Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caribou

Road tripping in the 451

11 posts in this topic

Hi smarties,I'm thinking of taking my 451 on the annual Ottawa > South Carolina roadtrip. 32 hours of round-trip fun! Have any of you been on big road trips? Anything to watch out for? Do you get sick of elbowing your passenger after 4 hours? :-)Bonus dilemma: If we're leaving Dec. 22, when should I put my winters on? Seems taking winters on a long, mostly non-wintery highway trip would be a waste of expensive tread and a fuel-efficiency bummer.

You'll be fine! The car loves long runs. Every summer I go on several long-distance trips to various parts of the states, for theme parks. I was in agony after 5 hours in a Ford Fusion last weekend; but with the fortwo it takes quite a while for my back to get sore... everyone's different, though. Have fun!-Iain

We just went to Brunswick Georgia. It was not our first long trip and it is fun to go in the smart. the one thing that made it a little more comfortable for me (bad back) is the little cushion I have at the lumbar. it is softer and cushions much better. plus I rolled up our car blanket into a little arm rest. Jake enjoyed that too.If it isn't too far out of your way you might want to try the tail of the dragon en route. search the thread we did the tail of the dragon. it's a beautiful drive.I think I would be tempted to put the snows on. we've been through the Tennessee hills at Christmas time it can get very icy. so check with the weather forcasts to see if it is an early winter. Plus plan on driving in the light of day.If you can take a spare tire and belts, extra light bulbs. just to be safe. not all areas have a smart dealer.but then again most mechanics just love to get their hands on our little beasties, but they do need the parts.Have funKaren

This summer I drove from Kitchener straight through to Dixie Georgia (Valdosta area) about 20 hours, just stops for fuel and food. The interstate is terribly boring, more so at night. I would suggest major secondary roads and second the recommendation for running through the Tail of the Dragon if it is not treacherous at that time of year. I am looking forward to hitting it again next year, will try to make a few timed runs to see how quickly a smart can make it through the 11 miles.To be on the safe side I would say run with your snow tires on, it should be cool enough not to cause much of an increased wear issue.

Edited by Huronlad

Drove from Oakville to Vancouver via NW ON this past summer. Around 4,000-5,000km. Plenty of space for passenger and cargo (had the front passenger seat all the way forward). The seats were extremely comfortable. I never had to shift around after an hour or two. I had two encounters with large potholes, one on each side of the car which can't be good for the car at highway speed but nothing went out of alignment. Wouldn't be hesitant to take it on a trip the next time around (probably not across the country again).

I have driven Welland - Los Angeles, Welland - Virginia/North Carolina, Welland - Connecticut, Welland - Florida, Welland - Washington D.C and Welland - Houston. All in all I love take the Smart car on long hauls because it's so cheap and fun

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one for the same topic.I'll be taking my 451 on its first medium-distance trip next weekend: Toronto - Montreal. So far my longest drives have been the half hour scoot to work, so I'm really looking forward to learning what it's like on those seats for a few hours. They're really comfortable for short hauls and from what I read here I expect the same for this drive. I prefer to drive at night when I go to Montreal, so I'm hoping for a cloudless sky so I can pull over somewhere and enjoy the stars for a few minutes with the top down (and a coat and hat on). :)

I just finished reading your thread. Sounds like it was great! I should start referring to my upcoming drive as a hop and a skip compared to yours. :)I never thought that finding premium gas would be a concern. I'll keep that in mind if I ever plan a longer road trip.