Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gent

2009 Pacific Northwest smart Event

201 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

Jerry at the BC Driving Centre is wondering if we'd like to do another track day in 2009. If we book soon, we'll have a better choice of dates.

What do you think?

Here is a link to the 2008 event to refresh your memories: http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=9940

Go to the end to sign up!!!

Edited by Gent

I really enjoyed the last one. But I'd rather have an actual day out on a track than driving lessons again. :drive:

Bil :sun:

+1, I would rather do Mission if we had a choice.Or if we use the same place again, maybe a real slalom would be possible....?

I'd definitely drop by for the show n' shine part...Too bad it started to rain half way last time!

We're in for anything like that, but I would like track time better for sure. ;)

Edited by Coast Steve

Gent, If you can make it happen at Mission, I'm there - you know I am not just saying that!Also, I now have a benchmark Montreal to Vangroovy trip time to better :nos:

Blair, pop some NOS on the Smart and see what that does :D Probably a few minutes of good power , then a big explosion.

Steve...A few minutes of good power and then a big explosion?I live for those two sublime sensations.

I really enjoyed the last one. But I'd rather have an actual day out on a track than driving lessons again. :drive:

Bil :sun:

I'm in......

-Information on Mission raceway driving school -

Yes Count SmartieUSA and Mrs SmartieUSA in.

We did the research last year on mission and were just waiting till the end of the month to post things

and get the interest going again.

I also had a quote from Pacific raceway in Seattle and the cost was way too high.

The event in Seattle would cost us over $500 each and includes lunch and a day of instructed track time.

If we want it Smart only private event it had to be mid week or the cost went up another hundred dollars each.

The event in Mission did not include lunch but was about half the cost and could be a weekend.

We could have it catered and still come in under $300.00

I suggest we have a club provided continental breakfast then

Have a catered lunch or have someone bring in lunch.

I will confirm the information we had and we can get going on schedule etc.

The Mission web site only highlights the drag strip but

You can see the Mission road course here.

http://www.sccbc.net/

SmartieUSA

Edited by SmartieUSA

Is Mission Raceway just a straightline drag strip? If so - sorry - not interested :no: I'd pay a little more for a road racing event.Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

Is Mission Raceway just a straightline drag strip? If so - sorry - not interested :no: I'd pay a little more for a road racing event.Bill The mission site is rubbish in that it only covers drag racing.I updated my post to show the link to the road course info.http://www.sccbc.net/Bil :sun:

Bill The mission site is rubbish in that it only covers drag racing.

I updated my post to show the link to the road course info.

http://www.sccbc.net/

Yeah, the site led me to believe all there was for action was go-then-stop racing. B o r i n g...

But the track looks WAY more fun! :sun: :sun:

Posted Image

I would love to be able to do this. Unfortunately the distance prevents me. Being from the Pacific North West and loving the smart, this sound like way too much fun. Hope to see lots of photos when all is said and done.- Andy

Jerry has said that we can do it at Mission, and although it will be more expensive than last year, it will only be a little more expensive!! Sorry to be vague, but I accidently deleted the email. I've asked him to resend the $ values.Sounds golden so far.

Looks like a fun little track, I haven't seen any pics of it yet though. I wonder if it has those heavy Concrete "car wrecking barriers" or nice grass and gravel run offs.

Edited by Coast Steve

Looks like a fun little track, I haven't seen any pics of it yet though. I wonder if it has those heavy Concrete "car wrecking barriers" or nice grass and gravel run offs.

They race motocycles there, so looks like grass and gravel runoffs.MG

Jerry's email:

"What I was thinking about was a track day at Mission for the club. The cost is more (last year $6500) this year, although they haven't given us exact numbers, just that its going up. But if you base it on 40 participants, at last year's numbers, we would be at 162.50 each.

The race track is an absolute blast. The way that we structure our day is basically an 830 start (registration/coffee/doughnuts) followed by classroom of about 30 minutes. Then we go to the track and do some warmup exercises (slalom, braking, cornering) and then we do some orientation lapping to get the participants familiar with the track. Then we split the group in 2, 1 group to advanced classroom (cornering techniques, trail braking etc) while the other group is on the track. If 20 cars are on the track, there would be 4 instructors with 5 cars each. Instructor as passenger in the lead car of the 5 and coaching that driver, the other 4 follow the line. The other 3 instructors would do the same with their 5 people. Then after a few laps, instructor moves into another car etc etc.

About 25 minutes or so, the 2 groups switch, and so on. The people get lots of seat time!

We do track days with all sorts of different clubs (BMW, Mustang, Audi, Subaru), so our guys have lots of experience. We also run the Mercedes Benz Driving Academy, which includes lots of track days across Canada http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?id=625

Like I said, I'm not sure what the exact pricing will look like yet, once I find out, I will pass it on. Also, I will have to see what days are available, and I will let you know, but if you have a preference, let me know asap. FYI Sat/Sun are rare as they are usually hosting races. There may be some in Oct or March though. However, a weekday is easier to accommodate. You could bring your bbq again if you like, whatever you decide, we will make it fun!"