Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John K.

"obvious" tire install tips

4 posts in this topic

I just purchased new steel wheels from my Mercedes dealer and retured to my hometown to purchase some winter rubber for them. I found a local "tire shop" that sells and installs tires. Tires, that's it, that's all they do. I ordered the two different sizes and got them to install the tires to rims and then to car. After driving the freshly installed snow tires home I noticed that the front (155 mm) tires where on the rear of the car and the wider (175) where on the front. Something else struck me as odd, the 155s looked as if the sidewalls where stretched out and the 175s tread was bulging out at the sides. Well, the "tire shop" had mixed up BOTH the rims to the tires and the installation of the tires to the car. This mistake was not expected from a "tire shop." Upon my return to the shop I was recieved with no compensation and only the receptionist saying that they where sorry for what had happened. The installer said the tires where indeed difficult to install onto the rim and it might take some extra time to right the situation. I replied, "probably because the tires where going on the wrong rims." All I got was "we did not know" and alot of passing the blame. I never in my short life have I wanted to drop the f bomb as I did that day.Tips:Ensure that the installer knows that the smart has 2 size tires and rims. Also, they should note where each size tire comes from when the tire assembly is removed from the car. If the installer has questions about where the tire goes to check the drivers side door sill for placement and pressures. Oh, and check your tire pressure because it might be wrong (as mine was, 40 psi on all but my front right, which was 32)Avoid taking your car to Northland Tire on Hayes Road in Thompson MB for you tire needs... try Canadian Tire or Kal TireIf something is not going together right, stop, and take step back, to see if you are in error.

Greetings: It is funny little episodes like this that make the case for having dedicated wheels for the annual changeover. And for doing it yourself.As I've said before, the person mounting the tires is not usually the most experienced person in the shop. Obviously, their supervisor isn't too far up the chain either.Good thing you didn't get into an accident.Ian

Greetings: It is funny little episodes like this that make the case for having dedicated wheels for the annual changeover. And for doing it yourself.As I've said before, the person mounting the tires is not usually the most experienced person in the shop. Obviously, their supervisor isn't too far up the chain either.Good thing you didn't get into an accident.Ian

Unfortunately tire changers are the lowest rung on the auto service ladder. If you are breathing you can get a job as a tire tech......

One of the parts guys at my MB dealership used to be the "Tire Tech" there. He's a bright fellow, though: when he got promoted to parts, he went to foreclosure auctions and bought all sorts of tire-changing equipment at pennies on the dollar. He uses his contacts in the tire distribution business and does tire work as a sideline. As long as he doesn't do MBs, the dealership is cool with it. He has made some pretty good coin doing this -- he drives an Benz, paid-for. This season with the new Quebec winter tire law, he has made a killing. He's booked solid every evening and weekend. He does an average of four sets every evening, and did 10 sets on Saturday. Neighbour said he makes about $20 a tire, installed an balanced. You do the math! :D