Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deezle

Cowichan Cow Chase...Sunday Nov. 6th.

264 posts in this topic

Let's have a rally in the Cowichan Valley area on Saturday Nov. 5 or Sunday Nov. 6.

Perhaps someone or sometwo's who know the backroads well can help to plan a route.

Post your reply here if you think you can join in (everybody's welcome...yes, that means you) and state whether Sat or Sun works better.

Maybe there's an area around there where we can use our binoculars or camera's to look for marmots?? We could check into that with the marmot experts and possibly even turn this one into a fundraiser for the marmots (or do they hibernate?...I'd better take the marmot quiz again).

Suggestions??

Edit: another possibility (if we have enough cars) is a group photo in front of Duncan City Hall (illegally parked, of course) that we can leave in their mail slot with a 'thank-you' card.

Either the Sat or Sun is good for us, (we're retired) Mol lee , Ernie and Elaine. Let us know which cone is on.

Thanks

Elaine

Of course DH is working again that weekend but I will certainly be there! (I think! Barring any unforseen circumstances of course!) Sounds like fun! Either day is fine for me.

Well, we won't be spying on any marmots on our rally.

They actually snooze from September till April...can you believe it...I guess some form of energy conservation program. Probably something to do with greenhouse gas emissions...one tonne challenge run amuck. Even when they're not hibernating, they're only active above ground for a few hours in the early morning and late afternoon. The rest of the time they're in their burrows doing who knows what...no, not that...remember they're almost extinct. I figure these furballs are just couch potatoes. But...maybe if we each donated ten dollars at one of our rallys, they could be given some supplies to take up a new hobby. Or a computer so they could come online and contribute to meaningful discussions. If we can get ten cars out to our next rally, at ten bucks a car, that's uh, let me see, a whack of money to donate from our club. What do you think?? Of course, they'd have to wake the creatures up to present them with the cheque(or craft supplies). :clapping:

You can read more about our namesakes here:

http://www.marmots.org/lifecycle.htm

COUNT US IN!

Yipeeeeee another excuse to drive! :drive:

Either day is fine with us!

WOW! WE CANNOT WAIT!

:cheer2::ballons:

So if I was going to come over from Vancouver would I be better off going to Nanaimo or Victoria? :blink:

Well that depends.

Do you want to take the ferry from Vancouver and come to Victoria and then do the drive with us, up to Cowichan.

Or go to Nanaimo and drive down seeing more of the island.

Also depends on how much time you have. :drive:

We would love to see that new car Ruby Red!

We would love to see that new car Ruby Red!

Now that I think of it I have friends in Victoria I really should visit so I guess going to Victoria makes the most sense. I used to have family up in Lake Cowichan, but that was over 25 years ago. It will be fun seeing if things have changed much...

Once the details have been finalized let me know when and where to meet up! :bustamove:

Great response, everybody!

Maybe we can surpass our old record of 16 cars. Hey...marmots might hibernate, but smart marmots rally all year round.

I'm confident that Mike and Sandy will want to join in, so we've already got:

Molly

KAG

For2

Relax

Mike T

deezle

So far nobody seems to care much if we hold it on Saturday or Sunday, so let's wait a while to decide.

Likewise, we don't know where we're going yet, but, hey,...these are all minor details.

Does anyone else care about the marmot fund donation, or the Duncan photo/thankyou card...or should we just let those things slide for a while?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Anyone else who thinks they can join in, please sign on...especially if only Saturday or Sunday works for you. :clapping:

Hello, deezle and assorted Marmots

Here is a suggestion for a Cowichan Rally.

Meet at Costco 10.30, then via Highway 1 and 18 to Lake Cowichan for brunch at the River Inn (glasslady will make reservations) with up island marmots meeting us there at 12 noon. After brunch we take the old road to Youbou, then Lake Cowichan Road to near Duncan (with a side trip to Skutz Falls?) onto Herd Road, then the enchanting Richards Trail (where the historic encounter between Sir Brian W. Richards and the Sherrif of Nothingham didn't take place). To Chemainus (a rest stop there) backroads to Crofton, Maple Bay, Clemclemalits village (to Butter Church anyone?) (Photo ops), picturesque Cowichan Bay, Mill Bay.

Time being back to standard, it will be dark around 5.30-6pm. We may part with the pleasant company of up island marmots and return south.

Weather is a factor, if there should be a heavy rain forecast, we should cancel and postpone this adventure to the following sunday or some other suitable time.

Any comments and input please.

The date didn't show up in the subject line, it should have said Sunday November 6

If you make it for Sunday, then we should be able to make it. KAG and I have an engagement for the Saturday! We will have to make arrangements for the kids, so for now I guess maybe is our answer!

Great stuff people!

Thanks for putting together an agenda and route plan sam! It sounds perfect to me...if anyone else wants to add a modification to that, by all means say so.

Great to have sam and glasslady, and I M SMRTR and I M SMRT and Relax and KAG going vast distances to join the festivities!

So to update the list, we now have:

Molly

KAG

For2

Relax

Mike T

deezle

sam and glasslady

I M SMRTR and I M SMRT

Weather is a factor, if there should be a heavy rain forecast, we should cancel and postpone this adventure to the following sunday or some other suitable time.

I agree that heavy rain would make this trip not near as fun....

Hi, Chris and Cate, and welcome to the Marmots. We would love to have you both on our rallies. Our next one will hopefully be on the 6th of November, just keep watching this forum. It alsways takes us a while to get things organized, and you can always read us here

Hi, Brian, you've just been appointed the honorary CruiseMaster. It sure looks like a nice turnout for the Cow Chase. And it seems from reading the posts that Sunday is the better day to do it. Even our newest member poodleboy is ready to go. Maybe you might want to set a firm date, so everybody can make arrangements. Once everything is firm I will gladly make reservations at the River Inn (BTW great pastries there)

Looking forward to it!

Sunday Nov. 6 it is, unless heavy rain postpones it to the following Sunday.

Gerhard and Daisy will be contacted; the topic heading date will be adjusted.

I'm adding your name to the list poodleboy (Chris and Cate).

Molly

KAG

For2

Relax

Mike T

deezle

sam and glasslady

I M SMRTR and I M SMRT

poodleboy

Molly

KAG

For2

Relax

Mike T

deezle

sam and glasslady

I M SMRTR and I M SMRT

poodleboy

Gerhart & Daisy (tentative)

They are traveling to California in their Smart car. Being one of the lucky retired couples, they can take their time and do not have a return date.

:drama:

Just spoke to Connie and she has plans of coming to the trip. She will be returning from holidaying in Egypt the day before.

Elaine