Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave&Maybel

Baby on the way

32 posts in this topic

I know I have seen this topic discussed before, but I don't really remember a definitive answer to it. Can a baby go in a smart car??? Legally??? Safely??? Not at all??? With my wife being pregnant and us having sold our truck (5th wheel toy hauler still for sale) and the smart being our only vehicle, I guess I'm going to need to know. From what I understand the passenger air bag cannot be shut off. Is that correct??? If that is the case is there any way that a baby in a car seat or even a small child can safely and/or legally ride in a smart car??? Thanx to all and Merry Xmas to everybody. Dave

I don't have a baby myself, but I know there is a top tether hook for a child seat in the 2008 Smart. Also there is an system called OCS (occupant classification system) that determines whether or not the airbag should be deployed in a collision. The smart manual has all the information you need starting on page 60.

You can find the manual HERE

Edited by sipsgas

On the Canadian 450's, there is no legal way to disable the passenger air bag in order to safely carry a baby in a car seat. I don't know about the 451'sMG

Congrats on the coming baby! I think it's time to get a family car......

My friend Cara has 3 kids under 10 and none of them are allowed to go for a ride in Nosedive. :( She looked into all the rules very thoroughly but said until they hit like 14 it's not allowed.-Iain

A front-facing baby seat, if the passenger seat is pushed all the way back, will be out of range of the airbag.

That's what I've read in more than one place. But I am not an authority. And it's your baby ;)

Bil :sun:

And the thing is, smart even MAKES baby seats (2 kinds!) for the old smart!! So I dunno...-Iain

My 2008 451 has a light in the overhead console - above the rear view mirror - that tells you if the passenger airbag is on or off. We have put our grand-daughter in that seat many times. The car seat does not weigh enough to turn on the airbag. It is comforting to be able to verify by the light that the front airbag will not inflate. I think the side one will continue to work for a side impact crash.

The other-than-North-America seats have a clip into which you install the smart baby seat base, into which the baby seat itself fastens. The base fitting disables the passenger side air bags.I don't know if Transport Canada forbade this system, or if MB/smart decided North Americans are too... dumb... to figure out how to use it properly. :dunno:

When I was given the "tour" of Onyx, the salesperson told me that the 451's have a sensor in the passenger seat that will de-activate the front air bag on that side if the weight in the seat is less than 50 lbs (or some figure close to that). As well, there is a clip at the back of the passenger's seat for the tether line to be attached to already attached to the "frame". He also stated that a child over 50 lbs and less than 12 years can use the passenger seat, as long as the seat is all the way back to keep that a reasonable distance from the airbag. He owns a smart himself and has grand kids so I trust him plus the light by the rear window mirror (mentioned by someone else) backs him up. Ask your dealer or MB.

Edited by Onyx11

The other-than-North-America seats have a clip into which you install the smart baby seat base, into which the baby seat itself fastens. The base fitting disables the passenger side air bags.I don't know if Transport Canada forbade this system, or if MB/smart decided North Americans are too... dumb... to figure out how to use it properly. :dunno:

Canada is part of the North America continent so not quite sure who you are referring to. Down Here in The United States the regulations vary in each state. Here in the state of Washington I regularly (legally) transport my great grandchildren in my 450. Edited by Alicejo1

Yes, you can place a child seat in the Smart For-Two. There are no regulations from Transport Canada stating that you are not allowed to (I looked into this specifically for the Smart and my Boxster).

Found this on the Smart 451 US Site:

The smart fortwo features highly efficient restraint systems that meet Mercedes-Benz's passive safety standards. Infant or children restraint systems (booster, infant or child seat) can be affixed properly to the passenger seat by means of the safety belt. A ratchet mechanism locates the tightly pulled safety belt and holds the infant/child restraint system in position. Please note that laws relating to the use and installation of infant or children restraint systems vary by jurisdiction. You will need to review the laws applicable to you prior to installing and using infant or children restraint systems in your smart fortwo.

An electronically controlled system will detect the weight of the occupant on the passenger seat or the installation of a child restraint system. The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) determines the appropriate mode of the dual stage full size front airbag deployment. For very young passengers for whom an airbag deployment could mean a serious risk, the front and side airbags will be deactivated. A control lamp in the center of the roof panel will show this clearly. Always check the control lamp to make sure the airbags are deactivated for very young passengers.

Smart USA FAQ

That's for the 2008 --> model; if it's the earlier one, it is a different story.

Thanx for all the feedback. It is as clear as mud now :) I will have to do some further investigating. Mike's earlier comment about needing a family car is a very good point. It is definite that we will be shopping for a 2nd car in the new year. Regardless of baby being able to ride in the smart, baby still makes three. We are not planning on giving up the smart completely though. By the way it is an '05 450, so I guess the info for the newer models doesn't help me. Thanx again and a very Merry Christmas to all. Dave

As Duck said earlier, they evewn make child seats for the 450. Here is a really good one by the looks of it. A bit pricey but when you consider the cargo its protecting. It would be worth every cent. http://shop.wellsmart.co.uk/smart-fortwo--...roduct-76-p.asp The best part is that it even states "Deactivation of the passenger airbag and seatbelt tensioner is not required!" Cheers

Edited by Dave&Maybel

I had to look up booster seats at one point for the 450."Booster seats" were allowed with the seat all the way back. I seem to remember that rear facing seats were not allowed. Not sure about the front facing ones.

Here is a reply I got from the website for the snart car seat in UK. It says that they are also out of US, which would lead me to believe that most (not all) standards are fairly equal between US and Canada. The homework continues...

David Yager wrote:> I am very interested in the above product. Is it legal in Canada to > drive with a baby in a smart car. I have an '05 450 Pure and I have > heard conflicting reports on this. Cheers, Dave Yager

HI David, I have just had a quick look around the internet as we are based in the UK & US it's not something we know a lot about! I've found that you shouldn't use non-Canadian seats in any car as they won't have been subjected to the testing that is done in Canada, the Air-Seat as far as I can find out from here has full European approvals but not for any other country. It is a product made by Recaro for Smart so there maybe a way around it due to this but I'd guess that unless it has the correct 'Maple leaf' logo tag on it then there could be issues. I don't see why you can not use a seat in a Smart though, as long as the airbag is disabled with a rear facing seat or the seat is pushed as far back as possible with a forward facing seat then there shouldn't be any problems with it, I know the US version of the new 451 has a top tether to allow fitting of child seats! I've had a quick look on this site http://forum.carseatdata.org/canada/ and some of the people seem quite clued up so might be worth posting the question on there. Best Wishes Kate

Didn't all Canadian 450's come with a sticker on the dash depicting no rearward facing child seats are to be used? I know mine has one. As there is no way to turn off the passenger airbag.

I checked the owners manual. On page 6-3 it says "Baby carrier cannot be used on the passenger seat since the passenger's airbag can not be deactivated" and "Do not use a rear-facing child restraint!"

Here in Ontario (your province may be different) Infants MUST be in a rear facing seat until they are 20 lbs. So, no kids in the car until they are 20lbs and can ride legally in a forward facing child seat or booster seat with the seat as far back as possible.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/sm...ove/index.shtml

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Canada is part of the North America continent so not quite sure who you are referring to.

North Americans.

Well, after all the rules and regs are read, I would think a careful parent could rig up a safe system in the back, behind the seats, that would safely hold and restrain a baby in a carrier. there are places to put bolts so you could tie in a high quality baby seat such that the baby would be cushioned, protected, and restrained in an accident. Cargo might be another matter now as you couldn't very well have cargo flying around next to your baby. Ingenuity might solve that too.

Well, after all the rules and regs are read, I would think a careful parent could rig up a safe system in the back,

I think you should go back and re-read "all the rules and regs" I highly doubt there is any legal (or even safe) way to do what you are saying.

Yes; besides, that is the car's only crush zone on the back end, a very very dangerous exposed area to have anything precious. Add to that the hard metal seatbacks and it's a recipe for disaster.

I know I have seen this topic discussed before, but I don't really remember a definitive answer to it. Can a baby go in a smart car??? Legally??? Safely??? Not at all??? With my wife being pregnant and us having sold our truck (5th wheel toy hauler still for sale) and the smart being our only vehicle, I guess I'm going to need to know. From what I understand the passenger air bag cannot be shut off. Is that correct??? If that is the case is there any way that a baby in a car seat or even a small child can safely and/or legally ride in a smart car??? Thanx to all and Merry Xmas to everybody. Dave

NO

anyone on this board or anywhere else who tells you this is ok is an idiot. You absolutely CAN NOT put a baby in a Smart car. I refrain from saying to you what I really feel for even thinking this is ok. Get a new car. Oh, and congrats on the baby. Dont be silly

anyone on this board or anywhere else who tells you this is ok is an idiot. You absolutely CAN NOT put a baby in a Smart car. I refrain from saying to you what I really feel for even thinking this is ok. Get a new car. Oh, and congrats on the baby. Dont be silly

EDIT: I've sent an e-mail to Smart Canada for further clarification and availability of infant/child seats for the Smart ForTwo 451. Once I hear back from them I will post their response.

In Ontario it is recommended that all Children up to the age of 13 sit in the rear seat, but it is not required by law.

MTO Child Safety Website

From Smart USA FAQ's:

The smart fortwo features highly efficient restraint systems that meet Mercedes-Benz's passive safety standards. Infant or children restraint systems (booster, infant or child seat) can be affixed properly to the passenger seat by means of the safety belt. A ratchet mechanism locates the tightly pulled safety belt and holds the infant/child restraint system in position. Please note that laws relating to the use and installation of infant or children restraint systems vary by jurisdiction.You will need to review the laws applicable to you prior to installing and using infant or children restraint systems in your smart fortwo.

An electronically controlled system will detect the weight of the occupant on the passenger seat or the installation of a child restraint system. The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) determines the appropriate mode of the dual stage full size front airbag deployment. For very young passengers for whom an airbag deployment could mean a serious risk, the front and side airbags will be deactivated. A control lamp in the center of the roof panel will show this clearly. Always check the control lamp to make sure the airbags are deactivated for very young passengers.

For the 450 found this from an older MB FAQ. In the 450 a rear facing infant seat cannot be placed in a Smart. This is not a definitive answer for the 451 though.

Old MB Canada Link for 450

Can a child ride in a smart fortwo?

Infants who sit in rear-facing car seats cannot ride in a smart fortwo coupé or cabriolet.

Children who sit in front-facing car seats or boosters can ride in the passenger seat of a smart fortwo coupé or cabriolet. The passenger seat should be moved to the furthest rear position and the car seat/booster should be secured with the vehicle's seat belt and tether strap according to the child seat manufacturer's instructions.

The passenger side seat belt, on both the coupé or cabriolet, has a locking system that will accommodate the use of conventional child-restraint seats, however, only the coupé is fitted with a child seat tether anchorage system. Because the smart's passenger side air bag cannot be deactivated, the seat should be moved to the furthest rear position and the use of a rear facing infant seat is not possible.

Edited by VRsyncro