Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IMSMRT

How-To: Turn on Sound Upgrade

44 posts in this topic

Found this on the other site and when I did it to my radio I got the beep and the display said "sound on"

Didn't make much difference. I thought it might have since my new front speakers have tweeters built in...

Anyways here was the procedure that was posted that I tried and I edited for spelling and clarity:

"You can test this by turning your radio off and holding the music note looking button and while keeping it pressed turn the radio back on. Keep the music button pressed untill you hear a beep."

posted by gogojuice.

S

That's interesting, Sean!

I don't suppose there would be any sound improvement to the oem radio/CD without hardware upgrades like tweeters and better speakers, eh?

I turned it on on my radio for fun and there was no difference. I dont have either sound upgrade. I do have better front 4" speakers with small tweeters built in but they get their signal from the main speaker connection. I would have to look at the wiring diagram again to see where any improved sound might come from...we know it goes to theose small tweeters they add at the dealer....

So unless you have the dealer upgrade and you think it still sucks it might be worth trying this to see if it was actually activated! I wouldnt hold much hope in an improvement at any rate...

S

I will give this a try today. I'm pretty sure mine is on as it's got a pretty decent sound to it as it is. I've heard some less-than-stellar reviews on the base sound system and if people were saying that about what I've been hearing thus far, I'd say they've just been spoiled as far as car stereos go up to this point. Or perhaps all my previous car sound systems were ass. Who knows. :D

I had heard the basic when I had the dealers car and I thought it was horrible. So when I got my car I had the upgrade and it was a big improvement. A real big improvement. It was only after I started to play with the treble settings that I really noticed all that was changing was the sound from the speakers in the bass bins. On further examination trying to get my head close to the tweeters, which are on the dash, I realized I couldn't hear a thing no matter what I did to the treble, up or down didn't make one once of differance. I asked jackblack if he could hear any diff and he said yes.

My original settings were bass 0-2 and trebble always on 14. Jackblack thought that was too high and I agreed. Looked at some of the posts on here and noticed that some times it needs to be activated. I had all the other settings like loudness and expert settings before

SO..... when I activated it the tweeters came on and now I can really hear them. I haven't listened to it enough to see if there is alot of difference over all yet.. Just it was now obvious that the tweeters were activated.

now the settings are in line bass 0-2 trebble 2

Hope this helps.. you will know if it is activated if you sett your trebble high.. its real easy then to see if they come on or not.

I only have the factory radio and speakers.

Will it suddenly become a bass thumper.. errrr no. But you may get a fuller sound with the tweeters and bypass actually working (since you paid for them)

As many of you know, I have 6x9 speakers in the tailgate running on the stock deck. I just raced out to the garage to try this latest trick. There is a big difference but I'm not exactly sure what I'm hearing. There is either more bass or more power, hard to say which, but it is substantial. You have to have better speakers to see an improvement. We need Basspod to give it a try to see what he comes up with. He's the guy with the ground pounding 1000 watt system in his car. BTW, you think lots of teenagers like our cars? You should see what happens when he cranks that thing up. It's like a teen magnet. Leaves a great first impression. It's as though people can't believe that such big sound can come from such a small car. :dj:

Sorry about beating you to the post gogojuice. I had not seen you post in here in a while and thought I would share this tidbit in case you didn't. I also wanted to put it somewhere where it was easy to access.

Cheers!

S

I seem to recall that the sound upgrade uses the rear stereo outputs as the high range when it's used with that gadget thats installed inline with it.

Want to bet that turning on the feature mentioned above changes how it outputs on the rear channels?

No problem I M SMRT

I dont have the rear speakers, just the stock deck and the stock front speakers and tweeters. I am looking into putting some rear 5 1/4 "I think" in the tail gate.

I went to listen to some.. hmm.... they should sound better I hope in the smart (smaller enclosures)

As a side note the installer said that you cant hook up the front to the left channels and the rear to the right channel it will not be in stereo then.

I have no idea as this is not my field.

My first opinion is I dont think he is right. Perhaps someone can give me some feed back on this pls.

Thanks

Music is recorded so that some sounds come from the left and some from the right ....just like any sound you hear. If you put the speakers as you said you are no longer making the sound come out as it was recorded/intended. The left sound is coming out in front and the right from the rear (or vice versa) It will not mix well in your ear and you would be disappointed with the sound.

Stereo sound is all about the left and right differences making one complete sound.

Hope that made sense!

S

I seem to recall that the sound upgrade uses the rear stereo outputs as the high range when it's used with that gadget thats installed inline with it.Want to bet that turning on the feature mentioned above changes how it outputs on the rear channels?

1 3 5 72 4 6 8The upgrade chip installs into the bottom of the radio and cassette unit, the CD player has the unit built in already.When the upgrade is turned off it outputs the combined right channel through 3 and 4, combined left channel through 5 and 6.When the sound upgrade is turned on...1 and 2 are tweeter right3 and 4 are midrange right5 and 6 are midrange left7 and 8 are tweeter left.

Turns out mine wasn't active! It did make a difference. I'm at bass +2 and treble 0 now.

Wow.. I thought it was just my car that may not have been activated, or forgot about during the pdi.Hmm..Would there be any reason as to not activate it?Good to see Gent. Lets see how many more people haven't had theirs activated

I tried this on my stock set-up (with the sound upgrade). It seems to toggle the small tweeters on and off. Luckily, my car arrived with the setting ON, so I can see how someone with the upgrade who hadn't had it activated would be really disappointed with the extra $195 spent.

Given that the sound upgrades are installed at the factory, wouldn't they be the ones responsible for activating this setting on the cars with sound upgrades? It may not have been the dealer's duty during PDI ? if they even know about this...

Ya.. I dont know Dan..

I'll have to ask the dealer when I see them..

They still owe me the block heater and the underseat drawer.. and the $50 which I plan to use for my steeles.

Important thing is that we now know and people now check.

Its a 2 second check.. so why not

I'll let you know what the dealer says

Cheers

As many of you know. Some time ago, I disconnected my front speakers and installed 6x9's in my tailgate. Today, I reconnected the front speakers as well and I hooked them up to the tweeter outputs that Evilution posted. The "sound" upgrade is turned on and now the stereo sounds much better and much louder. It's quite good now.

Once again it is a case of smart owners taking care of each other with details for their cars. :bowdown: Don't want to go off :BlahBlah: but so many things were and continue to be missed, overlooked, or not bothered with on our vehicles. I know its really only a minor thing but a "first class" automobile company like Mercedes should pride themselves on all areas of product delivery. Then again we did pay 30,000 less then the real cars didn't we. Okee Dokee..... I'm done

Oh yeah mine was not turned on, but I bet you already guessed that :lookaround:

Thanks again guys for the information.

Did show me this on the delivery....he went over the car from top to bottom....showed me everything...and turned this off and back on with me sitting in the driver's seat.

Congrats to Peter for knowing his stuff!

don't forget about the high delivery/pdi costs some people are paying too

I changed out my factory deck so I can't try it. Thanks for the tip.

I noticed this weekend on the rental I took out that if you hold down the CD button (it has a little letter "a" under it, with the "play" icon), for about 3 seconds, the radio will let out a nice tone and go into some "Expert" mode, with a whole lot of gobbeldegook settings. I wonder what that's all about? Looks pretty neat, whatever was in there. Options like ignition, safe, phones, stuff like that. I dunno what it all is!

-Iain

I noticed this weekend on the rental I took out that if you hold down the CD button (it has a little letter "a" under it, with the "play" icon), for about 3 seconds, the radio will let out a nice tone and go into some "Expert" mode, with a whole lot of gobbeldegook settings. I wonder what that's all about? Looks pretty neat, whatever was in there. Options like ignition, safe, phones, stuff like that. I dunno what it all is!

-Iain

It lets you set up extra features for the unit. Like disabling AM and adding/removing the phone features and it's default settings etc... Pretty much there is no reason to go in there. It's all listed in the Radio manual.

I just liked the tone it emitted when I pressed the button. Kind of a little honk. It's cute. :)

-Iain

Our fortwo has the upgraded speakers but i didn't realize until yesterday that the head unit did not have the upgrade enabled. I pressed the button combo and it's like it finally came to life. Still not spectacular sound, but infinitely better than it was before.

Whatever would we do without shared knowledge such as this?

It is amazing. So often one of us finds a juicy morsel and it ends up being the customer telling the dealers/techs how the car REALLY works!

The sound check on/off should really be caught during a PDI shouldn't it? You paid enough to have a PDI....but for what? Take the plastic off the seats?

S

I was so dissatisfied with the "upgraded" audio package that i was seriously considering adding a subwoofer to fill out the sound. It was really hollow sounding and way too directional. There was no mistaking the fact that the only speakers were right up at the front of the car.

Now that i've enabled the head unit (essentially turning on a crossover so the dual-range speakers work as they should), the sound is so much better that i'm no longer thinking about a sub to enhance the sound quality. It's much fuller and less directional thanks to the added bass and crisper treble. I may still consider a sub just to make the sound even less directional, but so far, i'm MUCH more pleased with the upgrade.