Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steveyfrac

Biodiesel General Discussion

94 posts in this topic

Now that this thread is alive again... My bad experience with B40 was NOT cold related as speculated. It happened in the spring, concurrent with the supplier switch from winter to summer blend. I'm in Vancouver, it was a warm day, and the fault occurred about 5 minutes after filling. Fuel rail pressure low was the code. Engine shut down, not good. I had been on bio since 1500 km, B40 in the summer, B20 winter except when I was going out of town into the cold when I filled with B5. A few random tanks of Dino when I couldn't get to my regular pump. No recurrence since going off bio, 50k km ago. Cascadia product.Please note, I fully believe in the engine and pump life benefits of bio, and were I driving something less prone to tummy aches (almost any other diesel?) I would still be using it. But my particular smart didn't like the taste.

Yeah, biodiesel is dead :banghead:

Hi Bill! Thanks for your inquiry…Here's the thing…right now the cost of Bio has become quite cost prohibitive. It doesn't surprise me that smaller dealers have phased it out. When it was introduced it qualified for many tax breaks, making the base buying price very affordable. However over the past 4 years the tax breaks have been revoked, and it now has the same tax structure as regular diesel. So, here we have a great product that starts off as expensive as regular diesel, but you now have to pay for blending, shipping, and storage on top of the base price.We are doing everything we can to find suppliers that can work with us to get an affordable product in. We, like you, love the product and have been running our fleet of trucks on it as well.Right now we're at a B5. And in the near future we don't see that increasing. As you may imagine, it's difficult to sell a product to commercial accounts that will cost them more for an already expensive overhead item.I hope to have better news for you in the future! [barry Beecroft Fuel Distributors Ltd. Penticton, BC]

So it looks as if my only solution is backyard blends (not prepared to go that way yet) - or Milligan's concentrate. Hmm... may have to fire up the Milli's account again.Bil :senile:

Dear Bil. Why "fire up the milligan's account" won't the LubeCorp Additives do the same thing? What is your current recipe for fuel ? I am using Power Service Diesel Kleen in summer and their winter stiff when near or below freezing. The engine runs slightly smoother with it than without.

Dear Bil. Why "fire up the milligan's account" won't the LubeCorp Additives do the same thing? What is your current recipe for fuel ? I am using Power Service Diesel Kleen in summer and their winter stiff when near or below freezing. The engine runs slightly smoother with it than without.

LubeCorp products improve combustion and offer added lubricity, but Milligan's is - first of all - a 100% organic concentrate, adds even better lubricity, and score very high in M-ROCLE wear tests. Recommended mix rate is 1/2 that of e.g. Cetane Booster.My personal recipe is Husky DieselMax plus 40ml Cetane Booster and 40ml Milligan's. Milligan's gives benefits equal to B-30, so they claim. My engine certainly runs smoother, quieter, and with less smoke with Milligan's. The Cetane Booster makes for more complete combustion = more power.Bil :senile:

I'm switching to B50 for the next tank full... :P

Where from???

I envy you all having access to higher blends of bio. In the UK ALL diesel sold on the forecourt is 5% bio, and Morisson's (supermarket) did sell a B30 blend, but nowhere near me. However, Gordon Brown (prime minister) recently scrapped the subsidy on biofuels, so B30 is no longer available.

I've looked into making my own bio, but this is still very much a work in progress. It can be home-brewed to high standards quite easily.

I have some reports of Mercedes making it's own blend of biodiesel that is/was called Sun Diesel, but I've never seen it commercially available. I can't recall where I found the information, but it states:

"As an alternative, the smart fortwo cdi can also be powered by innovative SunDiesel® synthetic fuel, without the need for modifications to the engine. Mercedes-Benz introduced this second generation of bio-fuels as early as 2003. In contrast to conventional bio-diesel, which is manufactured using oil crops, SunDiesel® is created from a variety of organic materials – including wood and plant waste and other agricultural waste material. Therefore, this fuel does not present a threat to food crops."

Useful links:

http://tinyurl.com/y2bfwxz

North Van may be the last refuge other than the bio coop in Vancouver.Gone is the Deming WA pump now too.....

Do you know whether UP in North van has B100? It might be worth my while to borrow a pickup and grab a drum of B100, depending on price. I really miss the quiet smoothness of B40+B :sun:

Bil,I tried to reply to you this morning but the site was behaving strangely?Anyway, no the North Van site only has card lock pumps with B5, B20, and B50 blends.However if you message or call Duane I've found him to be very responsive.His contact info is: Duane A. SearleE-mail Address(es): Duane.Searle@parkland.ca(604) 571-4518Rick

Summers back.My first B100 fill today. Earlier than any other year. Lets hope theres no cold snap coming! Lol

B50 landed Kelowna price = $1.63 per litre!

The cost of getting this product from the lower mainland to you I believe rules it not worth while. Todays price would be $ 81.9 cents plus 35 cents per litre freight cost, 9 cents per litre GVRD Tax plus 19 cents for provincial and federal tax, and 3.84 cents per litre for carbon tax your todays landed price would be$ 148.74 excluding GST for B50 in the drum.X 208 = $ 309.37 plus $ 30 .00 drum deposit.

Last year B40 was conveniently available at the local pump @ $0.98 :banghead:B :sun:

Sorry to hear that Bil.The next time you're down hereI can fill you up with B50...At least you'd have a quiet smooth ride home!!!

Edited by lebikerboy

Thanks Rick :thumbup:From now on, anytime I'm heading down that way for some other reason, I'll be sure to throw a bunch of fuel cans in the boot. I think I have five or six 10l plastic containers under the trailer... might also grab a couple of bigger ones when they're on sale cheap.B :senile:

Posted (edited) · Report post

B100 available... and affordable!

We are in regular production on B100. In fact, we shall be producing the B100 by distillation method effective August of this year.

You are welcome to drop by our plant with at least two days pre-notice in order to fill up the B100 at our place. Any amount is OK.

Currently we are selling to individual at $0.90 per litre no tax.

City-Farm Biofuel Ltd.

668 Derwent Way

Annacis Island, Delta, BC

Canada V3M 5P8

Telephone: 604-777-1531

I'm thinking to grab a couple hundred litres. I'd love to be back on the good stuff again.. my wee smartie likes it so much!

Bil :drive:

Edited by bilgladstone

Nice transfer tank!

Posted Image

53L. / 14 gal. Portable Gas Caddy on wheels. Fill-ups just got a whole lot easier with Scepter's new Flo n'go Fuel Transfer product line. They are a clean alternative that can eliminate overfills that damage our environment.

And... will fit nicely in the boot (lying down)!

Bil :sun:

Nice transfer tank!

Posted Image

And... will fit nicely in the boot (lying down)!

Bil - Interesting find, but at $150 a pop it is a rather expensive Jerry Can.

Weighing 120 pounds it could be a rather hefty grunt to remove it from the back of the smart.

Also what I see is a gravity discharge hose. What I don't see is a pump to transfer the fuel into the car fuel tank.

What am I missing in this scenario?

Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure how the pump works, Fred :dunno: but one's supposed to be included in the kit.

The patented siphon handle allows you to eliminate spillage and overfills by stopping and restarting the flow of gas. The DuraMax can stand vertically or lay horizontally when refueling gas-powered engines. It has a flow rate of two gallons per minute in siphon mode. Two shut-off valves, at both the tank and hose connector, make it safe and easy to disconnect the Flo n' go siphon handle for refilling and transportation. The DuraMax includes a 14 gallon (53 L) fuel container, the patented Flo n' go Maxflo siphon/pump and a 10 ft (3 metre) hose.

If I can slide it (with cardboard underneath) onto the tailgate to fill up at the pump, and same at home to siphon it down, there's no heavy lifting involved. It's also supposed to be well-sealed and spill-proof.

Regards,

I believe the pump is in the handle but it might take a lot of pumping and time to do 20 litres. I think it was intended for lawnmowers.