Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

CCV Tube is DONE.

239 posts in this topic

So, I'm driving along yesterday at lunch with a coworker and punching it... approaching 3k r/min under heavy acceleration I hear a loud whistling coming from the turbocharger.

I took a look last night but couldnt' see a split anywhere but I bet one of the hoses is split or has a hole in it - whatever, will get it looked at during next service.

In the process of that I looked under the car and saw that the transmission casing is still covered with oil (not surprising - it has always been, ever since the night I took delivery) - but now it's absolutely SOAKED. Everything in the area is soaked with oil. Clutch actuator is black with oil. Everything. It's all coming out the bottom of the intercooler, where the hose curves back up toward the EGR.

It's all because of that piece of crap CCV hose, sucking oil out of my engine and then it pools in the bottom of the Intercooler, the first point where it has an upward direction to take. I'm so pissed off.

I have had not 5 minutes to myself in the last month and a half to even think about doing anything project-related but I am booking 2 days of myself off next week to sit down and do this right - that CCV tube is so gone.

I am FUMING

-Iain

Edited by Duck

Photos please Iain when you have a chance. Sorry to hear about your experience but please post some photos and describe your fix action when able so the rest of us can live and learn from your experience and hopefully avoid yet another unfortunate incident in the middle of nowhere. I have started printing the photos and narratives off this site and compiled them in a binder as my pseudo smart maintenance manual since my intent is to self-service as much of my smart as possible once the warranty is up. Good luck. Cappytanjack ...

The only good thing is that this issue is not something that "happens" instantly, its like a chronic problem that has been ongoing for the life of my vehicle. I just snapped in the parking lot last night when I saw how bad it has gotten and it drives me insane that Mercedes thinks it's a non issue.-Iain

I have seen a few people install a cyclone in the vent line, it removes the oil droplets from the airstream and returns the accumulated oil to the oil pan. Wonder if that would be a good solution?

I had this issue Duck. Mercedez replaced the intercooler, the hoses, and installed a 'revised shroud', amongst other things. Not exactly sure what all they did, but it seems to have fixed the issue.I discovered the oil leak when my belt shreded.

If it seems like it is fixed, all it means is that 100% of the oil is now passing into your engine and being burned, instead of a lot of it pooling up and falling out at the bottom of the intercooler. So, your intercooler (as is everyone's) is getting gunked up, making it harder for the car to breathe.I do want a new intercooler because I can't even fathom how clogged mine is... I asked at a rad shop if they could flush it (as per Bil) but they said they wouldn't ever attempt something like that on the cdi.The whole point of the "oil leak" is that there shouldn't be any oil there in the first place leaking out!!!!!!!!!!!! Stopping it leaking is like putting the chunk of skull back on a bleeding brain saying "See? The blood's not coming out of their head anymore, it's all good."-Iain

Edited by Duck

Hrm. I see what you mean.But you can't simply remove the CCV tube can you? If the crankcase can't breath, that's a pretty terrible thing to do to an engine isn't it? Wouldn't you be better off connecting it to a filtered air box, and doing so in such a way that condensed oil vapors could fall back into the crankcase?

Oh man!... Déjà vu all over again... Sorry to hear this, Duck. Hope you get it sorted next week.Bil :sun:

Where do I get a "catch tank"? Will NAPA know what this is if I ask for one?-Iain

I finally had a drop of oil hit the floor on my cabrio at 43000 kms, just a bit from the seapage that accumulates outside the CCV tube where it joins the intake just before the turbo. A rainy day and a bit of moisture getting up there, and voila, an oil drop. Not to be confused with the other item, which would be the turbo intake seal gone, that produces regular 'drops'... which come from the 'oil' being circulated back

Where do I get a "catch tank"? Will NAPA know what this is if I ask for one?-Iain

Maybe not NAPA, but any gear head or 'ricer' aftermarket shop will carry catch cans. Or you can try Jegs or Summit, they'll have in stock and ship next day. Very common problem with forced injection.

NAPA may carry Greddy or Cusco or some other brand. Usually $100 and up (mostly up).A speed shop will have 'em too. Suggest you find someplace that has one so you can look it over and fab something up yourself. Or
or something. LOTS of choices - :google: it and see!Looking forward to your solution...B :sun:

I agree with fabbing them if you have the time and parts, but I just found this one on Jegs for $20!

http://www.jegs.com/i/RCI/821/7040D/10002/-1

Interesting... I think we'd have to modify it though - wish they had a better picture or complete description!

One quart capacity :thumbup: That's kinda like a litre, Duck :P

Addendum: I was gonna order one to play with but by the time you add exchange, shipping, handling, tax, and customs, it'd be close to $70. I think I'll just hit Princess Auto and find a water separator again.

Edited by bilgladstone

$100 for a tin can with two fittings on it?!?! WTFNo, I'll make my own................................. this is so retarded-Iain

I saw a cool DIY someplace, made out of a stainless steel martini shaker!

I've never had a drip out of my car.....just lucky I guess.

Any possibility of an over-fill, Duck? The system sucks oil vapour from the crankcase, not "oil." Or, more likely, it's the oil return off the turbo.

There are lots of oil droplets that make it through too, even with the oil level set correctly.

You have to lower the oil level to near 1/3 on the crosshatch indicator (maybe just a wee bit under that) in order to meaningfully reduce the CCV oil passing through. It is a very fine line.:sun:

There are lots of oil droplets that make it through too, even with the oil level set correctly.

Yeah, but enough to cause a gusher? If you're filling the intercooler you're draining the sump.

Ask Iain, he's the one that had an intercooler replaced already for this reason.