Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Only one set brand new Hankook Icebears left!

15 posts in this topic

Last remaining set of these superior snowies. Available for pickup in Kelowna, BC or will ship (your expense). From my buddy DOUG at Quality Tires 250.861.3617

2x 175/55/r15 @ each $139.70

2x 145/65/r15 @ each $109.70

All four, taxes etc. in, $581.06 total price quoted to me this afternoon. Shipping extra.

Call Doug direct to arrange pickup or shipping. Remember he is in Pacific Time Zone! Please don't ask me - deal direct with Doug Baerg. Quality Tires was Big-O Tires Kelowna. More than 40 years experience in the tire biz.

Hope this helps a late-season smartie.

Bil :sun:

I know you said not to ask you - but are these the correct tires for a 2008 gas smart?Vancouver is expecting snow tomorrow :wacko: Thankyou! Diana

I know you said not to ask you - but are these the correct tires for a 2008 gas smart?Vancouver is expecting snow tomorrow :wacko: Thankyou! Diana

Your 2008 gasser comes with 155/60 R 15 on front. :sorry:

They would probably work on the new smart but 155s might be better.

Well thanks people for sharing the knowledge! I think I'll give you a call tomorrow Mr Tiger for a quote! I haven't heard great things about the Smart on snow, but surely BC coastal snow would be better managed with the tires than with stock? Even if for decreased braking distance alone! Much thx Diana

Winter tires are better than regular all seasons or summer tires in any snow....but the slushy snow the coast gets is awful even with the best tires!

Eddy,

Second winter on Vred's. Still very good traction except on really icy conditions. There is a stretch of highway I drive most days that has been plowed but no traction aids whatsoever - no grit or sand or salt mix - so each lane is like two tracks of glare ice.

I'm OK driving the lanes off-centre with my wheels on the "humps" between the icy tracks, but have to slow WAY down to keep the steering from wandering if in the tracks where everybody else drives. I thought it was maybe just me and the Vred's but a friend drives this same road in a Miata with studded snowies and has exactly same problem, so not much better can be done than studs!

But just for a little added steering safety (the rear seems not to complain) I'll have the fronts siped (wikipedia lookup) tomorrow and see if that helps.

Bil :sun:

You're going to cut the tires?!?!

Yep - the fronts anyway. The tire shop has a machine that does it. They only charge about $20 per tire. It slices the tread blocks transversely, at most only down to the wear bar. The effect is to make the tread more flexible and grippy.This technique is very common in the trucking business, and I had it done once on an old Chevy Impala to good effect.B :sun:

Interesting idea. Aside from the compound difference, sipes are what distinguish snows from "three season" tires.Does this place you know just simply razor cut, or do they actually take out a sliver of rubber to leave the narrow groove sipes seen in the OEM design?

Interesting idea. Aside from the compound difference, sipes are what distinguish snows from "three season" tires.Does this place you know just simply razor cut, or do they actually take out a sliver of rubber to leave the narrow groove sipes seen in the OEM design?

The after-market siping machine just does a "razor cut" with a really cool, heavy-duty helical cutting bit. It's the only kind of machine I've ever seen :dunno: