Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartlover4evr

Door Ajar Light

64 posts in this topic

Okay, so yesterday my ESP and ABS light were staying on, yadda yadda yadda, but I called the dealer and it's a simple fix. Done. New problem! I just dropped my friend home and my water seperator light came on, as well as some other nifty lights on the centre console. Came home, parked the car, and left it (even though the light for the temp/trip/odometer would not turn off after I locked the doors). I just took it out again, and now the water seperator light is off, but my door ajar light is still slightly dim, as if it's on. When I open the door though, it gets brighter, so it's obviously off, yet on........see what I mean?Any comments?

Lots of compost?No but seriously, you have to find it first. Bad ground: A wire out of place somewhere, most likely in relation to the light, but possibly in relation to one of the door sensors. The mechanic would have to start tracing voltages here and there till he located the misconnected wire. You up to it?

Nope! Ha ha! I'll just have to get someone to fix it for me. It's been doing other strange things too. Now my doors won't lock (all the time), it just makes that lock unlock sound you get when you try to lock the doors while one is open. Also, somethime when I do lock the doors, the orange trip light wont go out, as well as my seat belt light! WHAT THE HELL!!!!!

I would put a modest sum of money on this scenario:1. your car did not have the "relocate E-Box" TSB (technical service bulletin) performed on it;2. water is in your battery box;3. water has entered your E-Box and it's ruined.Get into the dealer if the car is under warranty. Or not, and then ask them whether the TSB was done.

Welcome to CsC! Mike's suggestion makes sense; the ebox is a module under the passenger floor. They have been known to get wet and act up. I had been about to say just find and check the door switches (for clean contacts etc.)

The E-Box controls the lights, water in fuel light, door ajar light, seatbelt light and a couple of other things, and if they get wet lots of fun things happen!

Well lots of fun things happened last night! I put it inside last night, and waddya know, everything is okay this morning. The ABS and ESP light still occasionally come on but they are sending a Brake Switch ASAP, as I also have no brake lights.Still love my Smart, just not living so damn far away from a dealer!

Check the battery box yourself - see if it's wet inside and see if there is a silver electronic box in with the battery.

Let's say it is wet (or frozen, it been minus 15 here lately), does that mean it's ruined, or does it mean that I should just wait it out for it to dry, thaw, etc.

You could try that, especially if the car is out of warranty.

Let's say it is wet (or frozen, it been minus 15 here lately), does that mean it's ruined, or does it mean that I should just wait it out for it to dry, thaw, etc.

Try a hair dryer or a small electric heater in the car with the carpet up and the batt box open. Cross all bodily extremities :goodluck:B :sun:

I've tried everything, including the hair dryer (thanks :) ), but still no luck. The door ajar is sporatic, but very annoying. I guess I am just going to have to wait until Monday to get it fixed.

So was it damp in the battery box, and was the silver E-box in there still?

It was damp in the battery box, and I am guessing that the silver box was still there. It it closest to the passenger seat, tucked below the battery? If that's where it is located then yes it was. The door light is very bizzare. It stays off when the car has been sitting for a while. Then, when i drive the car, it will go about 15km before it start to light up, getting brighter and brighter until finally the dome light will come on and I then can't lock the doors after I park.WEIRD!!!!

That'll be the E-box all right, so tell the dealer you want the E-box TSB done, plus the battery box drain grommet. As for the E-box itself, it may be ruined, time will tell.

Would the E-Box TSB be something that the dealer would have to do, or is it something that a garage would be able to do as well? Because I am 700km away from a dealer. :S. This is just my luck!

Phone the dealer and ask if they'd send the parts + TSB info to a local shop....

I just had this happen to me. 2 trips to the dealer and they got it fixed. The wound up fixing almost everything electrical. Replaced the wiring harness and god knows what else. Now if I can find a good body shop in Vancouver I'll be happy. Ugh!!

also just happened to me. I've been to the dealership at least 6 times in the past month or two (could be more, Ive lost track). its getting a little ridiculous. they all seem to recognize me when I walk in now and I'm starting to feel like its my second home. for me this began after my car wouldn't start due to the extreme cold. I had it boosted a few times so the passenger floor mat was up and battery exposed a few times, then the battery was replaced. I see how it easily could have gotten wet. the door ajar light came on for about 5 minutes, then went away on its own last friday. last night it came on again but would not go off, meaning I couldnt lock it. then while driving it to the dealership the water separator light came on too. star has the car now. I took it in last night after service hours because I dont have a garage so could not leave it unlocked overnight in the wide open. I hope they actually check these seemingly common causes (this e-box being wet thing, wiring, etc) rather than doing a quick fix... from what I hear the smart tech at star is a little brighter than the one at ogilvie. last time he was pretty nice and seemed to be quite knowledgeable and also told me he was a csc member. 8-)

they called, its fixed. water in the battery box thing. who needs mechanics...

My ebox was relocated & a drain/grommet installed this past november, & as luck would have it my door ajar light is glowing dimly, just noticed it last night.Any idea where it might be now?(the ebox)I'd like to try and dry it out,may be coincidental but I just installed a new battery. Didn't notice any silver box in the well, just something that looked like a Molex plug assembly.