Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Onyx11

Thought someone hit Onyx in a parking lot

7 posts in this topic

Stopped a strip mall in my travels this evening to pick up a drink.Park in front of bank / ATM as only available spot when I arrive.Walking back from store and I see a car with its back end within inches (touching???) my back end and the driver is partially hanging out his door looking back at my car. :unsure::(:angry: Heart skips a beat and I tense. :D Get closer and see he is very close (less than 8 inches) but he is looking back for his wife coming out from ATM. Has 3 under 10 year old kids in back seat. He smiles -- says is that your car? I say YesHe says this is great now there are 2 stalls in front of the bank. Wife is on way out, smiles sheepishly, gets in and they drive off. I don't respond.Group of guys heading to bar next door say "Hey that's double parking" as I am climbing into my driver's seat. I laugh. And carry on.Thought tragedy ends up a false alarm.

Yeah, that happens to me as well. I don't mind as long as they are still around when I want to leave!I've started parking more to the rear of spots though. I find people with big vans, SUVs etc, ten to park carelessly in the spots next to me otherwise. They come in at too sharp an angle and their vehicle pinches off the exit route out of my spot. If I park right at the end it forces them to park properly.Safeway's parking lot is really bad for this for some reason.

Yeah, that happens to me as well. I don't mind as long as they are still around when I want to leave!I've started parking more to the rear of spots though. I find people with big vans, SUVs etc, ten to park carelessly in the spots next to me otherwise. They come in at too sharp an angle and their vehicle pinches off the exit route out of my spot. If I park right at the end it forces them to park properly.Safeway's parking lot is really bad for this for some reason.

Yes, I have the same experience and practice the same prevention. I learned early on that I must park my tail level with the other tails or I will be badly crowded by careless drivers. I guess they use the tail of the car next to them to guage the stall dimension, so when the car next is too short, they come too sharp and wind up crooked and stupid and door-bashingly close. Never had anyone use the same stall like that though. Whew, that'd activate a tickle of road rage.

Irony: I keep a camera on my car while at work, and I just fired it up. Guess what?I parked at the end of a row where there is only one parking spot and now some numbskull is parked behind me. In my spot.

Nope. I never park up tight to the front. In fact, a park with the rear bumper even with the very end of the marked lines. Saves all those issues mentioned above, and I can see my car when I search down the row when I forgot where I parked!:sun:

I always park back in the stall as well, too worried that someone will think the stall empty and swing in too quick to see the car and I've had the experience of people parking wonky when I park further in the stall and block my exit.I've never had someone park behind me, I wouldn't be too please about that.

We have 21,000 miles on our NA451, and during that time we have learned a number of parking tricks. Thought we'd pass them along here.1. Align your back bumper with the car parked next to you, even when It's a long truck. If you pull up in the slot people will park shopping carts behind you, or use the space to back up into, or as above, park behind you. 2. If you parallel park, park dead in the middle of the space. 3. In a pinch you can safely park at the closed end of shopping cart corrals. A space way too short for most cars. :D A2Jack.