Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartvancouver

I'm getting a one wrench symbol when I start up?

23 posts in this topic

I just started to get a one wrench symbol to the left tonight and a minus 1 at the top and after the car has been running for approx. 30 seconds they go away and it shows my trip milage again. :o I checked the manual and I think this is for service? But the 451 does not require service until 15000 kms or 2 years. What the heck is this? Has anyone else had this?

I think the service interval is one year or 15,000, whichever comes first. Get it booked in, you are one day overdue!

I think the service interval is one year or 15,000, whichever comes first. Get it booked in, you are one day overdue!

Even if one year I would not be due until the end of March? Would I not get a warning? I read in another thread someone (lebikerboy?) saying he got 1700kms and then 30 days warning. I just got the symbol tonight for the first time with a -1. Perhaps they programed it wrong?

I will call MB tomorrow and get it checked anyway. Thanks,

Edited by smartvancouver

I understand that the service interval calculator factors such things as driving habits, short vs long trips, time between recent services, elapsed days, etc. - maybe even hours run at x engine temperature? - into its advanced algorithm.

Not sure that it's as simple as X days or X kilometers, whichever comes first... :dunno:

HiCheck the build date. It could be one year since it was built. I think you are right to check with MB about this but if the oil has been in the car for one year whether used or not probably a good thing to change it.Roy

I got the same thing and was told by MB that it was calculating 1 year from the build date, and it should have re-set when I bought the car. They told me there was no way to re-set it now until they actually did a service ? One year is comming up in a month or two and although I only have 7000K I will have it serviced soon. It is my second Smart (daily one is a 450) and only used as a summer cabrio on the w/e.

So, my car sat at the dealer from February until July, when I bought it. That would mean it was built in January or earlier. Watch me start seeing a wrench in two weeks.

Assuming the dealer didn't reset it during PDI.

Hi SmartVan!Same thing happened to me, just under 7000 km, bought the car in April. Took a few days to speak to someone in service and they assured me the wrench was a service reminder coming up one year after the build date. So I'm delaying it, maybe till 10 000 km - can't wait till 15,000 km as the wrench is annoying ! After I hung up the phone I went to my car and the left low beam bulb had blown :(

Hi SmartVan!Same thing happened to me, just under 7000 km, bought the car in April. Took a few days to speak to someone in service and they assured me the wrench was a service reminder coming up one year after the build date. So I'm delaying it, maybe till 10 000 km - can't wait till 15,000 km as the wrench is annoying ! After I hung up the phone I went to my car and the left low beam bulb had blown :(

Make sure they note this down in your MB electronic service record for warranty purposes!

I got the same thing and was told by MB that it was calculating 1 year from the build date, and it should have re-set when I bought the car. They told me there was no way to re-set it now until they actually did a service ? One year is comming up in a month or two and although I only have 7000K I will have it serviced soon. It is my second Smart (daily one is a 450) and only used as a summer cabrio on the w/e.

You can reset it any time you want. It only exists for you to know when to have service performed. Dealers are using it for the wrong reasons - to intimidate owners to take the car back to the dealership, and to use it as a possible warranty refusal excuse. It's not intended for either of those uses. As far as warranty is concerned, if a part fails due to faulty material or workmanship it must be replaced under warranty during the warranty period. Under some circumstances, if lack of or incorrect maintenance causes a fault then warranty can be refused for the parts that are affected by that lack of maintenance.To test the ethics of my dealership, and even though I knew how to reset the service indicator, I asked them how to do it. They refused to tell me stating that Mercedes Benz does not let them divulge that to customers. That is pure B.S. You can have service work done by anyone, including yourself. It is wise to follow the maintenance schedule though.The owner of a vehicle has the right to all information regarding servicing of the vehicle. If you lease a vehicle then that does not apply since you do not own it. Dealerships are making the incorrect assumption that they alone can determine what is to be done with vehicles they do not own. They are mandated by the manufacturer to sell and service the vehicles only, not to keep information from owners or to tell owners what they must do or not do.

To test the ethics of my dealership, and even though I knew how to reset the service indicator, I asked them how to do it. They refused to tell me stating that Mercedes Benz does not let them divulge that to customers. That is pure B.S.

:dunno: Don't be so quick to judge on this subject; they could well be under contractual obligation not to divulge proprietary details like the reset procedure. Same as they are not permitted to release the Workplace Information System (despite its being the ONLY service manual available for your car!) to the public. Same as US smart centres are not permitted to offer service and support to pre-451 release smarts in America.That being said, this is one of the great things about a grass-roots, independent forum like Club smart Car; with few exceptions, you can find what you need in here.Bil :sun:

The question then, becomes "how do I reset the maintenance display?" I have a 451, and at 10K, it started to display the wrench. I is now showing "-100" because I am 100 miles over, and it is increasing as I drive. There were instructions to reset it in my manual, but they are not working.

Assuming the dealer didn't reset it during PDI.

The PDI may have been done when the car arrived at the dealer, not just before delivery. At all the dealers I have worked at, this is how it is done.Don't be so fast to blame the tech! :D

But doesn't PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection? I would assume that means that the car is inspected prior to the purchaser taking possession of the car. If the car is on the lot for an appreciable amount of time (and is test driven), the PDI should not be occurring when the car is delivered to the dealership. This seems like the dealership covering their own a$$ and not covering the customers...The MB dealers should REALLY start respecting the smart considering how many they sell... this piss-poor attitude that many of the dealerships exhibit is pretty ridiculous... but I was getting a WORSE attitude from most of the local BIG3 dealerships... I would imagine that attitude has changed now.

Edited by Overkll

The question then, becomes "how do I reset the maintenance display?" I have a 451, and at 10K, it started to display the wrench. I is now showing "-100" because I am 100 miles over, and it is increasing as I drive. There were instructions to reset it in my manual, but they are not working.

We turn again to our compadre Kane, in his indispensable Evilution online catalog: http://evilution.co.uk/index.php?page=modp...p;men=servicingBil :sun:

How do you turn off the Mainenance Service Wrench? I have tried this Link and neither method works.

http://evilution.co.uk/index.php?page=modp...p;men=servicing

The Link talks about timing but I have tried everything. Exactly 10 sec. Within 10 sec. Within 4 sec. Exactly 4 sec. Within 10 sec. and exactly 4 sec. etc. I have tried the forementioned with my foot on the brake, off the brake, in reverse, in first gear, emergency brake on and off.

Is there are third method? I don't want to go to the Dealer for this because he probably won't fix it anyway without changing the oil on the thing.

The car is an early 451 (built in the Summer of 2007) if that makes a difference.

Edited by Shydog

Need to check. Was told once that was press the button behind the speedometer and the ignition key, but nothing about the peddle.

You need an "a" service. Did your car not come with a manual? If so, RTFM. Two wrenches means "B" service.Ian

Need to check. Was told once that was press the button behind the speedometer and the ignition key, but nothing about the peddle.

Here, turn key on (position 1), double press the cluster button so that the spanner icon came out, turn key off (position 0), you should still see the same display before turning key to position 0. Now press the cluster button again hold on to it (before you hear a switch click sound in the back ground) turn the key to position 1 and wait. it should reset. But as ianjay says, 1 spanner, you really need service A, cause if you do this reset, it will show two spanner, then your next service, the dealer will perform service B!Here, we do regular service, some at 5,000km to 10,000km. I'm doing at 7,500km. It's better than 15,000km.

For me, the problem is solved as I took it in for it's A check-up at 6500 k so no wrench showing up Ha!.I am taking back in this Wed. for the gasket (washer?) to be replaced on the rear wiper as it had an occas. leak into the trunk and I had tracked it down to that area and sure enough they found the gasket was slightly bent and needed to order a new one. All in all I was very well looked after at MB North Van! :D

For me, the problem is solved as I took it in for it's A check-up at 6500 k so no wrench showing up Ha!.I am taking back in this Wed. for the gasket (washer?) to be replaced on the rear wiper as it had an occas. leak into the trunk and I had tracked it down to that area and sure enough they found the gasket was slightly bent and needed to order a new one. All in all I was very well looked after at MB North Van! :D

This water leak was common with me too. Will need the gasket check.