screws go into the rim channel, and not the solid bit. You'll see exactly what I mean when you take out the assembly from the tridion. Measure twice; drill once! ;)

Well, it was a bit tricky to get the screws into the flat part of the plastic but it's done. I think that's the part they were supposed to go into. I didn't trim the inside plastic piece because I didn't know why I should be doing that.Anyway, here's a picture...Thanks again for the quick replies to help!Howie

post-6382-1225057309_thumb.jpg

I agree, the delipping mod is very helpful. After adding a K7N filter to my 450 and the s-mann scoop it doesn't seem to search as much between gears. Also, when drilling the pilot holes, I used a 5/64" drill bit. Just the right size to have the included torx screws still grab when screw in.

Hey guys,Does it make any difference if I remove the stock intake cover or not? Right now I have the intake cover unclipped at the 8 o'clock position so its slightly opened. However, I think you guys install the air scoop with the intake cover completely off?I'm just worried small debree might still get in the intake since the mesh grill on the air scoop is quite spaced out. Please advise.Thanks!!B

Edited by Sagittarius30

The air go thru the air filter, so no worry. Putting the S-mann air scoop really recommend de-lip for better and clean air flow. There won't be much debris can go in if you are on the move.

Edited by JKA6373