Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smartspirit

Tool kit for smart

9 posts in this topic

I have a lot of tools in my car, but I want to organize. Anyone have a tool kit that velcro behind the seat that houses all the tools for maintenance work. 22 mm socket, star bit tools for the panels, screw driver, etc?

What's the 22 mm socket for?I have a wrench for the wheel bolts (15 mm deep with breaker bar, fits in underseat drawer), Torx multi tool, same, screwdrivers, same, jack, inside the compact spare wheel. If you don't already have an underseat drawer, think about getting one. The OEM factory ones like mine lock, but even a non-lockable one would be useful.

22 mm socket for the oil filter housing. I thought about the drawer, but it is a bit pricey for me right now. Might be an addition when I have the extra money just lying around.

You're right Ed, they are a little pricey.I wonder if you can get another first aid kit bag, like the one that comes velcro'ed to the back of the seat when you buy the car.That would work well, you could only put smaller tools in it.We have a "gay" little makeup bag, packed with some tools,. (I like to leave it under the seat out of sight.Steve

22 mm socket for the oil filter housing.

You will need a 27 mm socket for the 450 filter housing......

Oops! You are right. I just have it in the back of my car and know its a bit socket bit. Still, I like the idea of a first aid kit. Just need a set of torq screwdrivers sockets, screw driver, etc. I wouldn't mind being able to put in an oil filter, fuel filter, and a spare set of belts. Looking at a large container.

I use a large school organizer, the type that holds pencils, rulers, etc. A bit of Velcro tape on the bottom and I stick it under the front of the passenger seat.It holds all required sockets, ratchet handle, screwdrivers, spare parts (fuses, lights, pressure gauge) and leatherman-like tool.

I've a basic canvas "carpet bag" style tool bag from the hardware store for my emergency tools. Fits fine behind my seat. I don't take all my smart tools, just the things that can help in a crisis like a hammer, vice grips, flashlight, candle, some wire, some nylon pantyhose (don't wear 'em but I hear they'll do for belts in a pinch) and such. The candle is in case I get stranded in a winter storm. I also happen to carry an army MRE in the car, and a nice big fluffy blanket. I figure the more ready I am for disaster, the less likely it will occur.

I'm not carrying a lot of tools but the dozen or so that I do carry I have placed in one of those rolled up tool wraps (you can buy them at Sears for about $10) and it fits perfectly in the carved out section that is designed to hold the removable top bars in my cabrio and they don't rattle. They are very easy to get to, even if the back of my car is loaded. I figure if I take out my removable roof bars and need to store them in the tailgate, I can simply throw the tools somewhere else during that time period. Actually there is room to have several of those stored away in that area.Works for me..