Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smartspirit

identify this leak

83 posts in this topic

Hello,Over the last two days, I noticed a couple of 3 inch diameter oil spots in my driveway. Well, I looked underneath, and found a leak. But I do not know where the leak is really coming from. Does anyone have a clue? To give you an idea, the leak is coming from just above the tranny. Follow the cock you open up filling your transmission when changing the transmission fluid (the oil flows right over the tranny) straight up, and you will be there. Not sure what that sensor is, or how it is attached, but could use some help on how to take it off and put it back on with a new seal. ScangaugeII shows no codes.Blessings,Edpost-6368-1231628739_thumb.jpgpost-6368-1231628701_thumb.jpgpost-6368-1231628792_thumb.jpgAmendment: This is a bigger problem than is apparent. Look at the last part of this discussion for a the cause of this leak!

Edited by Smartspirit

That looks exactly like the trouble I had. My intercooler was cracked, combined with a failed turbocharger bearing. The oil that floats the rotor of the turbocharger was being blown into the intercooler, then pooling, and leaking out the crack.In my case it was obvious because the lowest point on the intercooler was right over the left drive shaft, so the oil would drip onto that, and spray radially out, coating the transmission case as well.-Iain

Ok, then does anyone have instructions on how to take the intercooler out and change out the seals?Blessings,Ed

The fact that there is oil in there indicates that the turbocharger's bearings are failing (and allowing engine oil to pass through the turbocharger compressor side, into the intercooler, and ultimately through the engine where it's burned).I see you're in the States so I assume you have a 450 Gasser, in which case I'm not sure what you'll be able to do... :( Sorry.-Iain

He has one of those "illegal" cdi smarts! So yeah, probable turbo failure. Troublesome little swines, aren't they?

Yup. Or at least the several thousand dollar hole in my wallet tells me! Never again...-Iain

It may not be a turbo failure per se... it could be a leaking intercooler combined with a shot intake gasket...But the volume of oil is a bit much for just a shot seal... a leaking gasket ($5.00 part) will only result in 3 small half inch spots on the ground from time to time, from my experience.If the intake gasket is gone, then the CCV vapour which recirculates back into the engine to get burnt will allow oily goo to leak out... and yes, it coats parts fairly good, expecially once road moisture gets added to the mix.The best idea is to remove the rear panel, clean it all up, then drive for a bit and see where the leak(s) are coming from. You may have a cheap fix, or maybe an intercooler as noted. Or possibly the turbo is going.... start with the simple stuff. A rebuilt turbo is cheap enough. smart142 can hook you up.

Edited by smartzuuk

That make sense. Will the intake gasket leak only leak on the bottom? I have no spray on top of the engine. Everything is on the bottom. Strange is that as much as it seems to leak, I don't really lose that much. It is coming up on time to change oil, and I have not had to add any oil yet. I may have to add about a third of a quart, and that is all.Plus, Smartuuk, you are right. it cannot be a turbo failure. This leak has been going on for about three months now (30,000 miles or 48,000 km). Hope I got that right. You would think that after 30K miles, the turbo would have failed if that was the problem. I have been told that these engines are prone to leak due to vibration, but I would like to plug up the leak, none-the-less. The car has 80K miles or 136Km, and I would like to see it go 300K miles. And I think it will easily do that.Blessings,Ed

I also think you might want to know that the leak only occurs when I drive high way. If I drive around town, it does not leak. I will try to clean up the area again when I know I am taking a couple of short trips. I might catch it leaking from a specific place then.

Edited by Smartspirit

Will the intake gasket leak only leak on the bottom? I have no spray on top of the engine. Everything is on the bottom. Strange is that as much as it seems to leak, I don't really lose that much.

Well, gravity being what it is, the mess will go down... even the intercooler seal would leak down.I would say get yourself a 00004621V002000000 and clean 'er up... see how it works out.Re: oil level when hotIs your oil level say, 5 minutes after turning off the hot car (of course allowing the turbo to cool slightly before yout DO turn off the car), halfway between min and max? Good, keep it like that. Not higher.

Seeing as I have two on the shelf... here's what the seal looks like.Gets hot, add oil from ccv, eventually breaks down.

post-43-1235447486_thumb.jpg

Edited by smartzuuk

What's this ITG filter?

http://evilution.co.uk/366 Not sure they make one for the 451 yet.

Very nice tri-density 5-micron foam. A drop-in replacement for smart oem air box. Cost about $80CAD but a superb upgrade, especially in dusty environments like the Okanagan or dry desert States....... Zoooom! I used this one before I went all eXtreme on my intake. Sold it on to Robert in VA.

B :sun:

P.S. awesome high-altitude mod!

Edited by bilgladstone

Want a spare turbo on the cheap?

This guy has been selling them on line for two years already. I think he must be on the receving end of Mercedes Canada's parts recycling program... where all the midiagnosed 'faulty' turbos are sent away.

Can anyone confirm this is the correct p/n for our MkVII 2004-2006 CDi?

KP31 002, A 660 096 01 99, 001 1790 V001

Where does the seal go, and how much for it? Do you have any directions for taking off the intercooler for inspection?Ed

Where does the seal go, and how much for it?

Should be under $10 from your dealership.

where it says crankcase, substitute valve cover.

Posted Image

Oily fumes are sucked into the air stream, causing a long cascade of negative results.

HTH,

Bil :sun:

There is a TSB about vibrations causing the intecooler to rub against its mount, eventually wearing through the intercooler (which normally has some oil in it) causing it to leaking. Judging from your pictures that is what I would say the problem is. Intercoolers are a pain to change. I don't think you will be able to do it without dropping the engine. There are also a few weak plastic and aluminum tabs connecting the intercooler and mount together, careful not to break them. IMO if you are going to change the intercooler change the mount also.

Great info; I sure would like to see some of the other TSB info here too!

Can anyone confirm this is the correct p/n for our MkVII 2004-2006 CDi?

KP31 002, A 660 096 01 99, 001 1790 V001

It's been listed on the site a few times... we've had other topics just about this guy that sells these turbos. He has a nearly endless supply it would seem.

As for geting at the intercooler.... don;t ask me. The turbo intake seal is easy enough though.

the problem is not the intake seal. No leaking there. Always comes back to the intercooler. If replaced, will the same problem happen again? Or is there a permanant fix? I will put in my shopping list on another part of the forum. I need other things besides a new intercooler with mount.

Have you check the TIK pipe or the breather pipe. As the hot engine oil vapour travel around the charger and intercooler, when cooled down they condensed to liquid form and look clean. It will sip out around the piping/joint of the intercooler, charger or TIK/breather pipe when the charger built up pressure again, say you are revving hard. If left unattended, it will clogged up the intercooler then the charger. Causing either or both to bust under high pressure. Just my view.

I do not know where the TIK pipe is at? I need some pictures of where to check and what to check. I may have to work with someone to take the whole thing out for inspection and then fix it on the fly. Looking at ordering a new intercooler.Question: If it is the intercooler that has rubbed against the mount, would a rubber grommet or washer help absorb the vibration?

TIK pipe link the charger to the air intake/filter box. From top see the look at the charger, on the left there's black pipe, that;s the TIK, there should be two smaller piping out, check the second outer for oil. For the intercooler, check the piping from the manifold to the intercooler.

Edited by JKA6373