Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

CCV Tube is DONE.

239 posts in this topic

So.... what did the inside of your intercooler look like, Duck?

I'm not one to try to make dead things more dead so I have a bit of a diversion. :)

@Duck: the seal I mean is a simple and inexpensive [what I call] "hat" transition seal that can be replaced in minutes. How it leaks is it gets compressed and loosens over time, and the oil that drips out originates primarily from our favourite love-to-hate CCV feed. And possibly also from that fluidic seal. But I just can't fathom how an actual turbo seal can be a quick and cheap re/re. IMHO/YMMV :sun: as always, new info is welcome in order to refine knowledge.

post-95-1227048059_thumb.gif

*edited to illustrate CCV recirculation tube
I have the 4-ply Forge silicone TIK pipe. This pipe fits very snug - it was a 7 minute fight to get the damn thing on even after soaking in 98C water. Trying to fit it over the "hat" seal is impossible as the Forge TIK pipe's diameter at that end is narrower than the "hat" seal. I have it jubilee (circular) clipped on to the inlet. Is this sufficient? Kane helped Forge design it so I would think this is more than sufficient. :)

I'm not one to try to make dead things more dead so I have a bit of a diversion. :) I have the 4-ply Forge silicone TIK pipe. This pipe fits very snug - it was a 7 minute fight to get the damn thing on even after soaking in 98C water. Trying to fit it over the "hat" seal is impossible as the Forge TIK pipe's diameter at that end is narrower than the "hat" seal. I have it jubilee (circular) clipped on to the inlet. Is this sufficient? Kane helped Forge design it so I would think this is more than sufficient. :)

Should be fine. Check it after a couple hundred kms and retighten if necessary.What filter are you using? Any chance of a picture?Bil :senile:

Here are some pictures. :) My air filter is a K&N inside the stock airbox. My next project is to remove the airbox.

I don't have a catch tank fitted yet. The hose that the catch tank would fit to is just unattached (even though its attached in the picture, I quickly unattached it). I did cap off the part on the TIK pipe that it would attach to.

The following pictures are from when I fitted the Forge 4-ply TIK and intercooler hoses and Evilution-designed forge dump valve.

Top down of the top intercooler hose, airbox (on the left) and the TIK pip (under everything).

Posted Image

Close up of where the TIK attaches to the engine. The hose that I should attach the catch tank to is the first one from the left, correct? I cant remember which one it was I left unattached and I don't have the car right now. Its getting a new windshield!! :)

Posted Image

And here is the old TIK pipe in-situ

Posted Image

Evilution-designed Forge dump valve in-situ

Posted Image

And another of the dump valve

Posted Image

Edited by briand

Looks awesome, Brian!. Sure perks up the engine bay too!

The hose that I should attach the catch tank to is the first one from the left, correct?

Yep, that's the culprit. Is that a closed-loop BOV? Where does the relief tube end up?Those mods should give you a bit more get-up-and-go :thumbup: And a new windshield should make it go faster too ;)Bil :senile:

Thanks Bil. I think the blue hoses dod help make the engine bay look nicer. :) And you are correctl. It is a closed loop BOV. I'll post another pic of the hose lines later.

Edited by briand

Ok, not sure how well this will work but I have scanned in the installation instructions that come with the Forge BOV.

I have attached it to this post. I think that the instructions at Evilution are better though so I've linked to them since I followed those instructions. Evilution - Fitting a Dump Valve

post-6660-1265775147_thumb.jpg

Edited by briand

OK... the relief tube goes to the intake manifold, teed with the fuel pressure reg vacuum line.So VERY important IMHO to do the CCV redirect so as not to spit oil pretty much directly into the intake manifold!Nice job, Brian.B :sun:

That's not a recirculating BOV.The vaccum line (teed into the fuel pressure regulator line) is what actuates the BOV. Close the throttle, you get a vaccum on that line, which acts on one side of the piston while the other side of the piston is under pressure (from the I/C pipe) the differential overcomes the spring and moves the piston. Then air escapes past the piston edge and out the little holes you can see machined into the perimeter of the valve near the connection to the I/C pipe. It is venting to atmosphere in this case.A recirculating valve would have a second large pipe (equivalent in size the the I/C connection pipe), leading back to the turbo inlet.Generally, cars that are MAP-controlled can use BOVs that vent to atmosphere, whereas cars that have a MAF pre-turbo tend to need a recirculating valve otherwise you end up with poor fueling when the BOV opens, which can cause the engine to stall, belch flames, etc.If you want to see the valve in action, get someone to work the gas pedal in the car and watch (take video!) the valve. You'll see the piston move inside the valve and you'll see the machined ports get uncovered and air rush out.

Edited by booneylander

briand, I can not see the pictures of the BOV install....what engine is this being installed on?

Edited by MightyMouseTech

That's not a recirculating BOV....If you want to see the valve in action, get someone to work the gas pedal in the car and watch (take video!) the valve. You'll see the piston move inside the valve and you'll see the machined ports get uncovered and air rush out.

Thanks for the clarification! And for the video idea. I'll try to do that this weekend. I'm installing another forge bov on my other 450 this weekend so I'll just have to make taking video part of the install. :D

OK, that makes more sense LOLI thought he installed in on a CDI...would not work too well there... ha ha ha

Sorry for the confusion MMT. Huronlad is correct (especially since he saw the car at Outsmarting the Dragon 2009), it is a 2005 450 with the 699cc turbo petrol engine. Edited by briand

OK... the relief tube goes to the intake manifold, teed with the fuel pressure reg vacuum line.So VERY important IMHO to do the CCV redirect so as not to spit oil pretty much directly into the intake manifold!Nice job, Brian.B :sun:

Thanks Bil. I'll try to get even better photos of the install this weekend. :) Now if I can just find 4.0bar FPR from Audi....