Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bailey24

Protecting your Carpet in Winter

17 posts in this topic

My 2008 Passion has the winter mats from smart. The trouble is, unlike the ones in my other car, the smart ones have a very very short rim, so even the little water that comes off my shoes in winter runs off the edge and into the carpet. Has anyone else had this problem, and has anyone else had luck resolving it? I don't think the Canadian Tire Pantsavers will work, because of the shape of the floor. I've been tucking several layers of paper towels along the edge but they get soaked through very quickly.

Try to get the carpet as dry as possible, then get some Mac-Tac vinyl shelf liner -- the self-adhesive kind. Cut out a rough-sized square that'll fit the footwell right up to the door sills and and the side of the centre hump. You can cut it to fit with scissors before peeling the backing and sticking it to the carpet. Keep a sponge handy, then you can soak up the puddle under the mat and wring it out. :)

I drive in my sock feet. I put both rubber mats on the passenger side; when I get into the car, I untie my shoes outside the car, then swing my legs into the car, bash my boots together outside, and put them on the passenger side. I leave the heater on "Floor" only (I like being warm from the bottom up anyway), so that dries them out, and then the carpet stays relatively clean!I like Francesco's idea better, though!! The stock "winter" mats from smart are obviously not designed for Canadian winters. :)-Iain

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I don't travel alone so I can't opt for the sockless method but I'm trying something out with some crap from Canadian Tire. We'll see if it works and I'll let you know. :confused:

I bought my car used in april from Ontario (where they use more salt than in MB) and noticed the carpets were wet even into June. I planned on removing the seats and the carpet to dry it all out but I couldn't get the drivers seat out because i didn't have a hex socket that would fit with the drawer rails in the way. So i ended up just lifting the carpet up and out of the way with a bungee cord on a hot sunny day. I could not beleive the huge chunks of salt that I pulled off the bottom of the carpet. there was definalty a golf balls worth of salt under the drivers feet alone. I vacuumed and cleaned the carpet and it all came back to normal. I just figured this will be a yearly routine from now on.I might try and lay down some waterproof barrier to prevent the snow from melting and eventually rusting out the floor pans. But I just can't see something working perfectly because the pedals hinge from the floor. The carpet inserts look great!Billy

I have bought two mats for my car. The larger pant-saver one for the passenger side, it covers enough that it allows one to move one's feet about to be comfortable and retains all the melted snow. I check regularly to see if it's "full" and then remove it carefully and drain the water. So far no overspill. I just put it right over the smart winter mats, and it does not slide unless you really try to make it move, so its not nearly as annoying as I expected it to be.For the driver's side it was more difficult. The pant-savers are too long, which would mean cutting in a place which would remove the edge needed to retain the water, thereby defeating the purpose of buying the darn thing! I ended up getting one of those smaller rectangular mats meant for the rear seat foot-wells of small cars. I put that right snug against the forward edge of the smart winter mat, and when I rest my left foot on the footrest, most of the water runs onto the additional mat. the smart mat rarely gets wet at all there. The pedal foot heel also rests on the additional mat so that area too seems to stay dry. The additional mat required more frequent draining but it's quite easy with such a huge door the smart has to bend in, pull out the mat carefully and pop it back in. Ideally I would have liked the mats to be like the mercedes ones for my 190E. Those cover the floor totally, have a tall brim and nothing gets past them. But at least my smarty is protected like this. :)

Frequently changing small cotton towels under the mat also keeps the salt away from the carpet - I even do this in my ancient Ranger pickup. You don't want too many layers 'cause the mats might get in the way of the pedals leading to all kinds of potential excitment.Ian

Too bad they don't make a Husky liner for the Smart cars. My bro has them in his Jeep TJ...They are awesome for keeping water and dirt and stuff off your carpets. They keep the carpets clean and dry....Stupid car companies give you useless mats.

I bought a small mat from Canadian tire for the back seat of a larger car, it has a huge deep area made to catch and hold liguids. I have not installed it yet, its too cold out. One other thing I have been using for many years and now have in my smart car are doggy pee pads under the mats and cut around the pedals. Those doggy mats hold the moisture and they have a plastic bottom, they are also cheap and when they get wet you toss them out ! :D

I really have not had a problem as of yet with the "winter" mats, I just make sure that i knock off my shoes before i get in.. they have been keeping up with the little sludge i get in the car.. BUT i do also wash the car inside and out every week or two!

I really have not had a problem as of yet with the "winter" mats, I just make sure that i knock off my shoes before i get in.. they have been keeping up with the little sludge i get in the car.. BUT i do also wash the car inside and out every week or two!

I made my own winter mats, 'cause we get LOTS of snow and slush here.

Also 3 people drive this car, none of whom are fastidious about keeping dirt & moisture out.

They are butt ugly but hey they're floor mats, not Rembrandts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by BJSmart

If you made more of them I bet some of us would buy them!

Crappy tire big mats (can't remember the model, maybe pantsavers? Big ones, anyway.), reversed so the extension that is supposed to go under the pedals goes up over the under-seat box and tucks under the seat. Added a small piece of ribbed vinyl runner mat secured with velcro to rest my left foot on and drain into the main mat. At the front the mat tucks under the brake pedal nicely to catch drainage. No brake pedal interference! Check this very carefully with any mat in any vehicle. "Excitement" is bad in this area. Works like a charm. post-5138-1261843805_thumb.jpgNot quite as ugly as BJ's work of art (but form follows function, thus gorgeous?), very effective, with ribs to hold the slosh effect down.

Edited by Alex

Crappy tire big mats (can't remember the model, maybe pantsavers? Big ones, anyway.), reversed so the extension that is supposed to go under the pedals goes up over the under-seat box and tucks under the seat. Added a small piece of ribbed vinyl runner mat secured with velcro to rest my left foot on and drain into the main mat. At the front the mat tucks under the brake pedal nicely to catch drainage. No brake pedal interference! Check this very carefully with any mat in any vehicle. "Excitement" is bad in this area. Works like a charm. post-5138-1261843805_thumb.jpgNot quite as ugly as BJ's work of art (but form follows function, thus gorgeous?), very effective, with ribs to hold the slosh effect down.

My car came with a set of winter mats - Made by Michelin and probably from CT. PO had cut them to fit. Based on stains in mats and flor covering, they don't seem to have worked too well.