Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlyingTigerDevelopment

Soo, how about that snow storm?

5 posts in this topic

They say freezing temperatures will take hold on Sunday, bringing with them heavy downfalls of the white stuff.Bitterly cold winds from Russia will then arrive on Monday and Tuesday.People have been advised to wrap up warm and expect disruption on the roads.The eastern parts of England and Scotland are said to be at greatest risk of snow showers in the first part of next week.However, eastern Wales may also be affected and forecasters have refused to rule out any part of Britain from being affected.Cold weather has made roads hazardousSnow could cause hazardous conditionsSunday will see maximum temperatures of between 2C and 5C although temperatures will fall during the course of the day.The mercury could then plunge to minus 6C by night in some locations, though generally temperatures of between minus 1C and minus 3C are expected.On Monday temperatures will struggle to get above zero.Meteorologist Michael Dukes said the last time the winter months were as cold was in 1995-1996.During that winter, in particular in December, the weather was very cold and windy with plenty of snow.On December 30 1995 the UK national lowest temperature of minus 27.2C was equalled - recorded in the Scottish village of Altnaharra.Earlier this month, temperatures plunged to lows of minus 13C during a three-week freeze.Conditions finally improved and became milder from mid-January.

A pretty nasty storm by any standards(up to 30 cm in London and 50 cm in some higher elevations & more northerly areas by the time it finishes). It will really cripple the country as they just don't have the snow removal equipment, snow tires, etc. to deal with this amount of snow. When I was younger, our family moved back and forth between Scotland & Canada quite a few times so I was used to snow, but I remember a little 10 cm snow storm shutting down my hometown (Dundee) for about 3 days....no school, no buses, and businesses shut. Hopefully they have a little more snow equipment now then they did back then...garth

Edited by garthD

Hey come on it wasn't that bad!At least in the UK I had snow chains as well as snow tyres and I used them. (on my MG Midget!) I was one of the few other than emergency vehicles moving around Cheshire at the time. We also installed them on a friends Marina and went looking for ski hills. The Marina was not good in snow even with chains as it built up under the floor pan and lifted the driving wheels off the ground!Sking however was good but tiring as there were no ski lifts on the moors.

It really was that bad during that particular storm though I think freezing rain caused part of the havoc and not just the snow. My dad had a Marina while we were living in Auchterarder. Can't remember if he had snow chains for it but it was a hilly area so he probably did. He also had 2 Marina's when we moved back to Canada and they were lousy in the snow, and also lousy in rainy, sunny and windy conditions...did well on blocks in the garage awaiting repair though...Seems the current storm wasn't as severe as predicted today...garth

Edited by garthD