MikeT

Peugeot 404 Coupé And Cabriolet

610 posts in this topic

Since the last post, I've found six more, so we are at 1329 Peugeot 404 Coupés and Cabriolets [C] accounted for as of today.

That is 7.72% of all 404 C cars ever built.

As a point of comparison, we have in 20.79% of all smart 450s in Canada spotted, mind you that is for a virtually new car with a visible-to-anyone VIN. For the 404 C inventory, we have to contact owners and ask them to pass the VIN along....it's a lot more work, and the newest 404 C is 41 years old.

Our Canadian smart 451 inventory is not doing as well as that of the 450 (or the 404 C) at only 4.35% of all cars in Canada spotted thus far.

Update: now I have 1346 of these cars in my VIN database. 1400 by year's end is looking possible, or even likely.......

I've scored 6 more in the last 10 days, so the total is at 1352 cars "found". 48 to go to hit this year's target.

4 more in the last 2 days, so I am at 1356 and counting. A thrill a minute!

Got 9 more since the last post, so the total is 1365 cars. That is more or less 8% of every one ever made, between 1961 and 1968.

Five more have been found since my last post here 5 weeks ago. All I need to do is average just under one a week to hit my goal of 1400 "spotted" 404 C cars by year's end!

Good news came this evening from icy cold Finland Three more 404 C cars were added to the list, all of which were originally imported to Finland when the cars were new in the 'sixties: 4593385 - Coupé Injection 4498368 - Cabriolet 4498629 - Cabriolet in red - restored in early 2009 then the front was damaged in a collision; the car needs a new front wing Total: 1380 cars! That is 8.01% of the total 404 C production!!

Got two more in the past 4 days.....1382! If this keeps up, I'll be approaching the "spotted 450 cdi" total soon ;)

Edited by Mike T

Since that last post, I have found four more Peugeot 404 C cars. 1386.....I want to get to 1400 by year's end, it may still be possible!

I got the 1400th 404 Coupé/Cabriolet VIN today, 4 days into the new year. So I almost made my target!!

I've got another ten since then, total: 1410. The latest is from Tunisia.

And six more have been added: 2 in France, 1 in Belgium and 4 in the Netherlands.1416 total! Boo yeh!

Five more: 1421 "found". That is over 8.25% of the total original production.

I have found another one in Madrid, so the total has crept up to 1422......

Plus one in Switzerland, No. 4590544, a blue Cabriolet. Total: 1423 cars! Close to 8.3% of all cars made!

Here are the photos of the latest Swiss car:

post-5-1278015371_thumb.jpg

post-5-1278015392_thumb.jpg

Another 404 Coupé was added to the list today, bringing the total to 1424 cars:

Posted Image

Got two more, total is now 1426.Blue one in Germany; Red one in South Africa.

post-5-1279519577_thumb.jpg

post-5-1279519606_thumb.jpg

Two more:4497157 - Cabriolet in Madrid4595379 - Coupé in New Zealand1428 cars.

Two more: the white one No. 4499106 (photo taken in South Africa) is now better loved and in Cairns Australia and the red Cabriolet No. 4499148 is in Rosenheim Germany (and was a US model with red turn signals on the back and MPH speedometer + carby engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Total: 1430 cars!

I've scored three more 404 C VINs since the last update, two with photos (not posted unless someone asks), one in Greece, one in Venezuela and another in Slovenia!

1433 cars!