Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartlover4evr

Door Ajar Light

64 posts in this topic

So 10 is about right then. You are an outlier!

10 is close. Well over is not. 11.1 is is 14% above fuelly's #'s. I do better than average, yes.

OK well you have to admit that the figure I was using when saying "well over 10" means I was not exaggerating, in fact I rounded down to below 11! :P

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say, yes; well over can include less than 10% over.

So last night I changed the filter. I took out the sensor and cleaned it up. Sprayed the plug with CC and applied dielectric grease. I also removed the door panel and cleaned up the door latch and such. I made sure the filter was well purged before starting and went for a drive. Initially there was no difference.

After starting the car a couple times everything was OK. Drives door was working properly, fuel sep light was off. Door ajar light was doing what it was supposed to. Thought I was good. Then tonight the fuel sep light is back on and the door ajar light stays on dimly again. :kill:

My experience in the past is that replacing parts without thorough diagnosis usually ends up with me feeding my car money. But do I replace the sensor? Could box E-boxes I tried be bad? Will the STAR tell me a story? Any advice would be appreciated.

Crap!

Well maybe there is some wiring issue, although it is still possible but maybe not probable that your two E-boxes are bad. Did you have a really close look at the condition of the wiring connector (harness side)?

I D/C the battery and had a look at the connector in the bottom of the battery well. It was crunched a little from the movement of the battery. I gave it a wiggle back into shape and hooked the battery back up. I also removed the ebox, cleaned both ends with contact cleaner, applied grease and put back together. Started the car and the fuel sep light was out. When I'm able I'll have to solder the wires together and remove the plug entirely. Drivers door still being wonky. But one step at a time. Glad to have this part figured out. Thanks!

The trunk is most definitely closed.

It seems to come and go. The door latch seemed to be working, but now today it isn't again. When I turn the car off, the seatbelt and fuel separator light stay on, and the door ajar light stays on dimly. Its very confusing.

I had a similar problem with the door ajar light staying on and the battery would eventually drain over night.

I fixed it by cleaning the little harness connector inside the battery box. It is up close to the front of the battery. You need to remove the battery to access it. The pins corrode and do not conduct. I cut off the harness and soldered the connections. No problem now.

1 person likes this

Last night I finally got the chance to cut the plug out of the battery well and solder the wires. You can see from the pic the plug was in bad shape. The door problems instantly went away. The fuel separator light went out and stayed out as well.

Also did both under seat air bag plugs. Cut them out and soldered wires back together.

post-14411-0-49603100-1456552676_thumb.jpg

post-14411-0-85140000-1456552685_thumb.jpg

post-14411-0-69673400-1456552693_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

That seems to be a common problem because of the battery fumes (although there is a discharge hose that should remove the sulfuric fumes)

does cause corrosion.

I find oil spraying all of your exterior electrical connections to reduce future problems.

I also found that the light bulbs rated for this vehicle seem to run very hot. Especially in the summer time.

I had an electrical problem with my rear tail lights. Only one signal worked and one brake light on the opposite.

Strange diagnosis. No power to one of the bulbs. Thought it was a wiring issue

Guess what it was?

One of the socket holders that held the 1157 bulb (brake and signal) melted inside the socket.

It sunk away from the contacts not allowing it to make contact with the bulb.

After a little persuasion I realigned it back and problem solved!!

Who would have guessed!!

1 person likes this

thanks for all the info, I removed the E Box and sprayed it with CC and found the wiring harness in front of the battery, sprayed it and now all the warning lights are working correctly and the door locks are working. Thanks for all the info. New to Smat cars and this forum