Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave&Maybel

Baby on the way

32 posts in this topic

I think it has been established for the 450 that a rear facing child seat cannot go in the smart. My question is when the baby becomes a toddler and is in a front facing child seat. I remember reading in an older thread that MB Oakville had said that for around $500 you could have the airbag disabler switch installed. Not sure if anyone looked into this. If this was true then a front facing child seat is allowed in the front seat - you just have to disable the airbag when a child is riding in it. If true then not being able to put a baby in for the first 9-12 months isn't too bad if you want to keep the car. This is something I will also have to consider next year (hopefully). I'd love to keep the Smart as a second car for us but my husband is against keeping it if a child can't go in for 13 years if we head down the parental path. My thinking is that having a second car would really only be necessary when someone would be driving solo anyway but convincing him is a little tough. I love my smart car and don't want to give it up. :)

Good morning.

Given that my youngest child is turning 18 in a couple of months, this discussion is of academic interest only, but I did a quick search. I found this AMA link which has information and regulations as applicable in Alberta. There should be something similar for other provinces, but it still might help.

A common theme in the article I found is no rear facing seats with an airbag; something like a home made ejector seat can be the result. For front facing, it is a combination of how far back the seat can go, and how far out the airbag deploys.

Hope this helps

MG

I believe the Smart Manual states that with the passenger seat as far back as it can go, airbag deployment would not reach the child in a front facing child seat.However, I'd rather look into the disabler option then trust that the airbag would not reach that far back. It's hard to trust with no experience on it in Canada to go by.

Please find below the response I received from Mercedes-Benz Canada:

Dear Mr. XXX,Thank you for your interest in smart. Please note the BabySmart child seat is not currently available in Canada. We are working with Transport Canada to have the next generation BabySmart child seat approved for sale in Canada however, we have no further information on when this seat may become available. We understand that the BabySmart child seat is for sale in the United States and other markets around the world, however it does not comply with the more rigid child safety laws in Canada and we cannot recommend it for purchase.Please note the passenger's side airbag in the Canadian smart fortwo can be fitted with an optional airbag deactivation switch via your nearest smart dealer (applies to 2005 & 2006 models). The 2008 and 2009 model are already equipped with the OCS (occupant classification system) which automatically turns the passenger front airbag off as determined by the weight sensor in the seat. With the airbag disabled, the smart fortwo accommodates a forward-facing child restraint on the passenger seat. Do not use a rear facing child restraint in the smart fortwo. The passenger's seat belt has a special seat belt retractor for secure fastening of child restraints, in addition to the top tether anchorage.If you place a child in a forward-facing child restraint on the passengerseat, be certain to move the seat as far back as possible. In addition,use the proper child restraint recommended for the age, size and weight of the child and secure the child seat according to the manufacturer's instructions.Best regards,XXXCSI Co-ordinatorMercedes-Benz Canada Inc.smart Canada Division

I think we can safely say now that you cannot use a rear facing infant seat in a Smart ForTwo. That being said, a forward facing child seat can be used in both the 450 and 451. In the case of the 450, an airbag deactivation kit can be installed. POLEPOSITION - It is always prudent to get THE FACTS before accusing members of "idiocy". Cheers,Mike

Mike, if im reading correctly, you CAN NOT put a baby in a Smart. Correct? That said, I stand by my original posts. The OP specified, baby. NOT toddler. A baby can not go in a smart. A toddler can if fitted with the proper seat and even then I wouldnt do it and I have 2 boys ages 2 and 4 who press me constantly to go for a ride in the Smart. God Speed

Edited by poleposition

I know it's an old topic, but for people in Ontario, I have taken sooooo much flak from jackasses because I transport my child in a smart car. I called the ministry first 7 years ago - they said "No Problem". I talked to MB Canada - "No problem". You'd think that would be enough. Hopefully the people who have felt the need to impart their ignorance on me will read this article.

https://www.thestar.com/autos/2015/04/17/auto-know-that-infant-seat-can-be-used-in-the-fortwo.html

Just remember the safest car seat is the one thats in a car that doesn't get into a crash. Drive defensively instead of posting pictures of kids. Leave your cell phone alone. Invest in a bluetooth headset.

We can pretend that bigger is better and safer, but if everyone thought this selfishly we'd all be piloting around our aircraft carriers through the city. 

What good is having children if we give them a world destroyed by greed and ignorance.

It is permissible but you MUST engage the locking seat belt ratchet retractor for it to be safe, as per the owner's manual instruction.  And the seat must be tethered.  If you don't engage the seat belt locking ratchet function, the inertia reel belt will not work and the child will fly about the car in a collision.