Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cassini75

new mods for the week

30 posts in this topic

ok so i have been busy at work this week making this little thing, its made out of 1/4" aluminum plate since it was all i could find at work in the scrap bucket.

Sorry, some back ground, this car had been butchered up with some unsightly mods, and im adressing the main ones first, and this was one of them, there was some steel cheap mesh in there that would have been used for a side of a trailer or something, very cheap and rusting away really fast, and held it by silicone ACK!! anyways i wanted something unique, yet not too out of place, so here it is, a old school smart logo carved into brushed aluminum with a clear coat over it to maintain the look hopefully, its backlit with a led bar from Princess auto, and held in with stainless machine screws, and with the orginal plastic around it, it fits and bolts up like a OEM plastic one so theres the pictures,

Posted Image

Posted Image

moving on, with me doing all this running back and forth to London, the passenger since to me in my opinion just isnt enough leg room, yes i know its 2" further back etc, but just doesn't do it for me, so i took that foam block out, popped a hold through the carpet for the plastic nut to hold it in place. Next i used some corrugated plastic to fill in some of the holes and such, i havent got to the carpet yet but you can get the idea, and so much nicer on the legs and ankles for those long runs

oh yea the emergency kit and all the trimings, fits in the glove box along with the pouch without a problem

Posted Image

Both those mods are sweet. I truly like the smart logo, heat shield, you may find you could market those.Alan

well i sorta do, my dad works for a company that has a waterjet, but with this i just hand cut with a plasma cutter, and filed and used a dremal to get the affect since i didnt know how it would turn out or look

Yes please work out a price, if your making a bunch. I would like it without lights so that I could make the chichen head yellow.Alan

i was going to do the chicken head yellow/orange, was going to make a box around it and weld it onto the backside and light it up with a single led,as i have the materials for it, but i got lazy and just wanted it on by the end of the this week, once i have the other stuff done, i'll end up going back to itas for the waterjet, i have the omax software, and if i supply the materials and the cut files, i can slide the buddy a 24 of beer to get it cut, something i should look at next week i guess if there's enough interest. I have the drawing which i used for a stencil to cut it out so its 1/2 there already

Shall look forward to seeing your car when the London and area group meets and you have an opportunity to attend. It looks really neat!---- Alberta

i was going to do the chicken head yellow/orange, was going to make a box around it and weld it onto the backside and light it up with a single led,as i have the materials for it, but i got lazy and just wanted it on by the end of the this week, once i have the other stuff done, i'll end up going back to itas for the waterjet, i have the omax software, and if i supply the materials and the cut files, i can slide the buddy a 24 of beer to get it cut, something i should look at next week i guess if there's enough interest. I have the drawing which i used for a stencil to cut it out so its 1/2 there already

Do you think 3 or 4 of these, is a possibility?In aluminum, and will be a little different wording.Steve

post-3704-1231638706_thumb.jpg

LOVE the smart heat shield! Very very nice mod. Gorgeous even. Could be a very popular product worth turning out. You might want to address your friend re: putting out a run of these, even without the lighting setup. If you can make them so they're a fairly simple bolt-in fix, they'd sellable. Might want to do a cost analysis of doing a run of them. I don't know how many you'd be able to sell but there's merchants here who handle smart merchandise and if you can give them a good wholesale price they'd probably buy a run off you and handle the bother of inventory and sales.Also, the footwell, what did you use to protect and cover the battery contacts? I wouldn't want my passengers stamping their feet over the battery without solid protection. The air compressor and tools I could easily shift into my two toolboxes I keep in lieu of a glove box but I worry about safely covering that battery. My husband would really appreciate the extra legroom.

well theres about a 1/2" of foam on the backside of the carpet that's original, and it lays on the battery, in my opinion its not a problem since its kinda tucked out of the way already, although it would give more room if the battery was about 1-2" shorter and flush with the floor. I took my mom to london with me yesterday as she wanted to go for a ride in it, and she streched her legs all the way out and still didnt hit the back, although shes only 5'8". Im 6' and it makes a huge difference since my legs and ankles get cramped with it stock, now i can stretch out and its no problem,

Also, the footwell, what did you use to protect and cover the battery contacts? I wouldn't want my passengers stamping their feet over the battery without solid protection. The air compressor and tools I could easily shift into my two toolboxes I keep in lieu of a glove box but I worry about safely covering that battery. My husband would really appreciate the extra legroom.

I'd need something more rigid. #1 I've got battery charger clamps on the thing that I want undisturbed. Granted they could be (and should be) replaced with O rings. Mostly though I recall my drive yesterday on the highway with an enthusiastic friend. We were on the road all day and the tunes playing turned up loud (hooked up a eee pc into the stereo for high capacity music play) Well she got into the songs yes she did, foot stomping, hand waving, head bobbing fun. Yep, foot stomping. So I'd like something more rigid because you never know who's going to be riding along some time.

I also would be interestedin one. I think it looks pretty cool with led light. Would like to stop in sometime when I get back to work in Feb. as I work in sarnia.

ok, so new week, new mod, this week i have been quite busy and haven't had a change to finish these. They still need to be bent to shape, and holes drilled for bolting, and polished and buffed but you get the point. Anyways, i should have them installed in the next few days hopefully

if your looking and wondering still what they are, there paddle shifter handles

Posted Image

ok i finally got around to finishing up these shift paddles today, took a bit of fine tuning to get the angles and such right but they look and feel alot better than stock

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those look very sporty! Do the oem paddles just kind of snap out, or did you have to pull the column apart, or...?Let's make a deal! /B :sun:

in the morning when its cold and i drink my coffee on the way to work, so i just hit the auto button and drive, i also like using the auto when driving on slippery and icy conditions so i have full control of the wheel

A little chilly maybe in the cold weather? ;)